Tailgating Season

H8IAST8

Tailgating season is almost upon us. I would like to get a review of the different lots around the stadium. I would like to include a craziness factor 1-10 (1 being Grandma forgot the silverware, a 10 being streaking co-eds), average age of tailgaters, parking passes only, price to get into lot, and when the lot opens.

I'll write a few down, feel free to add to it.
Finkbine:
Craziness- ?
Avg. Age:
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens:
Dental:
Craziness- ?
Avg. Age:
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens:
Myrtle Ct.
Craziness- 7
Avg. Age: 25ish
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens: Friday @ ?

Last edited:
Well craziness of Olive Court should be at zero considering it has been shut down due to them building apartments there.

Tailgating season is almost upon us. I would like to get a review of the different lots around the stadium. I would like to include a craziness factor 1-10 (1 being Grandma forgot the silverware, a 10 being streaking co-eds), average age of tailgaters, parking passes only, price to get into lot, and when the lot opens.

I'll write a few down, feel free to add to it.
Finkbine:
Craziness- ?
Avg. Age:
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens:
Dental:
Craziness- ?
Avg. Age:
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens:
Olive Ct.
Craziness- 7
Avg. Age: 25ish
Price (car/SUV):
Lot Opens: Friday @ ?

Finkbine: golf course lot
Craziness- 4...mostly laid back. Families and 30 somethings. Also a lot of visiting fans. Some out of college types so you get some beer pong and beer bongs going.
Avg. Age: 30's
Price (car/SUV): was $15.00 last year
Lot Opens: 7:00 am

Will the Hancher lot be open this fall? I know they are doing some construction/demolition over there.

Well craziness of Olive Court should be at zero considering it has been shut down due to them building apartments there.

When was this shut down? What is the lot a block north of the gas station on Myrtle? Myrtle Ct?

hey, I always made it into Kinnick during the first quarter, if I missed kickoff

sorry, never been a pregame tailgater ...
I am warming up to it though, and I do like the Hancher lot

Last edited:
609 Melrose: Used to be a private lot, but the University took it over two years ago.

Craziness- 5--fairly low key now, but a lot of drinking. Was much crazier when anyone could park there. It is mostly a grass lot, which means a lot of stuck cars if it is raining.
Avg. Age: 35+
Price (car/SUV): $20 per car. No RV's.
Lot Opens: My group usually rolls in around 6:30am for 11am games. This for the night games they open around 9am or so.

How about St. Andrews Presbyterian across from Sunset and Melrose? Tailgating there for Ball St. How does that rate? And yes I will have passes. Tailgating in the lot, not the church, btw.

I can't remember it too much but years ago i was in the Dental Lot and it was really tame.
Craziness: 3
Avg. Age: 30+
Price: ?
Time Open: ?
Parking Pass only i believe

So the carziest lost so far is the Myrtle Lot? Man tailgating has gone through some drastic changes the last 10 years.

R.I.P. Fieldhouse Parking Lot

I sometimes park at the Mennonite church across from the Myrtle Lot.

Craziness: 3
Avg. Age: 35+
Price: $20
Time Open: Around 7 A.M. on Saturday. Although people got there early for an ISU game 2 years ago and they were going to cars already parked and collecting. It was kind of funny.

Very family friendly. Has a no drinking sign at the entrance but I see very few people not drinking.

Most of the time I park in the Myrtle Lot.

Craziness: 7
Avg. Age: 25
Price: $15
Time Open: 7 P.M. Friday

It's a younger crowd and rowdy but the top of the T has a more diverse crowd. Some young and some middle age up at the top of the T. Most everyone gets kind of crazy with a few exceptions. Heavy police presence.

Last edited:
I usually tailgate in the lot behind the courthouse. It's free and you can leave your car there all weekend if you want. It doesn't get too crazy, but we do enjoy quite a few adult beverages. Our group is mostly in their 20's with some of our parents also attending. We usually start at 7.

How about St. Andrews Presbyterian across from Sunset and Melrose? Tailgating there for Ball St. How does that rate? And yes I will have passes. Tailgating in the lot, not the church, btw.

I've been there and this is how I would rate it:

Craziness: 4, pretty laid back
Avg. Age: 30+
Time Open: 7am for 11am games which is the start time for the Ball State game.

Lameness: 10

It's in University Heights. There is a giant bathroom just to the west of the lot, but if you try to use it, UH's finest will harass you and threaten to arrest you. Avoid at all costs.

Latest posts