Story: Tony Perkins Heats Up in Hawkeye Win

I can't remember when I've seen an Iowa player take over a game like that, while scoring 22 over his average. There's being in the zone, and then there's being in the ZONE. Dude couldn't miss.

I can't remember when I've seen an Iowa player take over a game like that, while scoring 22 over his average. There's being in the zone, and then there's being in the ZONE. Dude couldn't miss.
Credit that to two things. First of all, he seemed to know where to go to get some space and get a decent shot up. Only one or two of his shots were "3's" - and the day would not have gone nearly as well had he tried to crank up a bunch of those. But a good shooter should easily be able to get hot from the places he was making them from.

The other factor was Iowa players calling out (apparently mostly to Fran) plays to keep calling for Tony that would involve the other four players working to get him open. And there was no reason that could not work, as I'm sure the Illini spent no practice time working on what they had to do to shut down Tony Perkins.

Still, a very good post. And who knows whether we will see something like that again. But to know it can be done, especially when February moves into March...

We've seen players on other teams do it to us enough times. That's how you win tough, close games.

I love the versatility of this team. If you are an opposing coach who do you tell your players to watch out for? Obviously you start with Kris who will drop 30 on you if you don’t watch it. You also better be aware of where Rebraca is or he’s going to tear you apart down low. Don’t sleep on Ulis. He has the ability to get 15 plus. By the way Perkins sometimes gets hot and takes over a game so we have to make sure we guard him and don’t let him get going. Connor is hitting the 3 this year so don’t back off of him like we did last year. Also we have to be aware of the Sandfort kid coming off the bench. He sometimes gets hot and takes over a game. When Dix comes in we need to make sure we don’t let him get open. He shoots the 3 ball very well. Also PMac is back and sometimes he is a force to be reckoned with.

Shot selection shot selection shot selection. He was able to get to his spots and took advantage. His teammates realized it and kind of took it upon themselves to feed him too. Just smart basketball. Hitting 15/16 FTs sure doesn't hurt either. Hats off to the guy. Most never get to have a day like that and it was fun watching him do it.

We have two guards who can play lock down defense, and efficiently score 20 points on any given night. When is the last time Iowa has been able to say that?

Guard play is critical in tourney play. I like the direction of things.

Latest posts