Supporting Ferentz - change your mind?

Serious question...

If you currently want a change in leadership, what would it take for Coach Ferentz to gain your support, if anything?

Not the biggest fan of KF's game day coaching decisions and overall conservatism. In this day and age, Iowa FB is more times than not a boring brand of football to watch. On the flip side, off the field his family has done much good for the university. Very generous people.

With that said, looking at other top level programs who've made coaching changes and failed is not where this program needs to go. Going after the next big name coach for the sake of doing it has not proved to be successful very often. I've almost always taken chances and believed the grass is greener on the other side. Not so much for coaching changes though.

I'll still watch Iowa play. Will always be a fan. Iowa can go 13-0 and I'm sure there'd still be something I'd complain about. Unfortunately that is the world we live in. I think I understand why some coaches get pizzed off at some the stupid media questions that come their way. I'll give KF a pass when he has an attitude in press conferences.

He will never be my favorite football coach or Iowa football coach, but I believe he may be what's best for the program at this time. Personally, for me, his family's giving will far outweigh what he does on the field. I still reserve the right to complain though.

I can't remember the last time I used this word, but here it goes.

Getting rid of Ferentz would be ********. I don't know how many other schools have made a similar mistake with catastrophic results.

**edit**I guess I can't use that word. It is often associated with Downs Syndrome.

I have been a KF supporter for the most part, though there are aspects of the program that frustrate me. First, I am very happy with the defensive recruits brought into and developed by the Iowa coaching staff. Second, I am very happy with the recruits and development of the front seven on offense. Where we need a major upgrade in recruiting is in the skill positions, with an emphasis on the receiver corps. I know it is tough, but this is a breakthrough we need to see. It is possible that the guys on board now + the current frosh class will alleviate my concern; but, consistency over the years in recruiting skill positions must improve. Next, we need to see the offense improve. We have been very middle of the road in this area for a long time. In this day and age, you cannot survive long with mediocre offenses if you wish to move toward the top of the heap and stay there. However, there is, IMHO, nothing wrong with the offense that Iowa runs. At this point, WI, MN, MI, OSU, NE, MSU, PSU, PUR, and IA all emphasize multiple sets, the run game, and play action passes. So does Alabama, I might add. Boring? I disagree. When I see a team run this offense well, it is classic college football. It is interesting to me that Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, run more of a spread offense: How are they doing? Here is a news flash: Defenses are catching up with the spread. This back and forth has gone on for decades. New offense, defense adjusts. Single Wing, Straight T, Wing T, Wishbone, various Option O's, Multiple sets, spread, then ?? Best keep KF around. His Pro Football coaching style is conservative by nature, but may be what is best for Iowa. His character and concern for the kids and their education is maybe the single most important reason to keep him; his salary means nothing to me one way or the other. There is simply no correlation between salary and wins/losses.

Ferentz isn't going anywhere unless he decides he wants to leave. Those who want him fired because of his style of play, that isn't going to change. There have been subtle changes, but we aren't going to look like Oregon or Baylor anytime soon. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mine happens to be that I am happy with the progress that has been made this season. I believe the team is trending in a positive direction. If you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be going into the Nebby game with 7 wins I would have thought you were crazy. I have always been a Kirk supporter, but I do feel like based on others opinions this was a make or break year for him. I think this may have been one of his best coaching years he has had with Iowa. The Hawkeyes have exceeded most people's expectations this year.

This is what frustrates me, or maybe I'm in the minority and this is just 1 example. There is no way in hell we should ever run a stretch play with Weisman again, never, but we keep thinking it is going to work. I have no problem with a change of pace back like Weisman, but it has to be between the hashes. Canzeri should be getting 20+ touches a game, but has 2 or 3 in the 1st half last week? If we run Canzeri for 3Q, and get a lead then throw the bruiser in and pound it like we did in the 4Q last week, that is when Weisman is at his best. This is one aspect that I will never understand.

I have always been a KF supporter, but always with questions around some of his personnel decisions....for instance, last week, WTH was Canzeri not on the field more in the first half. Maybe it's me, but there is no comparison between the way Canz hits the holes vs Weisman. We have missed out on several long runs because of Weiman's inability to get beyond the second level.

It really baffles me, it seems pretty clear that between the 20's it should be Canzeri, with Weisman in to rest or for 3rd and 1/2 yard. Then once we are in the red zone, Im ok with Weis seeing more. Hell, I personally think we should have them both in the back field in the I and split backs...I mean why not give the defense something to think about vs single backs all day.

Finally, at this point, I don't see us getting anyone better, but I wish Reese Morgan was a bit younger, I'd be for him taking over, as I think he would run similar program with a bit more flexibility on the Off side of the ball...that guy deserves as much if not more than anyone in the program.

This is what frustrates me, or maybe I'm in the minority and this is just 1 example. There is no way in hell we should ever run a stretch play with Weisman again, never, but we keep thinking it is going to work. I have no problem with a change of pace back like Weisman, but it has to be between the hashes. Canzeri should be getting 20+ touches a game, but has 2 or 3 in the 1st half last week? If we run Canzeri for 3Q, and get a lead then throw the bruiser in and pound it like we did in the 4Q last week, that is when Weisman is at his best. This is one aspect that I will never understand.

This is what frustrates me, or maybe I'm in the minority and this is just 1 example. There is no way in hell we should ever run a stretch play with Weisman again, never, but we keep thinking it is going to work.

How about the first play of the icing drive from last week, when Weisman rumbled 22 yards on an outside zone play? It worked pretty well there. He also converted a 1st down on the go-ahead drive with a five-yard carry on an outside zone play. I would be willing to bet a pretty significant majority of his yards this year and last have been on outside zone.

Sure it looks ugly when the defense strings it out (for any back, not just Weisman), but there are plenty of times when the OL creates a crease, Weisman hits it (he seems to have good instincts for running behind zone blocking), and then he runs over some people 5-10 yards up-field. I have no problem with Canzieri getting more touches, he has looked solid, and he has big-play potential. But let's not pretend every Weisman outside zone is ineffective; in last week's game Canzieri and Weisman both had double-digit carries, and Weisman was 1 yard-per-carry better.

I would have no problem if he were to step down this season. He's a great guy, and he is a good coach. He's a great teacher of the game, he's just not the strongest at in game managment.

I am just tired of the boring and predictable play, and it comes down to the offense. We consistently rank near the bottom of BCS schools in offense categories, and we are usually in the upper half for defensive categories. And we're almost always near the bottom in our own conference for offensive stats.

This pretty much creates the same game experience every week, no matter who the opponent is.

Next year is critical for me. If this team can continue to grow, and maybe....MAYBE even KF become a little looser with his lease on the offense, we could be looking at a great year and being BACK. But we've got so much history on our side to suggest KF will continue to play the same game next year, and we'll end up with 7-8 wins.

I agree with the boring and predictable for the most part. But I tell you what, it makes a huge difference when you hit a receiver on the slant in stride, he catches it and he takes it to the house. That TD to Smith was not boring, neither was the flea flicker to vandeberg which if he catches it is huge, and the safety valve dump offs to canzeri and bullock can be huge. if Canzeri can bust a few long runs and you bruise them with Weisman and I think Daniels will be able to get good runs then all of a sudden the offense is exciting.

This offense can be exciting if they make plays for long a good runs and breakaway pass plays.

I believe he has used up the equity he had put in the bank based on his overall performance prior to 2010. I think he's on the tightrope now where he should be judged yearly due to his average to below average attainment in the most recent years. I'm in his camp for this year with at least 7 wins and a good bounceback from 4-8 but if he can't achieve 7 wins next year with a very favorable schedule he should be replaced though I don't believe it would happen. If he achieves 8 wins or more he then earns a 2 year window for assessment.

It sounds like the position of a bandwagon fan but I think that is the position he has put himself in with many fans. I'm always a Hawk fan but it doesn't mean you can't critique his job performance year to year at this stage.

By the way, I would guess if 7 wins is the ceiling next year that more and more seats will empty.

Ferentz isn't going anywhere unless he decides he wants to leave. Those who want him fired because of his style of play, that isn't going to change. There have been subtle changes, but we aren't going to look like Oregon or Baylor anytime soon. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mine happens to be that I am happy with the progress that has been made this season. I believe the team is trending in a positive direction. If you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be going into the Nebby game with 7 wins I would have thought you were crazy. I have always been a Kirk supporter, but I do feel like based on others opinions this was a make or break year for him. I think this may have been one of his best coaching years he has had with Iowa. The Hawkeyes have exceeded most people's expectations this year.

I'm not sure I want the Hawks to ever look like Oregon or Baylor. I agree that those offensive systems can be fun to watch, but it's slowly being proven that when a gimmicky offense like that gets matched up against a smash mouth defense they get manhandled. Depending on the conference you are in I suppose it can be successful, but I don't see it ever winning the National Championship. Heck, the Redskins offense with RGIII in command just got destroyed last night by a very physical 49ers defense. The way Iowa plays ball isn't flashy, but it has been proven that they can compete with anyone. Then when they have a really good season and get things rolling it's incredibly hard to stop.

Nothing would change it. I mean a Rose Bowl victory would be great but it won't happen. The facts are in. KF is stubborn and painfully conservative. You can't be an elite team with terrible to below average offenses which over his tenure he's proven he produces.

Nick Saban is pretty stubborn and conservative. Works for him

You know how the bandwagon brigade runs here and any forum for that matter and Iowa is probably the most improved football team in the Big 10 this year. I love the timing which is a hypocritical approach to when you usually see the "run him out of town" threads when Iowa has been in a losing streak and been getting their arses run. No I think the outlook is a bit more optimistic then Kirk's last book since were winning now. Don't forget though it was a best seller.

SeasononaBrinnk_zpsc2331978.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CAAR is awesome. Ever since I have been on these boards, CAAR has been posting this. He is spot on. I think when you look back after the next two years (after the 2015) season everyone will be happy. I think it will be 3 straight 8+ win seasons at that point, and that would make it 8+ wins in 6 of the last 8 years '08 (9) '09 (11) '10 (8) '11 (7) '12 (4) '13 (8+) '14 (8+) '15 (8+)

Obviously that isn't written in stone, heck we have to get to 8 yet this year. I think they will, but it isn't a sure bet. Either way, even if it is 7 wins in '13, we are set up to have a good year next year and the following as well.

so when Bama wins 6 NC's in a row what does that say about cycles?

There are many posters whose feedback I was anticipating that is missing. I noticed a similar theme in the season prediction threads from earlier this year when I went back and looked.

I think the reality is they don't want to provide a prediciton or input on what it would take for Ferentz to gain their support back because they risk the loss of having a right to complain.

so when Bama wins 6 NC's in a row what does that say about cycles?

Do you seriously believe were on the same page as Bama? If you seriously believe we are then I'd say it proves the cycle theory wrong. I think if your program is not of the handful of elite programs around the nation then to say success comes in cycles and there will be down years is an adequate statement.

There are many posters whose feedback I was anticipating that is missing. I noticed a similar theme in the season prediction threads from earlier this year when I went back and looked.

I think the reality is they don't want to provide a prediciton or input on what it would take for Ferentz to gain their support back because they risk the loss of having a right to complain.

I predicted 4-8 this year and I'm very happy that I was wrong. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove calling out people who have complained about KF? If we go 7-5 or 8-4, doesn't mean that KF is free from criticism. I still don't agree with some of his in game adjustments and personnel decisions, but happy we are winning. I still think we can be better than our record suggests, if you want to call me out for that then go ahead. Next year will be a big year for KF as there is going to be some expectations. Go Hawks!!!!

Last edited:
Dinardo at BTN has always said that no true spread team will win a NC....he sticks by that. Defensive teams that do not practice against downhill running teams simply are not physical enough to beat those teams late in the year. One thing about KF's style of play...it always looks better in November in cold weather, when the fancy dans curl up in a fetal position...at least in the colder north..... One thing about fans...across the board, they all think their head coach is bad at clock management...because it is so ripe for hindsight second guessing. Never been a coach alive that did not have some late game decision go bad on him...nobody is perfect, and those are the decisions that fans remember...not all the good ones. Mark Trestman of the Bears, late in the Ravens game, let the clock run down even tho it looked like he was going to have zero time left if the Ravens scored from in close...the next day he was asked about it, because everyone was on his butt for that decision, and he had statistical trends/ percentages that supported his non-typical call..and it worked . He has a sabermetric type of analyst in his ear during the game to give him stats on game decisions...interesting,and despite my yelling about it during the game, afterwards it made sense. KF never apologizes or explains some of his calls, but I suspect he has some rationale that fans do not recognize. KF is here to stay, and I am pleased with that.

Yeah, so many trepidations over getting a worse record the first few years of a change... But, what can we expect from KF after 15 years? More mediocrity... So, you want the possibility of a program with national prominence or more mediocrity?

Latest posts