Syracuse; worst in 50 years

The Mayor is starting in the Sanitation Department...but before long, he's going to start that transfer pipeline that made him a legend in Ames. Let's face it...if you can create Hilton Magic in Ames, you can make Big Red magic in Lincoln. Delusionally crazed fans make strong believers.

Who could forget Marty Headd, didn't see that many bald headed college basketball players then, especially qwhite players.....

s-l300.jpg

Before the Hawks beat number 1 in the region, Syracuse they defeated number 4 North Carolina State with Hawkeye Whitney.....Damn

013a.jpg

Bittersweet tournament that year. The one name that stands out from that tournament:

Roger Burkman

:cool:

Beat me to it.

In their improbable run to the Final Four Iowa beat Virginia Commonwealth, NC State, Syracuse then of course Georgetown. I was in my 3rd year at Iowa in 1980 and remember it all like yesterday. Enjoy the video.

Beat me to it.

In their improbable run to the Final Four Iowa beat Virginia Commonwealth, NC State, Syracuse then of course Georgetown. I was in my 3rd year at Iowa in 1980 and remember it all like yesterday. Enjoy the video.

Thanks, that brought back some fond memories. Ronnie Lester was so smooth with the ball and the Hawkeyes did not like anybody scoring inside and shut them down hard when they could.....

Loved the Norwalk-Britt girls tournament score flashing on the screen. 17-10 Norwalk. Always rewarding to be kept up to date.....

Beat me to it.

Roosevelt Bouie was tough inside. He got Krafciscin in foul trouble and eventually fouled him out.

Steve should have fouled out even sooner. That "charge" that Krafciscin took would be considered within the restricted arc today. And it wasn't a charge either way. Krafciscin slightly rocks back just before contact. But credit him for being in good enough position.

Thanks, that brought a some fond memories. Ronnie Lester was so smooth with the ball and the Hawkeyes did not like anybody scoring inside and shut them down hard when they could.....

Loved the Norwalk-Britt girls tournament score flashing on the screen. 17-10 Norwalk. Always rewarding to be kept up to date.....

Norwalk and Britt probably had similar populations back then.

Not any more.

But that was the whole appeal of the six on six game (for a while). It allowed the small town to compete with the big city. A country strong farm girl like Denise Long or Molly Bolin or Lynne Lorenzen could take a school with a sub 200 enrollment and allow them to compete with Des Moines schools.

Eventually though, the game had properly run it's course. By the 1980's collegiate women's basketball was exploding and iowa was falling behind the curve.

It was a stubborn change however. Remember the girls tournament regular from the Iowa City area, maybe Clear Creek or Marengo, that was so steeped in tradition that it continued to take highway 6 to Des Moines even long after Interstate 80 was built?

Roosevelt Bouie was tough inside. He got Krafciscin in foul trouble and eventually fouled him out.

Steve should have fouled out even sooner. That "charge" that Krafciscin took would be considered within the restricted arc today. And it wasn't a charge either way. Krafciscin slightly rocks back just before contact. But credit him for being in good enough position.

The other Steve, Waite, didn't have the press clippings Special-K did, but he played damn tough defense and could score adequately. He didn't ever back down and played everybody tough.

His shining moment of course was to come in the next game.

The other Steve, Waite, didn't have the press clippings Special-K did, but he played damn tough defense and could score adequately. He didn't ever back down and played everybody tough.

His shining moment of course was come in the next game.
Waite was a typical Iowa kid who was well grounded in fundamentals and, like you said, had a flair for the dramatic. He came up big for Iowa City West in their 1977 state championship run and hit the layup heard round the Hawkeye state in the aforementioned 1980 regional final.

Krafciscin experienced what few NCAA players have, reaching the final four for two different schools (North Carolina in 1978, Iowa in 1980).

No one has ever won NCAA championships for two different schools, but a couple have come close. Bob Bender won a championship with Indiana in 1976, transferred to Duke, and was on a runner up team which lost to Kentucky in 1978.

Ricky Calloway played on Indiana's title team in 1987, eventually transferred to Kansas, but missed their 1988 championship by one year. He also missed their 1991 runner up team (lost to Duke) by one year.

Is anyone aware of a player that transferred from a NCAA championship to a school that won the NIT, or vice versa? There has to be at least one example.

Latest posts