Suck it haterz!

We're celebrating the bottom half of the offensive rankings, but TBH I'm thrilled. We've all agreed that if we can stay in the middle third we can be successful with our elite defense.

bcftoys.com has efficiency rankings updated through Week 2 (https://www.bcftoys.com/2023-ofei).

Iowa Offense: 92nd
Iowa Defense: 5th
Iowa ST: 3rd

It will be interesting to see how much Week 3 boosts us.

When we had NFL-caliber OL and borderline NFL WR and QB (i.e. 2017 - 2019), Iowa was generally in the 40th - 50th range in OFEI.

You people really don’t understand the whole “quality of opponent” thang. Although it really isn’t any different any other year (only difference is whether we are forced to play Michigan/TOSU). In years we don’t, we shouldn’t be allowed to measure either unit

You people really don’t understand the whole “quality of opponent” thang. Although it really isn’t any different any other year (only difference is whether we are forced to play Michigan/TOSU). In years we don’t, we shouldn’t be allowed to measure either unit
So, we measure and complain about it when Iowa's the worst, but when they aren't the worse, it's because Iowa hasn't played any quality opponents yet.... and frankly, if we don't play UM or TOSU, should we even measure it at all?

You guys live in a fantasy world but I am here for it.

Iowa played 7 of it's 12 games against (statistically) top 20 defenses last year, I don't hear anyone trying to use that as a reason as to why they didn't do very well on offense.

So, we measure and complain about it when Iowa's the worst, but when they aren't the worse, it's because Iowa hasn't played any quality opponents yet.... and frankly, if we don't play UM or TOSU, should we even measure it at all?

Iowa played against 7 of it's 12 games against (statistically) top 20 defenses last year, I don't hear anyone trying to use that as a reason as to why they didn't do very well on offense.
I agree with your overall point of not being able to ever win with some folks. There is always a reason to hate.

But in fairness to your last stat, the Big Ten West is so putrid in offense across the board that it does not surprise me that it produces some of the best defenses. Its not hard to have a good defense when you are playing Iowa, Nebraska, NW, and Minnesota every year. :) Throw in 3 cupcakes in the preseason and statistically you look pretty good given who you are defending against. As I have argued elsewhere, Phil Parker would not be near the genius if he had been in the East or the SEC West the last ten years. But, it is what it is and we have been in the West, so.....

I agree with your overall point of not being able to ever win with some folks. There is always a reason to hate.

But in fairness to your last stat, the Big Ten West is so putrid in offense across the board that it does not surprise me that it produces some of the best defenses. Its not hard to have a good defense when you are playing Iowa, Nebraska, NW, and Minnesota every year. :) Throw in 3 cupcakes in the preseason and statistically you look pretty good given who you are defending against. As I have argued elsewhere, Phil Parker would not be near the genius if he had been in the East or the SEC West the last ten years. But, it is what it is and we have been in the West, so.....
I do get what you are saying...but TOSU doesn't live in the West, ISU doesn't live in the West, Michigan, doesn't live in the West....KY doesn't live in the west.

Iowa did also play MN, WI and IL - all of which were at least better than average most of last season too and I get that their D #'s were likley aided by the strength of offenses last season... I still think Parkers a genius.

Iowa played 7 of it's 12 games against (statistically) top 20 defenses last year, I don't hear anyone trying to use that as a reason as to why they didn't do very well on offense.
Record shows that Kirk is a respectable 7-8 vs Michigan, though they have rolled us pretty good lately.

Meanwhile the immortal Hayden was 4-11-1 against them.

I'm proud of both coaches, but in this specific example Kirk has had substantially more success.

I've debunked every myth he's tried to throw out there with the Hayden vs Kirk thing from who has had the higher career scoring average (Kirk) to how boring Hayden's teams could be when he knew he had the killer defense/kicking game (1981) to head to head succes vs Michigan (Kirk by a wide margin)

Now if he wanted to compare head to head vs Wisconsin and Northwestern he would be on to something.

Nice try. You make this same dull post with great frequency.

Reactions: trj
As I have stated over and over again, they will win the West. Will they have enough to overcome the East champ in early December? That's the million dollar question. This is KF's last shot at a B1G title and I have the pom-poms out rooting for him. A year where everyone looks super vulnerable in the B1G, you do want to put your chips all in.

I’ve explained it over & over. Not interested again. Sorry

I do get what you are saying...but TOSU doesn't live in the West, ISU doesn't live in the West, Michigan, doesn't live in the West....KY doesn't live in the west.

Iowa did also play MN, WI and IL - all of which were at least better than average most of last season too and I get that their D #'s were likley aided by the strength of offenses last season... I still think Parkers a genius.
For the record, me thinks parker is a great coach too. And i give Kirk credit for a hell of a lot of things. I just don’t like his schedule & while him & parker are geniuses for the defense played in Iowa City the last 20-plus, I don’t view it as a top 10 defense because we don’t play a schedule that would scream it.

We're celebrating the bottom half of the offensive rankings, but TBH I'm thrilled. We've all agreed that if we can stay in the middle third we can be successful with our elite defense.

We are in the top quartile of the bottom half. That's fine. It's when we are in the bottom decile of the bottom half that is a problem.

I am not sure what you are driving it here, but I think comparing the West to OSU and Michigan proves the point. The last time we played those teams they put up pinball numbers against our D (with the help of our O's incompetence). Despite the skewed games against the powers of the East, we still ended up being a Top 10 D because we feast of Fleck, Frost, Fitz and other incompetent offensive minds.

The West is simply bad offensively. Any D coordinator would crawl over his mother's twitching body to coach against Brian "25" Ferentz and the Western Fuckalong Gang.

Latest posts