Sunday Bowl Blog Update: Links, Hawks & Huskers

Example #2.

In your mind, NFL Network > ESPN, and ISU/Minnesota > Iowa/Nebraska. That about sum it up?
It was still the "Toilet Bowl" no matter who matched up in it 12 months ago, then when it was two 6-6 teams it when to the "Worthless Bowl" Im just grinning from ear to ear that Karma has struck again, but Jon and fellow Hawks could change the perception of the game so much because it includes Iowa AND does not include ISU. ISU/Minnesota cant help the rating with it being on NFL Network last season, half the country does not even get the station. In the eyes of the country, it does not matter who plays in this game, the perception of this game NATIONWIDE will still be low and very few people, more than last season of course since its on ESPN, will tune in.

No, did not destroy this bowl game and did not call it the Toilet Bowl. Why would we do that? ISU was 6-6 in year one of the Rhoads era and it was great for them to make it to any bowl game. We talked about it being on the NFL network, and how that stunk, and how the ratings for it stunk, because of that.

But you are making things up to fit your hate. Not the first or last time that will happen, but it is what it is.

No Iowa fan is jumping up and down saying 'YES! We may be going to the Insight Bowl!'

It is what it is this year, a disappointing season. But if its a bowl game against Nebraska, that puts some lipstick on the pig. And the facts show its a different level of bowl game than it was a year ago from payout, its moving up in the pecking order in each conference, that its on a national cable network now, etc.

So Iowa and Nebraska could play in a bowl game against each other, a game they never wanted to play in before the season started...but those 15 bowl practices and development for the future, you can't put a price tag on that.
First off I do not hate Iowa, I just remember the bashing ISU got for the Insight Bowl last season and think its unbelievable how strong the Karma is today. You were slamming the matchup last season and laughing about two 6-6 teams making a bowl, but whatever, after you have forgotten just how bad the Insight was last season and spun it off to be so much better, I can see how you can forget what you said about ISU playing in the game last season.

Both Hawkeye and Cyclone fans would do well to remember some words of wisdom from great Hayden Fry, "There is no such thing as a bad bowl."

First off I do not hate Iowa, I just remember the bashing ISU got for the Insight Bowl last season and think its unbelievable how strong the Karma is today. You were slamming the matchup last season and laughing about two 6-6 teams making a bowl, but whatever, after you have forgotten just how bad the Insight was last season and spun it off to be so much better, I can see how you can forget what you said about ISU playing in the game last season.

Since you're so certain of what Jon said, I'm sure you could come up with some quotes to back up your claim.

It was still the "Toilet Bowl" no matter who matched up in it 12 months ago, then when it was two 6-6 teams it when to the "Worthless Bowl" Im just grinning from ear to ear that Karma has struck again, but Jon and fellow Hawks could change the perception of the game so much because it includes Iowa AND does not include ISU. ISU/Minnesota cant help the rating with it being on NFL Network last season, half the country does not even get the station. In the eyes of the country, it does not matter who plays in this game, the perception of this game NATIONWIDE will still be low and very few people, more than last season of course since its on ESPN, will tune in.

Of course most of the country does not care about the game. Most non-BCS games are fortunate to do a 2.00 tv rating. Not sure who you are debating with here.

As far as grinning ear to ear about karma, you might want to floss with this: Iowa will be developing its 2011 team over the next month with those bowl prep practices. You'll be left with your 'enjoyment' that Iowa will be in the Insight bowl, while your program does not benefit from such development opportunities. I am glad most ISU fans I know do not share your smallness over such things.

One more thing that some of your particular bent are not considering: If its Iowa vs Nebraska in the Insight, that accelerates the onslaught of central Iowa Husker media coverage well ahead of what it would have been. It accelerates the Iowa and Husker rivalry to the front page months in advance.

It means that for the next month, its all Hawks and Huskers on talk radio in Central Iowa, and little to no talk about Iowa State athletics. Zip.

I have felt the Hawkeye-Husker rivalry was going to be a bad thing for ISU with regards to air time, column inches and buzz...ISU will still be talked about and covered, because they deserve it and they are local. However, there will be less of that, because there will be more Husker talk and more Hawkeye-Husker talk.

That's not a good thing.

So you can be giddy in your mini fortress of hate, ignoring the reality of the situation while you cling to your karma. Enjoy

You are making stuff up, because that didn't happen.

I was impressed that ISU made a bowl game in year one of the Rhoads era, talked about how good that was for the program going forward, etc. I have a lot of respect for Coach Rhoads. I have stoked the Iowa-ISU thing plenty, but what you are saying is untrue. Sorry to burst your bubble. Deace would have gone crazy had I said any of that. It did not happen.

Maybe I can highlight the points Jon is making when he says it is a better bowl this year....

1) The payout is larger.
2) It is on ESPN.
3) It has moved up in the selection order.

Does that help you? Would you disagree that these three facts, regardless of what bowl, would improve any bowl?

Since you're so certain of what Jon said, I'm sure you could come up with some quotes to back up your claim.
Cant direct quote him, but it was the overall perception he laid on the game. Its whatever, Im just laughing at how this game has changed so much over the course of the season because it moved up the pecking order of the Big 12 and how more payout, but the biggest is that it now has Iowa in it? Still is the same location, same sponsor, and actually loses some lust with it not being on New Year's eve. Its a great bowl, nothing better than Tempe in December, an Iowa/Nebraska would be great to watch for Midwesterns, but just pointing to the karma in this whole situation after we had to listen to the 12-0 stuff every morning on KXNO and now Iowa has fallen to the same bowl game as ISU last season.

Maybe I can highlight the points Jon is making when he says it is a better bowl this year....

1) The payout is larger.
2) It is on ESPN.
3) It has moved up in the selection order.

Does that help you? Would you disagree that these three facts, regardless of what bowl, would improve any bowl?

C'mon, you know what the answer is.

Cant direct quote him, but it was the overall perception he laid on the game. Its whatever, Im just laughing at how this game has changed so much over the course of the season because it moved up the pecking order of the Big 12 and how more payout, but the biggest is that it now has Iowa in it? Still is the same location, same sponsor, and actually loses some lust with it not being on New Year's eve. Its a great bowl, nothing better than Tempe in December, an Iowa/Nebraska would be great to watch for Midwesterns, but just pointing to the karma in this whole situation after we had to listen to the 12-0 stuff every morning on KXNO and now Iowa has fallen to the same bowl game as ISU last season.

I tell you, I am shocked by that. You seemed so certain, too. A shame.

Funny how Hawk fans spin the Insight Bowl when they may go to it. KARMA anyone?

When these are the facts there really isn't much to spin:

1) the payout increased per team by over $1.5 million
2) People can watch it now that it is on ESPN and not the NFL Network
3) It picked 7th last year and now picks 5th and will be 4th every other year

So you tell me how this isn't improved and it is the same bowl ISU played in last year.

Maybe someone else mentioned this...but on the Gator Bowl website I noticed Michigan and Florida displayed very prominently in the picture for ordering merchandise on the right side of the homepage: Gator Bowl Association

My argument isn't that the bowl hasn't been enhanced. It has.

My argument isn't that the bowl match up won't be better, on paper, than last year's. It will.

Is it a nice "insight" (pun intended) to next year's Big-10 schedule? Absolutely.

My argument is that it's a late start, middle of the week, and still a lower-tier bowl. We won't make a dime off of it, and probably will lose money, depending on who the University comps and who they take as part of the "entourage." Not something we can really hang our recruiting hat on.

And honestly, you have two teams who realistically don't want to be there. For some of the same reasons (expectations).

Is it an honor anymore to be selected to one of these types of bowl games? Nope.
Is it a dishonor/disadvantage not to be going to any bowl game, considering there are 35 bowl games for 120 potential teams? Yes.

Last edited:

I highlighted why this bowl is improved, two 6-6 teams won't be meeting in this bowl anymore. Hell Nebraska is going to it with 10 wins, if it was like this last year and in the same pecking order, then ISU and Minnesota don't play in this game.

Iowa is going to a bowl game. ISU is not. Iowa beat ISU 35-7 this year after beating the Clones 35-0 last year. And yet, a few Clown fans are over here crowing. Really? Really?

I'm sorry Clones, but that is pathetically weak. All you have is your own warped version of "karma", and it's just sad.

When these are the facts there really isn't much to spin:

1) the payout increased per team by over $1.5 million
2) People can watch it now that it is on ESPN and not the NFL Network
3) It picked 7th last year and now picks 5th and will be 4th every other year

So you tell me how this isn't improved and it is the same bowl ISU played in last year.
Same sponsor, same location, NOT on New Years eve, likely incorporating only Midwestern fans if Iowa and Nebraska play, very little name recognition outside of the teams playing in it, A LONG fall from the BCS game Iowa was in last season no matter how you suger coat it, oh and ISU played in it last season and was ripped for it being the "Toilet Bowl"..beyond that I agree, but remember the payout does not go directly to the school, but to the conference, so what does that matter?

Iowa is going to a bowl game. ISU is not. Iowa beat ISU 35-7 this year after beating the Clones 35-0 last year. And yet, a few Clown fans are over here crowing. Really? Really?

I'm sorry Clones, but that is pathetically weak. All you have is your own warped version of "karma", and it's just sad.
Spin it how you want to Iowa State is likely a better team at this point than Iowa, both were a dropped pass away from being a 6-6 team, I would put my house on ISU beating Iowa next season.

I highlighted why this bowl is improved, two 6-6 teams won't be meeting in this bowl anymore. Hell Nebraska is going to it with 10 wins, if it was like this last year and in the same pecking order, then ISU and Minnesota don't play in this game.
Big 12 bowls suck, enough said.

Most schools do not make money on bowl games. The behind the scenes bowl stuff is the best part of Death to the BCS book, IMO. Ohio State had to eat seats at last year's Rose and the Fiesta the year before...a lot of them.

However, every school NOT in a bowl game this year would likely write over a check, losing money, just to get the 15 practices for being in a bowl game. You can take that to the bank.

Latest posts