Tail gating menu.

docholihawk

Alright fellow followers of the single greatest college football team in history. As some of you may recall I am disabled and unable to travel to Kinnick and enjoy the phenomenal atmosphere of game day as I once did. Last year I posted a question about tailgating foods. I posted to late to get a large response to my question but the suggestions I did receive were phenomenal. I used those suggestions for game day and carried it through basketball season. What I try to do is tailgate in my living and I'm asking for food suggestions. I have my cave with my recliner and a 46" tv but I need menu suggestions. Help from anyone and everyone is very much appreciated. Thanks for everything and as always, GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about this: Get some raw, shell on shrimp,large as you can manage. Mix olive oil (don't need much) and some cajun or other preferred spice. Roll the shrimp around in the mixture until coated. Make sure the shells on the shrimp are split before you cook them. Put the shrimp on skewers and place them over a charcoal grill. Won't take long to cook...just observe when the shell looks "crispy" and the meat is opaque. Do NOT use pre cooked shrimp...yuk. Side dishes are to personal choice, but frankly, I prefer garlic bread or hot or cold pasta of about any kind. If you try it, let me know how you like it!

Hey doc - I hope you can make it to a game. In my long rant of complaints about Kinnick, accessibility issues are another one after we tried to get a gentleman with a disability to a game once a few years ago.

As for your inquiry, I need to know your cooking setup. I've made gourmet on everything from a Foreman Grill to a Butkus Qwik Cook Grill. Need to know what we're dealing with here.

Hey doc - I hope you can make it to a game. In my long rant of complaints about Kinnick, accessibility issues are another one after we tried to get a gentleman with a disability to a game once a few years ago.

As for your inquiry, I need to know your cooking setup. I've made gourmet on everything from a Foreman Grill to a Butkus Qwik Cook Grill. Need to know what we're dealing with here.

I have a Holland grill. Pretty much can cook anything on it.

Its a simple one Doc but I roll with a burger mix if 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 ground pork loin, minced onion and garlic, mix with brown suger/oil/salt.....toasted onion bun and fixins.

Simple but delicious.

How about this: Get some raw, shell on shrimp,large as you can manage. Mix olive oil (don't need much) and some cajun or other preferred spice. Roll the shrimp around in the mixture until coated. Make sure the shells on the shrimp are split before you cook them. Put the shrimp on skewers and place them over a charcoal grill. Won't take long to cook...just observe when the shell looks "crispy" and the meat is opaque. Do NOT use pre cooked shrimp...yuk. Side dishes are to personal choice, but frankly, I prefer garlic bread or hot or cold pasta of about any kind. If you try it, let me know how you like it!

This sounds really good. I'm going to try this on Saturday. My son's coming down from St. Paul to celebrate his birthday and he'll love this, thanks.

Its a simple one Doc but I roll with a burger mix if 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 ground pork loin, minced onion and garlic, mix with brown suger/oil/salt.....toasted onion bun and fixins.

Simple but delicious.

This sounds really good. I'm using this recipe week one. I'm going to move my tv out outside along with my recliner and make it a little more like gameday. Sounds easy to make and I'll throw a few beers in a cooler, invite some friends and root for the Hawks. Thanks a lot for the idea.

My family's favorite is chips and dip. Tostitos queso dip, ground beef thrown in it. WAY easy. I like to add in salsa with it, but with the four pickiest kids in the midwest, this keeps them happy. Can't ever go wrong with wings as well.

Try to grill up some steaks. Look at these beauties:

DSCN0393_zps5ddccd5e.jpg

My favorite is Surf & Turf kabobs... chunks of steak with fat shrimp on skewers... grilled or under the broiler

sides of your choice, but I love mushrooms in butter & wine with crusty bread to sop the juice up with

whatever is my favorite drink... currently I've gone back to vodka collins with plenty of lime because it's so hot...
usually scotch w/water in the fall

haven't tried the crisp apple ale yet, but icy cold beer is always nice with meals

Simple but delicious.
I made this last night. It was great. Thanks for the idea. I'll revisit this during the season.

Here's a couple good ones doc.
Wrap some dates with bacon and bake them until the bacon is cooked to your liking. It's pretty good.

Get some one good brats (fadeaway usually has good ones). Boil them up in some beer then refridgerate the brats overnight and finish them off on the grill game day. Serve with kraut and spicy mustard.

Oysters on the half shell with lemon and cocktail sauce.

Philly steak sandwiches are good too. I like to grill up ribeye or tenderloin and slice it really thin. Load up a French roll and the top with your favorite cheese and I like onion and mushrooms. Melt the cheese under the broiler and the dig in.

Hope these help Doc.

2 cans of black beans and a bit of water. Cut half a white onion up in to small diced pieces. Add them. Add a dash of half and half. Boil the hell out of it, mash a bit until the beans are half visible and half creamy. remove from heat, add equal amounts of garlic powder and cumin, stir it in. Now you have an awesome black bean dip.

Do same with pinto beans...need to boil for much longer and mash it more after they get soft...add a bit of hot sauce. you got yourself some refired beans there. All for under $3.

My family's favorite is chips and dip. Tostitos queso dip, ground beef thrown in it. WAY easy. I like to add in salsa with it, but with the four pickiest kids in the midwest, this keeps them happy. Can't ever go wrong with wings as well.
I'm also going with the salsa. My son's 32 and lives 2 hours away from me, he'snot so picky anymore. This sounds good for bb season also.

Latest posts