Sunday Morning Notes: Reconciling Iowa State’s Success

RobHowe

Administrator
HN's David Schwartz kicks off his Sunday notes column by addressing Iowa State's rising and how it relates to the Hawkeyes:

LINK

He is spot-on, we should be congratulatory toward ISU and their fans. They're putting together a really nice season, and for all the folks who complain about defense--or lack thereof--in the Big XII, defense has played a big part in their success.

His post-script mentions Fleck and The Wave. Does nobody get that, having lost a child himself, Coach Fleck would feel particular affinity for it? I know the histrionics can be annoying, but by all I have seen, Coach Fleck seems like a pretty decent guy.

Last edited:
I think the proper move would be (I say "would be" since I live in KC so it's not an issue for me) to graciously compliment them on their fine season so far, wish them well the rest of the year, and then casually ask who they think the next coach should be after Campbell leaves.

Iowa fans have grown used to not having serious competition within the state in football. It may not last given the uncertain status of the Big 12 and the fact that nobody knows how long Matt Campbell intends to stay in Ames but he has clearly built a quality product there in a short amount of time. It gives us a good reminder that you have to continuously work to keep yourself competitive which has never seemed a strong suit with Kirk at the helm.

I watched the second half of their game until ours came on and found myself really pulling for the Cyclones which didn't seem hard to do. As Iowa fans let's hope that the program can find a way to move forward as Kirk transitions to retirement. Have a gut feeling we have a somewhat bumpy ride ahead of us until we get there.

I was in Europe for the past three weeks and really wasn't able to follow what was going on in CFB, but when I got home...my dog was screwing my cat, half the actresses in Hollywood had been raped by Harvey Weinstein, and Houston was in the World Series. Then I saw that Iowa State was ranked in the AP top 25...and somehow it all made sense.

Good for them as they are making something of their season after losing their Super Bowl. However, look for ISU to be ISU again next year. They lose to much.....and possibly their coach.

Still curious to see how they will finish with West Virginia, OSU, and KSU left to play.

Last edited:
They have coaches who aren't conservative wimps and actually call plays that aren't trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. On top of that their receivers actually catch the ball. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when they lose Lazard as he is half their offense.

I am not sure how exactly the saying goes, but I think it goes as follows: "The sun shines on a dog's ass some days." Well, it is shining on ISU. At some point I knew Iowa St. would have a magical season I didn't think it would be this season, though.

I am treating this like the 2011 season. If the media and local attention are skewed toward Iowa St. I am okay with it. Let them have their moment. Iowa isn't doing anything this year.

I am old school when it comes to this stuff. I will never root for a rival. That being said, I enjoy watching ISU play because they are the complete opposite of Iowa. It is not about the "process" it is about figuring it out on how to get W(s). Long term it may be better to be Iowa, in the moment it is better to be ISU. Imagine if Ryan Boyle had to play right now. This isn't a knock on Boyle, it is a knock on Iowa's offensive system.

Bottom line for me, beat Nebraska, get to and win their bowl game. I guess I am suppose to believe in the "process" now. So I am hoping Wirts/Jackson will become beasts and Iowa has book end NFL tackles for the next 2 years.

I'm a Hawkeye alum and lifelong fan. I thoroughly enjoy beating Iowa State and every other opponent on the schedule. However, I never understood Iowa fan hatred toward ISU. It always struck me as petty, at best, and mostly just pathetically hypocritical and condescending.

There's one weekend a season I hope ISU loses. Otherwise, ever since the Crutchfield days, I enjoy watching them and want em to win.

While I wish it was the Hawks having that consistent level of performance and success, at least there's a refreshing alternative that is enjoyable to watch, week-in / out. One that has proven capable of competing with and, more importantly, beating high quality competition.

They have coaches who aren't conservative wimps and actually call plays that aren't trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. On top of that their receivers actually catch the ball. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when they lose Lazard as he is half their offense.

Lazard is a important piece, but he isn't half their offense. There receivers average 6'3, 210 lbs. and their 4th guy is a walk-on track guy that runs a 4.4 forty. They have a nice little offense there. Tom Manning seems to be an exceptional play caller.

Last edited:
Lazard is a important piece, but he isn't half their offense. There receivers average 6'3, 210 lbs. and their 4th guy is a walk-on track guy that runs a 4.4 forty. They have a nice little offense there. Tom Lanning seems to be an exceptional play caller.

It seems like he's caught 1 or 2 TD's every week, but apparently he only has 5 TD's on the year. Still, losing him, Ryen, and Murdock will make them pretty inexperienced at WR next season. Also, Kempt is clearly a better QB than Park so that will hurt as well. Butler and Montgomery are studs though.

Tom Roach was a very good ISU player, and Luther Blue...

Plus they had tall and talented receivers when I watched them play Iowa...something to envy, I suppose.

Are they the only team this year to beat two top-4 teams?

It seems like he's caught 1 or 2 TD's every week, but apparently he only has 5 TD's on the year. Still, losing him, Ryen, and Murdock will make them pretty inexperienced at WR next season. Also, Kempt is clearly a better QB than Park so that will hurt as well. Butler and Montgomery are studs though.

Yeah, 2018 will be interesting......You have to like Manning/Campbell putting their heads together and coming up with something that will make them competitive.

What's interesting to me is most of the players are not campbells, they came from Rhodes. Basically all the main players except Montgomery were prior to Campbell.

So really we haven't seen a true Campbell team yet. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I'm sure most schools that recruit against Iowa State will remind players that Campbell won't be there long. Isu is going to need to lock him up if they want to have any chance

ISU is a veteran team.... 4th/5th yr Sr's WR's; QB is a 5th yr Sr; RB is returning leading rusher; OL have some returning experience, got a 5th yr OT back. DL, while some JUCO's - they aren't 18-19 yr olds. MLB is new position, but ton of of-field experience - 'QBing the defense'; 2ndary is experienced.

Consistent coaching staff for 2 years - no changes - huge in college football.

They've made big special team plays, have a ++ turnover margin, opponents have a lot more penalties..... these are facts and when it all comet together, you get a special season.

While I wish it was the Hawks having that consistent level of performance and success, at least there's a refreshing alternative that is enjoyable to watch, week-in / out. One that has proven capable of competing with and, more importantly, beating high quality competition.
I’ve watched the ISU games. I don’t know how “refreshing” some of these games have been but they have beaten two top five opponents in very different ways. Props to them.

Not out of the realms of possibility is an Iowa - Iowa State rematch in a bowl game. Depending on how things go we could be looking at a couple teams w/ similar records. Iowa likely drops two of the remaining four as does Iowa State. Don't know how bowl committees feel about rematches but a B!G - B12 bowl committee would have to look this one with at least some interest.

Latest posts