Submit your Big Ten Division Names here

The names need to be easy for the general public to identify with and not confuse. Ideas like Leaders and Legends or Stars and Stripes just don't work well. If that was what the SEC or PAC10 used, we'd all constantly confuse them. East and West fit the bill well, but they are overused. I like Plains and Lakes. It creates a quick mental image and doesn't confuse.

Another idea I haven't seen mentioned creates an inflow of cash. Pick a couple of large midwest corporations to purchase naming rights. Ford is a no brainer. Target is based in Minnesota. Maybe Ford and Target. If you wanted to go automotive and then agricultural, you could use Ford and Deere.

OK go with me on this one.
During the War of 1812, much of the fighting took place in the Old Northwest Territory which included the current states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and the Northeast corner of Minnesota.
Two of the most famous combatants from this era in this territory were the great Native American leader Tecumseh, and William Henry Harrison or Tippecanoe.
Tecumseh fought for the British, but was really fighting with them only to preserve Indian Territory for his people and many other tribes. He had actually been fighting American territorial expansion beginning in about 1810. This was known as Tecumseh’s War. Once the war between the British and the Americans began in 1812 Tecumseh allied himself and his peoples with the British.
Harrison was the territorial leader of Indiana and eventually served as Governor of the state before becoming President of the United States. During Tecumseh’s War, Harrison led a successful victory against one band of the Indian Confederacy near the Wabash and Tippecanoe rivers. Harrison gain notoriety for this victory and gained the nickname Tippecanoe which was later used as a campaign slogan during his presidential election of 1836. “Tippecanoe and Tyler Tooâ€￾.

So why not the Tecumseh & Tippecanoe Divisions, or Tecumseh and Harrison Divisions? These names would represent a part of American history that a lot of people who live in Big Ten country now, may not really know about. Certainly these two men were big rivals as I'm sure the BT hopes these divisions will be.

Thoughts?

OK go with me on this one.
During the War of 1812, much of the fighting took place in the Old Northwest Territory which included the current states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and the Northeast corner of Minnesota.
Two of the most famous combatants from this era in this territory were the great Native American leader Tecumseh, and William Henry Harrison or Tippecanoe.
Tecumseh fought for the British, but was really fighting with them only to preserve Indian Territory for his people and many other tribes. He had actually been fighting American territorial expansion beginning in about 1810. This was known as Tecumseh’s War. Once the war between the British and the Americans began in 1812 Tecumseh allied himself and his peoples with the British.
Harrison was the territorial leader of Indiana and eventually served as Governor of the state before becoming President of the United States. During Tecumseh’s War, Harrison led a successful victory against one band of the Indian Confederacy near the Wabash and Tippecanoe rivers. Harrison gain notoriety for this victory and gained the nickname Tippecanoe which was later used as a campaign slogan during his presidential election of 1836. “Tippecanoe and Tyler Tooâ€￾.

So why not the Tecumseh & Tippecanoe Divisions, or Tecumseh and Harrison Divisions? These names would represent a part of American history that a lot of people who live in Big Ten country now, may not really know about. Certainly these two men were big rivals as I'm sure the BT hopes these divisions will be.

Thoughts?

Those are too many characters. It needs to be easy to fit on TV graphics. And 1/2 of the people interested in football have the reading skills of a 3 year old after 1 week on the Your Baby Can Read program so they wouldn't even be able to say the names correctly.

How about: Ohio Valley & Mississippi Valley Divisions. Can you imagine Dr. Lou trying to pronounce that at the end of a long Football Saturday?

Heartland Division
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minesotta
Nebraska
Northwestern

Midland Division
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

The divisional champs play for a conference championship in "The Battle for the Midwest"

Mighty Wind Division
Iowa
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Michigan State

SqueakFart Division
Minnesota
Northwestern
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Michigan

(you have to imagine the audio)

Stars and Stripes
Block and Tackle
Power and Strength
American and National (yeah, not very original there but it works everywhere else)
Professional and Amateur (I think we know which one Ohio State is in)
Far and Wide
Pass and Run
Fox and Hound
Princess and Frog
Planes and Trains
Windshield and Bug
Flash and Gordon
Sun and Moon
Land and Sea

and the best one of all.....

East and West

How about making a trophy to present to the division that wins the most cross division games and giving the winner each year the name trophy division and the other the losers division? I know it would be confusing because the names could change each year but it would make some games more interesting.

Heartland and Midwest divisions

I also like Lakes and Plains divisions, but realize the Big Ten is really on the edge of the Plains, so it may not be the best.

Ok, so I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading all this crap. That's 5 minutes I will NEVER get back, but I digress....

Everything is crap except Jon's suggestion. Lakes and Plains......great division names. Lets roll with it.

Latest posts