Submit 64 Greatest Moments in Hawkeye Athletics Suggestions Here

#1 darkest moment maybe. Iowa had more wins in the BTT in 2005 and 2006 under the tutelage of Alford (5) than our last two coaches combined (4).
Yes, the memorable March "situations" that Alford's teams often found themselves in.

Yes, the memorable March "situations" that Alford's teams often found themselves in.

Only cause his BTT were followed up by early exits. I get winning the conference tourney, but then NW State for example...........

We've got a mixture of moments, teams, games and players. I'll try to sort through these in the coming days.

The 1997 Iowa Wrestlers. Gables last year, they scored the most points ever at Nationals with 170 points ( think that still stands) 8 All Americans 5 of them were national champions that year

We've got a mixture of moments, teams, games and players. I'll try to sort through these in the coming days.

Uh oh, I think I hear those wheels in your head spinning. You have your four regions!

Round 1 AJ Epenesa shredding the USC QB's rotator cuff versus the Tyler Sash to Micah Hyde Pitch 6. I like it.

My head is spinning but it has little to do with this idea.

I have three kids at home and my wife at home. Normally it's me and the dog. He lets me work. ;)

Chuck Long and Brad Banks finishing as runners-up. They have to at least be in the play-in game.
Then you'll need to also include Alex Karras (1957) and Randy Duncan (1958), also second place finishers. I think only Stanford has had more second place finishers, many others have had 4.

Last edited:
Luke Recker game winner to beat Indiana
JBo game winner at Wisconsin
Tate to Holloway - has to be a 1 seed
7 got 6

2016 upset of Michigan. The "give us 14" comment from Josey to CJ in the tunnel prior to the game still gives me chills just thinking about it. The game winning FG by Duncan was the cherry on top. Also a 1 seed in my mind.

2017 OT win at ISU
2019 JBo leavings his shoes on the ISU court after a win
2019 Duncan game winner over Nebraska and the finger wagging swagger.
2012 Iowa NIT win vs Dayton. Probably not a popular choice but what this game meant for Iowa basketball and the performance of Matt Gatens in his last game at Carver puts it on the list for me.
2016 NCAA tourney win over Temple. Game winning tip in by Woodbury in OT.
2 blocked FGs in a row to beat UNI.
Wieskamp game winner from the corner behind the backboard that somehow banked in.
2009 football win at PSU. Clayborn with the punt block scoop and score.
Luka Garza 2019-2020 season and NPOY
Megan Gustafson winning NPOY and becoming the GOAT basketball player at Iowa.
Womens basketball winning 2019 Big 10 tourney.
Iowa baseball winning 2017 Big 10 tourney
Jake Adam's breaking Big 10 single season HR record and 3rd most in NCAA.
2016 Iowa baseball as the 8 seed (lowest seed in tourney) making a run to the conference title game.
Not a huge wrestling fan but the dual at Kinnick against OSU that game down to the final match was pretty cool.
The Dual win at home against PSU was also pretty cool.

In case you can't figure it out from my username. I was born in 89, so my Iowa memories start in the early 2000s.

Luke Recker game winner to beat Indiana
JBo game winner at Wisconsin
Tate to Holloway - has to be a 1 seed
7 got 6

2016 upset of Michigan. The "give us 14" comment from Josey to CJ in the tunnel prior to the game still gives me chills just thinking about it. The game winning FG by Duncan was the cherry on top. Also a 1 seed in my mind.

2017 OT win at ISU
2019 JBo leavings his shoes on the ISU court after a win
2019 Duncan game winner over Nebraska and the finger wagging swagger.
2012 Iowa NIT win vs Dayton. Probably not a popular choice but what this game meant for Iowa basketball and the performance of Matt Gatens in his last game at Carver puts it on the list for me.
2016 NCAA tourney win over Temple. Game winning tip in by Woodbury in OT.
2 blocked FGs in a row to beat UNI.
Wieskamp game winner from the corner behind the backboard that somehow banked in.
2009 football win at PSU. Clayborn with the punt block scoop and score.
Luka Garza 2019-2020 season and NPOY
Megan Gustafson winning NPOY and becoming the GOAT basketball player at Iowa.
Womens basketball winning 2019 Big 10 tourney.
Iowa baseball winning 2017 Big 10 tourney
Jake Adam's breaking Big 10 single season HR record and 3rd most in NCAA.
2016 Iowa baseball as the 8 seed (lowest seed in tourney) making a run to the conference title game.
Not a huge wrestling fan but the dual at Kinnick against OSU that game down to the final match was pretty cool.
The Dual win at home against PSU was also pretty cool.

In case you can't figure it out from my username. I was born in 89, so my Iowa memories start in the early 2000s.

Forgot JBo purposely missing the FT to keep Street's record in place.

How about Alford's first win at Iowa over defending champs UCONN
Brett Greenwood/Doyle and Angerer leading the swarm out against Pitt will bring tears to your eyes
the goalline stand against syracuse
Clayborn blocked punt scoop and score vs psu
pick and lateral sash to hyde MSU
Marshall yanda murders iSU player on reverse 2006

I'll sift through this thread this weekend and come up with a list of your ideas. Then I'll put them in a bracket. And then we'll vote.

How about Alford's first win at Iowa over defending champs UCONN
Brett Greenwood/Doyle and Angerer leading the swarm out against Pitt will bring tears to your eyes
the goalline stand against syracuse
Clayborn blocked punt scoop and score vs psu
pick and lateral sash to hyde MSU
Marshall yanda murders iSU player on reverse 2006

Greenwood leading the swarm before that game against Pitt is one of my favorite moments of that magical 2015 season.

Latest posts