Surprising stats....

Honestly, I’m shocked so much so I’m not even sure it’s right:) How can Stanley be #1 (ahead of Fields)? And I’m a huge Stanley fan.

Notably, passing yard leader and punt return avg 2nd place.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/stats?group=11

Neither feel that way...

Surprisingly, the passing yardage leader is way down the list for passing tds.

It's all very interesting.
It's also all very weird. Last 2 seasons Stanley was threatening to break Long's TD record and now with more weapons can't throw for TDs to save his life! Maybe/hopefully the TDs will start to add up to the yardage and he will start tossing 4 or 5 a game...

Notable from those stats:

Stanley leader in passing yards
No Iowa rusher on the list
Of all those passing yards, only one iowa receiver and is 9
Last in touchdown passes

What all of that means is that we do not have difference makers at the skill positions. Bunch of good guys, nobody great. Very tight windows in the red zone, and screens and crossing routes don't work. When you figure in the fact that our TE production is zero, our o line is very suspect, and stanley cant run, he is earning everything the hard way. Everything.

It’s because we pretty much are the ONLY college team that has a slow pocket-passer. EVERYONE ELSE has an ATHLETE/PLAYMAKER at QB. So almost all of our yards generated by QB will be thru air. So these stats BETTER BE high cuz we get get many extra yards from qbs other ways

Minny has the #2 RB and #2 and #3 receivers. Bash their schedule all you want -- the Gophers are for real.

A perfect example of quantity over quality. A bunch of passing yards, but QB efficiency is more telling in the low amount of touchdown passes.

Stanley has 40+ pass attempts in what the last 5 games? The yardage number makes sense.

* Yea. Stanley at the top is surprising.
* The glaring issue with Iowa is obviously the running game. Not on the list for yards or touchdowns. That's a problem for a team like Iowa.
* We all know that Duncan is kicking ass, but, that is deceiving for the team as we'd rather have more red zone TD's. The OSU kicker is 3 behind, but many of his points are PAT's. There's a difference.
* The Maryland punt return average is shocking and kind of funny at the same time. A 35.7 average for punts!! So, a team punting, ON AVERAGE, can expect to only gain 10-13 yrds in field postion!! May want to angle your punt out-of-bounds and take a chance kicking it out-of-bounds and hope for a decent spot with those odds.

To me it sounds like we are dang good between the 20s.

We are either missing play makers or missing opportunities to get our play makers in space.

Notably, passing yard leader and punt return avg 2nd place.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/stats?group=11

Neither feel that way...

Surprisingly, the passing yardage leader is way down the list for passing tds.

It's all very interesting.

Stanley's lack of TD throws is a function of the poor running game and the loss of the two TEs who could take an 8 yard pass at the 30 yard line and run it in for the TD. The team is not getting into goal line situations enough for them to use the short passes to TEs and fullbacks faking a block and going to the endzone to catch a TD pass.

Average one more yard per run and make it more consistent and the play action will work better.

Or at the 20 yard line send the receivers deep and try to get Sargent or Goodson in the open flanks to make one move for a really good gain. So many teams use their running backs better in the passing game than the hawks.

In the red zone, I don't think they trust Brandon smith enough. He has shown he can run the fade or the slant, and his size and jumping ability really make him an tight end on the edge down there. He faces man coverage so much down there, I would be ok just throwing it to him 3 or 4 times in a row. That's my opinion anyway.

Latest posts