Super Bowl

99topdawg

Bengals coach is a former Nebraska QB. Found it ironic that it looked like every game another former Fusker QB coached this season.

Also, I'm not at all one that ever proclaims a player the goat, but the only one I think I've said, and I've said it for a few years, is Aaron Donald at DT. I've watched a lot of them and have loved watching him as often as I can. The guy's amazing. Try to game plan to stop him the rest of the DL kill you and he still gets his. Glad he finally had his night. Wish he'd have won MVP (Kupp deserved it).

I was pulling for Cincy only because they have never won a SB. But really it was a pretty well played game with stout defenses and some really good offense mostly in the pass game.

I will say I didnt see the 75 yard TD by the Bengals in live TV time but when I saw the replay of what was obvious offensive PI I just had to say how can the NFL not fix this issue. I thought the NFL fixed this issue of obvious PIs being looked at by the booth reviewers and refs. All game long there was a TON, I mean a TON of defensive backfield guys grabbing jerseys and holding down an arm to keep receivers from catching balls and no PIs or penalties were called. And then right at the end they call a flurry of penalties on Cincy, and probably rightfully so, on the Rams TD drive. That inconsistency just drives fans crazy.

That missed extra point sure screwed up a lot of bets people made on Rams -4.

Would be interesting to see a list of all Hawks with Super Bowl rings
Mark Bortz famously (and drunkenly) called his old position coach Dan McCarney in the wee hours of the morning about a week after the Bears won it in 1986. Said he was spending some of his super bowl share by going out on the town.

Bortz, as many of you know, played defensive tackle while at Iowa which explains why Dan McCarney was his position coach. The Bears moved him to guard after they drafted him because they already had McMichael, Hartenstine and Dan Hampton and drafted Richard Dent several rounds before Bortz.

They also drafted Jimbo Covert, Mike Richardson, Dave Duerson and Willie Gault among others in that 1983 draft but that's that's different story for another time.

It was a game where both teams played well enough to win. Cincinnati didn't blow it, the Rams just made all the plays on that final drive and the decision to go on fourth down at midfield was a gutsy one.

Both coaches were playing to win. Cincy went for it on fourth down at midfield as well in the game

Will Van Jefferson ever top that day for the remainder of his life? I think it's hard to beat winning a super bowl and then rushing to the hospital to see your son being born!

26 Hawks have rings...

View attachment 8712
Three Hawks I feel bad for.

1) Jonathan Babineaux. Played 12 seasons in the NFL, all with Atlanta, and was up 28-3 on New England in super bowl LI. Patriots, of course, staged the epic comeback and Babineaux was denied, and it turned out to be his last game.

2) Austin Blythe. Was a mainstay on the Rams OL for four seasons but moved on to Kansas City after the 2020 season. He has just missed winning rings for both teams. Still may get his as long as Mahomes is around.

3) Karl Noonan. Played for Miami in the late sixties to early seventies, but missed out on their 1972 and 1973 rings. He was on the losing end vs Dallas in his final NFL game.

Can we get rid of designating super bowl games by Roman numerals? The closer we get to 100, the more confusing it will become.

I have an easy way of remembering super bowls. My age. It will always be the same as the Roman numeral designating that particular game. This year I am LVI years old.

Can we get rid of designating super bowl games by Roman numerals? The closer we get to 100, the more confusing it will become.
This.

Why don't we use Hebrew numbers, or cuneiform? Or why don't we use binary decimal? Why does it have to be Roman numeral?

RN is like cursive. It's fucking stupid and serves no practical purpose.

Agreed for 2 reasons:

1) He had to spend 12 years with the Lions
2) He had to spend 12 years in Detroit.
I hope Hockenson gets the hell out of there sooner than later. They had some rumors out there of trading him because he'll be due for an extension after next yr and they probably don't want to pay top $ for a TE with all the other issues they always have. So his future will be interesting

Stafford deserved a ring more than the city of Cincinnati.
Well yes , one could say Stafford like many a qb like Chuck Long were drafted into purgatory with the Lions. What a woeful franchise, the Ford's like the Wrigley's, the Halas's and many of those rich old guard owners were just cheaper that crap.

I still do not forgive the Bears McCaskey/Halas families for not paying to keep Wilbur Marshall and that 85 defense together, sheer greed instead of wanting another championship

Three Hawks I feel bad for.

1) Jonathan Babineaux. Played 12 seasons in the NFL, all with Atlanta, and was up 28-3 on New England in super bowl LI. Patriots, of course, staged the epic comeback and Babineaux was denied, and it turned out to be his last game.

2) Austin Blythe. Was a mainstay on the Rams OL for four seasons but moved on to Kansas City after the 2020 season. He has just missed winning rings for both teams. Still may get his as long as Mahomes is around.

3) Karl Noonan. Played for Miami in the late sixties to early seventies, but missed out on their 1972 and 1973 rings. He was on the losing end vs Dallas in his final NFL game.

I have an easy way of remembering super bowls. My age. It will always be the same as the Roman numeral designating that particular game. This year I am LVI years old.
Good grief. Northside, do you have a job? A family? Hobbies? Or are you committed to spend your life in pusuit of fact collection on Iowa sports ? Love your stuff! Just had to bust your balls in good fun.

Good grief. Northside, do you have a job? A family? Hobbies? Or are you committed to spend your life in pusuit of fact collection on Iowa sports ? Love your stuff! Just had to bust your balls in good fun.
Yes, yes, yes and you should see me on Facebook. But I can't be anonymous there.

You'd be surprised at how much I verify facts on Google. But I get some of it from recall. I've been a fan since 1978 and was a student for five and a half years. I have a story or two to tell. The trick is to always leave out a tidbit or two so you can tell the same story another time and insert a tidbit and make it sound fresh.

@Northside Hawk is a national treasure to the Hawkeye community. Cliff Clavin ain't got shit on him.

If I ever need to know what 3 Hawkeye football players have scored over 40 points in a high school basketball game as sophomores on a Tuesday in February against a team with a player named Collins I know exactly where I'm going.

@Northside Hawk makes Tim Kurkjian look like Patrick from SpongeBob.

I hope Hockenson gets the hell out of there sooner than later. They had some rumors out there of trading him because he'll be due for an extension after next yr and they probably don't want to pay top $ for a TE with all the other issues they always have. So his future will be interesting
San Fran baby.

Obviously it wouldn't be affordable under the cap, but can you imagine a 2 TE set with Kittle and Hawkenson? They can both block like O-lineman and both can go post or across the middle. How do you defend that?

San Fran baby.

Obviously it wouldn't be affordable under the cap, but can you imagine a 2 TE set with Kittle and Hawkenson? They can both block like O-lineman and both can go post or across the middle. How do you defend that?
They have a glaring need for a #2 TE too... I would say it's not impossible for a trade to happen this off season for it. As you said it'd just have to be for next year the last on his rookie contract. No way SF could pay top dollar for 2 TEs hardly any team can/would prioritize that. However once they get Jimmy G off the books they'll have some $ to spend they are under the cap so who knows. Having your QB on rookie contract gives some flexibility with that

Latest posts