Supporting Ferentz - change your mind?

For me to support KF, he would need to get rid of his OC. Oh wait, he did! He would need to get rid of his D C. Oh wait, he did! He would need to speed up the game with no-huddle. Oh wait, he did! He would need to start passing when no one wants him to. Oh wait, he did! He would need to donate millions of dollars of his salary back to the University. Oh wait, he and Mary did! Man, I'm running out of ways to hate anymore. I must be growing up.

For the umpteenth time, no-huddle does not equate to hurry-up. Iowa uses no-huddle primarily to prevent the defense from switching out personnel not to speed-up the game.

For the umpteenth time, no-huddle does not equate to hurry-up. Iowa uses no-huddle primarily to prevent the defense from switching out personnel not to speed-up the game.

So Iowa's not running like 20 more plays per game than they were in the past?

I get what you're saying. They don't get up to the ball and hike it right away, but it does speed up the game. Part of GD's strategy coming in was to get more plays in during the course of a game. That's one thing have certainly accomplished. I'm not sure how you can say it isn't speeding up the game at least a little bit.

So Iowa's not running like 20 more plays per game than they were in the past?

I get what you're saying. They don't get up to the ball and hike it right away, but it does speed up the game. Part of GD's strategy coming in was to get more plays in during the course of a game. That's one thing have certainly accomplished. I'm not sure how you can say it isn't speeding up the game at least a little bit.

I haven't seen the data you're referencing, but if Iowa is running 20 more plays per game is it due to the speed in which we run the plays or that we are actually sustaining drives and not having so many 3 & outs? That play clock seems to still get to 5 seconds quite frequently.

Points Scored/Game

Greg Davis at Texas
KOK at Iowa
Rank
Rank
Since

I know the talent is way different between the two, but to just make a blanket statement that GD’s offense didn’t work at Texas is probably NOT a true statement. It sure appears to me that he was a sacrificial lamb.

I think he deserves more time before we start throwing him and his offence out the door after only 2 years.

:cool:

I appreciate your efforts to post this and there are some interesting numbers. Strikes me a bit as apples and oranges, however. As you note, different talent pool. But I would also say different approach to defense in the Big 12 and the Big Ten during those years.

There's only a few questionable play calls on offense for me. The offense is a lot smoother this year, but it's still the little mistakes that are hurting the most.. mainly because the talent level isn't quite there to overcome them.

I do think if KF puts up 2 more years like the previous few he'll probably be done at Iowa. If he gets the team to a Rose Bowl though? That's the big question right? Well.. I guess with the new playoff system it would be something else next year right?

I do think recruiting has at least stabilized with the new staff, and I also like what I see from most of them. I think the program is heading in the right direction again, and the talent should be there to compete for the big10 title game. They have a few things to work on -- primarily special teams though..

I haven't seen the data you're referencing, but if Iowa is running 20 more plays per game is it due to the speed in which we run the plays or that we are actually sustaining drives and not having so many 3 & outs? That play clock seems to still get to 5 seconds quite frequently.

Well to be fair I hadn't seen the data either. I thought I read in an article that they wanted to increase by about 20 plays per game. I did a quick look up. Hawks are running an average of 72.6 plays per game this year. Last year it was 67.5 and when you go back to 2010 it was 62.3. So they have slowly increased the tempo, but you are right. It isn't near as much as I was assuming.

Well to be fair I hadn't seen the data either. I thought I read in an article that they wanted to increase by about 20 plays per game. I did a quick look up. Hawks are running an average of 72.6 plays per game this year. Last year it was 67.5 and when you go back to 2010 it was 62.3. So they have slowly increased the tempo, but you are right. It isn't near as much as I was assuming.

Good stuff. I have been wondering about this. I think if we had looked at the data for the first 4 or 5 games, it may have been closer to what you expected. I thought I had noticed (just an eyeball test) that when we got into some tight BT games, we became more cautious.

Good stuff. I have been wondering about this. I think if we had looked at the data for the first 4 or 5 games, it may have been closer to what you expected. I thought I had noticed (just an eyeball test) that when we got into some tight BT games, we became more cautious.

I think the way Iowa does it is perfect. I wouldn't want them to do it any other way. Speeding up the offense too much results in quick 3 and outs. Which can then have a negative impact on a worn out defense. Slowing the offense down too much can result in less overall plays which obviously means less chances to score points. Getting on the line allows the offense to have the best of both worlds. If the defense isn't ready or they like certain personnel match-ups then they can get a play off quick and catch them off guard. They also prevent the defense from making too many adjustments and substitutions. Depending on the situation in the game the QB can decide how much time he wants to milk from the clock.

There really isn't any reason to use a huddle. You can run just as much time off the clock operating the offense in this manner, but it also gives you opportunities to catch defenses with their pants down. Those bonuses are things that operating out of a huddle just doesn't give you.

I guess some of us old dudes were spoiled by Hayden Fry and his ability to recruit above average skill players who could run an explosive offense -- guys like Chuck Long, Ronnie Harmon, Mike Flagg, etc. I just don't ever see that happening under Kirk Ferentz.

You are kidding right? Brad Banks, Won the award for top QB in the country. Shonn Greene, Doak Walker winner. Dallas Clark, won the award for the top TE in the country.....so, KF bringing in the players who won the top award for their skill positions in the country does not match Hayden? Gallery, Outland Trophy Winner...also. Adrian Clayborn, 1st team all American. Marvin McNutt...awarded top WR in the Big Ten and Michah Hyde won that award for DB's....Mike Flagg?....Tony Moeaki, Scott Chandler, Brandon Myers...all NFL players...how many years did Flagg play in the NFL?

I want Ferentz here as long as he wants to be here.

Now let's see how long it takes for HawkMalaise to call me a 'Doosh Bag' for spouting such Ferentz non-hate.

Look, I'm looking at the Ferentz of today... Ya know, Woody Hayes' offense and defense in the 60s was a thing of beauty and something to be proud of, and tOSU won a lot of titles during that time, but I doubt (ask KF, if you will) it would be all that effective today (unless playing against mediocre competition), or all that popular today. Yes, I'm making an analogy between Hayes and Ferentz. Here's the thing: granted, Iowa is better this year than last year. This year, Iowa is ascending into mediocrity and other power B1G teams of the past are descending into mediocrity, so Iowa is more competitive with other 'power' teams in the B1G. To say Iowa is one of the 4 best football teams in the B1G is also saying Iowa is one of the best mediocre teams. I don't want a mediocre team. I want a good team. I'm tired of a mediocre team.

Last edited:
I want competent game management and creative play calling that exploits our talent and strengths. If Kurt is the one directing that, all the better. If it's someone else, so be it.

I'd rather Ferentz evolve than leave.
I would too, but we both know KF won't evolve. Why can't he turn into a little bit of Hayden, delegate some coaching responsibilities, and let the coaches coach (and learn, and grow)?

Last edited:
Look, I'm looking at the Ferentz of today... Ya know, Woody Hayes' offense and defense in the 60s was a thing of beauty and something to be proud of, and tOSU won a lot of titles during that time, but I doubt (ask KF, if you will) it would be all that effective today(unless playing against mediocre competition), or all that popular today. Yes, I'm making an analogy between Hayes and Ferentz. Here's the thing: granted, Iowa is better this year than last year. This year, Iowa is ascending into mediocrity and other power B1G teams of the past are descending into mediocrity, so Iowa is more competitive with other 'power' teams in the B1G. To say Iowa is one of the 4 best football teams in the B1G is also saying Iowa is one of the best mediocre teams. I don't want a mediocre team. I want a good team. I'm tired of a mediocre team.

This entire thread is really quite simple...

What will it take to make you happy? If anything, what will it take for you to support Ferentz.

Mediocre and good are relative terms.

Give us something tangible that the Hawks and coach Ferentz can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance.

The pro set is the superior offensive philosophy. It's why the pros use it. We don't need gimmicky spread crap at Iowa. We need to run the pro set in a creative fashion which exploits our strengths and maximizes our talent. The stale play calling and inconsistency in getting the ball into the hands of playmakers is what pisces people off in my estimation.

If you recruit a stud running fast QB who can throw and you have great receivers you should use the spread some or alot. That would be using your best personnel and getting them the ball.

I like the I formation sets where we can easily go tight and heavy with 3 TEs or go to 4 and 5 wideouts. I would like to see split backs behind the QB who is under center.

If you have both canzeri and weisman/bullock as split backs you can run all kinds of directions and they can both quickly run patterns out of the backfield to really put pressure on the other team.

This entire thread is really quite simple...

What will it take to make you happy? If anything, what will it take for you to support Ferentz.

Mediocre and good are relative terms.

Give us something tangible that the Hawks and coach Ferentz can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance.
I, for one, am tired of eating Wisconsin's dust every year since 2009. Iowa used to regularly beat them. Penn State as well. Now, Iowa hasn't changed, but Penn State and Wisconsin have. How soon before Iowa has to continually eat Minnesota's dust? The word is evolve and Iowa isn't doing it. That's the rub isn't it? Curt refuses to evolve... so he loses... we lose... <P> Generally, I would loosen, tremendously, the reigns on Iowa's offense (and that means putting in Beathard who is more athletic than Rudock, and could mean higher quality WRs will come to iowa because of Rudock and the open offense), and put more athleticism into Iowa's defense - occasionally some one-on-one matchups in the secondary - get a coverage sack for once. Maybe more speed overall in the defense when playing, for example, non-power teams... Change up the D every once in a while. Having the same D for all occasions is not a positive attribute. The D needs to confuse the other's offense every once in a while.

Last edited:
I, for one, am tired of eating Wisconsin's dust every year since 2009. Iowa used to regularly beat them. Penn State as well. Now, Iowa hasn't changed, but Penn State and Wisconsin have. How soon before Iowa has to continually eat Minnesota's dust? The word is evolve and Iowa isn't doing it. That's the rub isn't it? Curt refuses to evolve... so he loses... we lose... <P> Generally, I would loosen, tremendously, the reigns on Iowa's offense (and that means putting in Beathard who is more athletic than Rudock), and put more athleticism into Iowa's defense - occasionally some one-on-one matchups in the secondary - get a coverage sack for once. Maybe more speed overall in the defense when playing, for example, non-power running teams... Change up the D every once in a while. Having the same D for all occasions is not a positive attribute. The D needs to confuse the other's offense every once in a while.

Please edit one more time to answer my question.

Thanks

Example? IMO, changing into any, or all, of these strategies will procure more wins for Iowa. At least, will put Iowa on an equal footing with tOSU, and Wisky... I'll take equal for a while.

Last edited:
I, for one, am tired of eating Wisconsin's dust every year since 2009. Iowa used to regularly beat them. Penn State as well. Now, Iowa hasn't changed, but Penn State and Wisconsin have. How soon before Iowa has to continually eat Minnesota's dust? The word is evolve and Iowa isn't doing it. That's the rub isn't it? Curt refuses to evolve... so he loses... we lose... <P> Generally, I would loosen, tremendously, the reigns on Iowa's offense (and that means putting in Beathard who is more athletic than Rudock, and could mean higher quality WRs will come to iowa because of Rudock and the open offense), and put more athleticism into Iowa's defense - occasionally some one-on-one matchups in the secondary - get a coverage sack for once. Maybe more speed overall in the defense when playing, for example, non-power teams... Change up the D every once in a while. Having the same D for all occasions is not a positive attribute. The D needs to confuse the other's offense every once in a while.

You should just copy and paste it in every thread to save you some time from saying the same stuff over and over. We get it

Latest posts