Sub rules in Bears game?

westview

In the game yesterday Hannie entered the game near the end of the 3rd quarter. The announcers said if he got hurt Cutler or Collins could not return. They said if Lovie had waited to the 4 quarter, they could return. Anyone understand this?

NFL rules dictate that if you use your emergency 3rd string quarterback before the start of the 4th quarter, you are no longer allowed to play any QB's ahead of him on the depth chart.

doesn't matter.... cutler wasn't coming back in. his skirt had a tear in the seam and it didn't make sense for him to return with that sort of inconvenience.

I believe this is only if the 3rd stringer isn't active for the game. If a team would have all 3 active for the game then I think they can bring the other guys back in whenever they want. It just don't make much sense to have a 3rd string QB active taking up a game day roster spot when the 2nd stringer is rarely used. Had the Bears been more prepared maybe they would've had Hanie as the backup in the first place.

wow, I had never heard of that rule. Wonder what the reasoning is?

In 1991, the NFL set up the 45 man roster rules stating that a team could have only 2 quarterbacks on their active roster for a game. They added that the 46th man could be a 3rd quarterback and could only play in an emergency and that if they played before the 4th quarter, the others were not eligible to play.

Not sure why it was so important to the rules committee to only let them have 2 qb's though.

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know they didn't have a choice to have 3 QB's active. I don't know why a team would want 3 active, but I don't see why they can't if they want to. Didn't the Eagles have 3 active on game days last year with McNabb, Kolb, and Vick?

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know they didn't have a choice to have 3 QB's active. I don't know why a team would want 3 active, but I don't see why they can't if they want to. Didn't the Eagles have 3 active on game days last year with McNabb, Kolb, and Vick?
They can. There's nothing preventing them from having 3 active. They just have the added bonus of declaring an 'emergency 3rd QB.' A guy who's technically not active but can be used in the case of an emergency. The reason they make the team not play the 1st and 2nd string guy if the 3rd goes into the game before the 4th quarter is so that teams can't abuse this extra roster spot.

Personally, I think the active/inactive game day roster rules are stupid and should be done away with. Everyone should be active on game day.

Brought in Mr. Hanie cause Sam Drucker was on IR and they cut Ebb before the start of the season

I wonder why this doesn't affect the Wildcat? I mean Ronnie Brown isn't the 2nd string QB for the Dolphins.

I wonder why this doesn't affect the Wildcat? I mean Ronnie Brown isn't the 2nd string QB for the Dolphins.

Why would that affect the wildcat? Ronnie Brown is a running back not a QB. It's a pretty simple rule. You get an extra bonus roster spot to use for an emergency QB. You can have as many active QBs as you want on your 45 man roster. However, if you bring in the emergency QB before the 4th quarter than you can't go back to any of the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart. It's to prevent teams from listing a DB or RB as the emergency QB with no intention of playing him as one, and using the spot just to get extra depth at another position.

They can. There's nothing preventing them from having 3 active. They just have the added bonus of declaring an 'emergency 3rd QB.' A guy who's technically not active but can be used in the case of an emergency. The reason they make the team not play the 1st and 2nd string guy if the 3rd goes into the game before the 4th quarter is so that teams can't abuse this extra roster spot.

Personally, I think the active/inactive game day roster rules are stupid and should be done away with. Everyone should be active on game day.
That's what I thought. Agree with everyone being active and I would also like to see them expand the roster too.

Latest posts