Tail gating menu.

Thanks a lot zilla and clim. These will take a little more work but when I'm sitting here picturing that 1st bite it's well worth it. Besides I retired at 45, not by choice, so I have plenty of time to handle it. Thanks a lot.

2 cans of black beans and a bit of water. Cut half a white onion up in to small diced pieces. Add them. Add a dash of half and half. Boil the hell out of it, mash a bit until the beans are half visible and half creamy. remove from heat, add equal amounts of garlic powder and cumin, stir it in. Now you have an awesome black bean dip.

Sounds great. I would be tempted to kick that up a notch by sprinkling on bits of finely chopped fresh jalapeño. Not much a little jalapeño won't improve.

I tried this the other day and it was freaking delicious. Chop som jalapeños very fine and mix with them in with some cream cheese. Take a hot dog and make a slit to open it up length wise. Fill with jalapeño cream cheese mix. Take some precooked bacon and before you destroy my man card pre cooked bacon works better for this and doesn't taste bad at all. Wrap stuffed hot dog with bacon and put a few toothpicks in to hold in place. Then throw it on the grill to crisp up the bacon and enjoy. Hope this helps go hawks.

I tried this the other day and it was freaking delicious. Chop som jalapeños very fine and mix with them in with some cream cheese. Take a hot dog and make a slit to open it up length wise. Fill with jalapeño cream cheese mix. Take some precooked bacon and before you destroy my man card pre cooked bacon works better for this and doesn't taste bad at all. Wrap stuffed hot dog with bacon and put a few toothpicks in to hold in place. Then throw it on the grill to crisp up the bacon and enjoy. Hope this helps go hawks.

Your man-card was fine up until you implemented the toothpicks. Holding over an open flame without protection will restore said card :)

Alright fellow followers of the single greatest college football team in history. As some of you may recall I am disabled and unable to travel to Kinnick and enjoy the phenomenal atmosphere of game day as I once did. Last year I posted a question about tailgating foods. I posted to late to get a large response to my question but the suggestions I did receive were phenomenal. I used those suggestions for game day and carried it through basketball season. What I try to do is tailgate in my living and I'm asking for food suggestions. I have my cave with my recliner and a 46" tv but I need menu suggestions. Help from anyone and everyone is very much appreciated. Thanks for everything and as always, GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc, since you are at home, you obviously have some latitude. Thus, I would say, "be seasonal".

For early-season games, go with the basics: grilled brats and kraut, burgers, dogs, etc.

Having a kitchen at your disposal, go with your faves, especially when it gets cooler. Think chili, and for me, I'd "go Amana", i.e., make up a sauerbraten, fry up some schnitzel, etc.

A personal fave of mine, which can be eaten cold (for warmer weather), it also works during cooler times:

Pickled Ham Recipe: Take about 2 pounds of ham, can use ends/fatty pieces, etc., or just take a chunk off a ham. Cube the ham into bite-size pieces, place in large mixing/salad bowl. Add 1 green pepper, chopped (NOT minced), 1 onion, chopped, and (optional) about a cup of black or green olives, chopped semi-fine.

Separately, mix 1 cup water and 1 cup cider or white vinegar, add desired seasonings (I use pepper and some thyme), pour over ham/pepper/onion/olive. Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours, then drain and put in bowls on game day and munch away.

If you enjoy Italian sandwiches and have a slow cooker an easy gameday menu item that I make is a roast, put it in the slow cooker with water add a packet of italian seasoning and au jus mix and let it cook all day. Toss in onions and green peppers if you enjoy those, get some good buns and some good provolone cheese.

Here's a simple gameday hors d' oeuvre:
1 jar of cocktail onions
1 jar of small, whole dill pickles
1 block of colby jack cheese
Toothpicks

Cut pickles into disks about 1/2" tall. Cut cheese into cubes about 1/2" by 1/2". Slide a cocktail onion about halfway up a toothpick. Then slide a pickle chunk up to the cocktail onion. Then poke the bottom of the toothpick onto a chunk of cheese so it acts as a base and the toothpick stands up. Make lots because they disappear in a hurry. Wash them down with iced down bottles of PBR. Cheap and easy.
Enjoy, Doc and Go Hawks!

For a pregame snack I like to take jalapenos with the stem on them. Slit open, remove the seeds, then fill with cream cheese. I prefer the one with chives. wrap pork sausage around the pepper leaving the stem exposed. Then wrap bacon around the sausage and secure with toothpicks. Grill or broil till sausage is cooked. These go over really well and are not spicy hot at all. Armadillo Eggs! Enjoy!

Here's a simple gameday hors d' oeuvre:
1 jar of cocktail onions
1 jar of small, whole dill pickles
1 block of colby jack cheese
Toothpicks

Cut pickles into disks about 1/2" tall. Cut cheese into cubes about 1/2" by 1/2". Slide a cocktail onion about halfway up a toothpick. Then slide a pickle chunk up to the cocktail onion. Then poke the bottom of the toothpick onto a chunk of cheese so it acts as a base and the toothpick stands up. Make lots because they disappear in a hurry. Wash them down with iced down bottles of PBR. Cheap and easy.
Enjoy, Doc and Go Hawks!

Doing fine until the PBR came into it :)

For a pregame snack I like to take jalapenos with the stem on them. Slit open, remove the seeds, then fill with cream cheese. I prefer the one with chives. wrap pork sausage around the pepper leaving the stem exposed. Then wrap bacon around the sausage and secure with toothpicks. Grill or broil till sausage is cooked. These go over really well and are not spicy hot at all. Armadillo Eggs! Enjoy!

These sound awesome. Going to have to try it. Curious, how do you wrap pork sausage around the jalapeño? Is the sausage ground up like hamburger and you just form it around the pepper? Or is it a skin-on sausage that you slit lengthwise to secure around the pepper?

I want to thank everybody for the ideas. i plan on commenting on each one and to thank you every time I try these. So far every thing suggested sounds great and I appreciate everybody's help. Hopefully all of you have seen something they want to try. Thanks to all of my Hawkeye family!!!

These sound awesome. Going to have to try it. Curious, how do you wrap pork sausage around the jalapeño? Is the sausage ground up like hamburger and you just form it around the pepper? Or is it a skin-on sausage that you slit lengthwise to secure around the pepper?
Ground like hamburger. You just form it around the pepper!

Doc here's a couple more from my tailgate crew:

pulled pork - get a pork but and put a good dry rub on it and bag it a few hours in the fridge. Before going to bed Friday night throw some chopped carrots, onion, and bell pepper in the bottom of a crock pot then add the rubbed roast one of your favorite beers, a packet of Italian seasoning, and then water or any stock you like just to the top of the pork. Put it on low overnight. After 12 hours in the crock pot take the roast out and let it rest about 25 minutes. Take the veggies out of the crock and use two forks to "shred" the pork and put it back in with enough juice to keep it moist. You can add some BBQ if you want but I like it plain. Put it back in the crock on warm and eat sandwiches all day long. I like it plain with slice of smoked cheddar cheese on some good bread.

Tortilla wraps - make the day before the game. Mix one tub of jalapeño cream cheese with 8oz of your favorite sour cream dip (I like the Mexican) then add a diced small onion, 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese, and a small can of diced green chillies if you want. Mix that stuff all together and then smeer the mixture onto tortillas and roll them up and place into a storage container and refridgerate over night. Game day morning slice into 1 inch slices and dip in your favorite salsa. These are great.

One thing I have done just last week was pickle some eggs, crappie/bluegill fillets and sausage, These are a great snack with beer. I'm sure some oldtimers here remember these sitting on the back bar in many local watering holes. They aren't for everybody but just the same............... By the way each are in a separate jar and need about a week to cure.

I just wanted to bump this thread and thank everybody that contributed. Every suggestion sound great and several I've tried already and they were great. I think everybody should try these. THANKS to all.

If you enjoy Italian sandwiches and have a slow cooker an easy gameday menu item that I make is a roast, put it in the slow cooker with water add a packet of italian seasoning and au jus mix and let it cook all day. Toss in onions and green peppers if you enjoy those, get some good buns and some good provolone cheese.

You forgot the fried peppers...

Latest posts