Tailgate question on ramps north of Kinnick...

hwktlg8

We usually tailgate once or twice per season in the ramps just off Melrose north of the stadium. Just wondering if the new rules are any different this year. We usually have a brew or two while we grill before the game. We have grilled before in those ramps, but we have been told that grilling and alcohol are not allowed there anymore.

Anyone tailgated there this year, and know for sure?

The ramps are there for UIHC patients and family. Having them congested with football spectators and tailgaters is against policy, I believe. While some people probably do abuse them, I feel like its much more courteous just to park in the designated lots.

Tea...from our seats, we can see the top of one of the lots. There were 2 Hawkeye tents up there, and about 6 other vehicles. That's all.

I don't see how paying the U $10 to park there for the game is abuse, when so many of the spots are empty anyway.

Agreed. On weekends those ramps are dead. However, you offer 70000 hawkeye fans the chance to park there on gameday for $10 and you have a cluster**** which would be a terrible thing for the people who need the parking.

I think if you have a good reason to park there (extremely handicapped, first time to Iowa City, etc.) then so be it.

Just how I feel, not necessarily the opinion of the majority.

The ramps are there for UIHC patients and family. Having them congested with football spectators and tailgaters is against policy, I believe. While some people probably do abuse them, I feel like its much more courteous just to park in the designated lots.

The University uses 2 ramps for football parking, the North one and the one directly to the East, so nobody is abusing them when they park there.

hwktlg8: I haven't heard anything about no alcohol but I don't think you can grill.

I just looked it up, you are right. For the North ramp you need a parking pass, though. Ramp 4 is open to public. I think that one is usually filled pretty well on gameday.

I've parked in those ramps many times to park, only. I believe grilling inside a ramp has always been against the rules, I remember that from my college days! I've seen many grills shut down in the ramps over the years from people thinking they can cook out. However, I'm not sure they enforce it - even last year I saw people with small grill hidden behind parked cars in the ramp :)

Looks like grilling in the ramps is not permitted:

Wood Fires Not Permitted
Open wood fires or wood fires enclosed in portable pits are not permitted. LP and charcoal grills and LP heaters, when temperatures warrant, are permitted in parking lots but are prohibited in parking ramps. Charcoal must be disposed of in designated containers located throughout parking lots. Please do not place used charcoal, embers, or ash in trash cans, under trees or leave it in the parking areas. LP grills or heaters are limited to 1-20# LP cylinder per device; no spare or additional cylinders will be allowed.

Barbeque Grills
Grills of any kind are prohibited in UI parking ramps.

Looks like beer and wine is permitted but leave your bottle of Templeton at home.

TAILGATING

Alcohol Policy
Policy: Tailgating that includes the responsible and lawful use of alcohol is permitted within the parameters determined by law and University rules and protocols.

Fans tailgating Friday nights on public property are reminded that the possession of an open container of beer, wine or consumption of hard liquor is prohibited by law. Law enforcement officers will ask fans to empty the container of issue a citation if the situation warrants.
On Saturday football game days only, beer and wine are allowed in UI parking areas, except the alcohol-free lot 14 at the corner of Melrose and South Grand Avenues. Patrons and ticket holders are advised that state law prohibits hard liquor consumption of possession of an opened bottle of hard liquor on public property, which includes university parking lots and ramps. Law enforcement will empty any opened, visible bottle of hard liquor and may issue a citation if the situation warrants.

Here is a link to lot of tailgating and parking rules:

IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Gameday

Perfect. We can leave the grill at home, and take the spread with us already prepared.

Leave it to all my Hawkeye friends to answer a girl's questions! Thanks!

Latest posts