Success Regular Season Despite Lack of Championship

Have to give players and staff credit for the final month when conference record was 7-5.

Now that season is in the books - which team had the most / least beneficial schedule?
Iowa only had to play MIch & Purdue once, but also only got to play Penn St & Neb once....

Have to give players and staff credit for the final month when conference record was 7-5.

Now that season is in the books - which team had the most / least beneficial schedule?
Iowa only had to play MIch & Purdue once, but also only got to play Penn St & Neb once....
Add Illinois. Two of those three were away games.

In terms of team accomplishments reaching the double bye for the first time in 11 years is an achievement considering the level of competition this season. Winning 7 of the last 8 games stands out from previous seasons. Injuries to Fredericks and Nunge dampened prospects. Iowa ended up 15 points shy in 4 conference games of sporting an 18 and 2 record.

Iowa needed 6 more points @ Illinois, 5 more against Ohio State, 3 more @ Indiana, and 1 more in regulation @ Minnesota. Probably even less as some spreads were increased by having to play catch up by fouling. You can ask what if CJ had not been hurt or Nunge but in the end your competition probably has their own what ifs.

Early in the season a few media types had little confidence that Iowa would reach this level of success. It was good that Iowa proved the naysayers wrong. The ankle injury to Weiskamp could not have happened at the worst time. Hopefully recovery will be quick.

The 2 games against Indiana and the OT loss at Minnesota still grinds my ass. But it's been a fun season and they have had to over come some injuries. Best team we've seen at Iowa in a long time. I just hope they can make some noise in the post season.

It was a very good season and the CJ injury seemed to take them out of their stride and to struggle enough to have some losses (not all due to CJ being out). The two losses to IU and last 45 second give away at Minny kept it from being a super season at 23-4.

Even though the preseason polls had us at #5, I never really believed they could defend well enough to stay there. Well, the regular season is over, and here we are at #5. So I definitely consider this season a success and am glad this team proved me wrong.

This team's final legacy is yet to be written, and will ultimately be judged by what happens a couple weeks from now, because I think most us believe this team can do some damage in tournament play. Regardless, it's been a very nice regular season. Feels good to be on the right side of things for once. It's been a long time coming and I feel we as fans deserved a fun season like this after going through the previous two coaches.