STORY: Looking Ahead to Big Ten Basketball's '20-21 Season, How Iowa Fits In

Obviously if Ayo and Cockburn stay in the draft, Illinois takes a steps back. Underwood is recruiting at a high level, so they won't fall back into the John Groce days, though.
Agreed. I just meant as far as next year goes they were looking like a top tier team with Ayo. Without him I’d put them back in that second tier at least.

Almost every team in the conference is losing or might lose all the reasons they were good this year. Wisconsin is the
My personal belief is that Wisconsin took advantage of a very advantageous B1G schedule this year. I think with a target on their back, and losing one of their shooters and a really good defender in Pritzl they could take a step back. They’ll be up there but they are going to be the type of team that can lose on a any night if their 3s aren’t falling.

As for Iowa I still maintain that it’s going to be very tough to win a league championship with defense as spotty as ours is, regardless of how elite we are on offense.

My personal belief is that Wisconsin took advantage of a very advantageous B1G schedule this year. I think with a target on their back, and losing one of their shooters and a really good defender in Pritzl they could take a step back. They’ll be up there but they are going to be the type of team that can lose on a any night if their 3s aren’t falling.

As for Iowa I still maintain that it’s going to be very tough to win a league championship with defense as spotty as ours is, regardless of how elite we are on offense.
I agree on Wisconsin. As far as Iowa goes, if Luka comes back, I think we are going to see a whole new level of team effort. He would be sacrificing a lot to come back for a championship run. The rest of the team will want to reward him with effort. That theory sounds good anyway, right?

I agree on Wisconsin. As far as Iowa goes, if Luka comes back, I think we are going to see a whole new level of team effort. He would be sacrificing a lot to come back for a championship run. The rest of the team will want to reward him with effort. That theory sounds good anyway, right?
2w4stw.jpg

I hate Purdue, but until we decide to play defense, I'm afraid they're going to continue to thrust their fist into our chest, pull out our beating heart, and show it to us....all the time, laughing in our face! :)

Om Namah Shivaya

maxresdefault.jpg

If Garza comes back, which sounds likely, then next year will be the most highly anticipated season since I think Recker and Evans' senior season. As it should be. Let's hope it turns out better than that.

That said, some of the projections I've seen of Iowa at 5-7 nationally feels high to me. Part of it is that I need to see this team consistently play good team D. If they can, then sure. Otherwise Top 15-20 feels closer to me. The Big Ten is difficult.

The 1986-87 team is the only Iowa team in my lifetime that was legit Top 10 material. No other team has reached those types of ratings... And stayed there through end of the year. Maybe the 92-93 team could have done it but we'll never know.

Will this year be different? I hope so.

If Garza comes back, which sounds likely, then next year will be the most highly anticipated season since I think Recker and Evans' senior season. As it should be. Let's hope it turns out better than that.

That said, some of the projections I've seen of Iowa at 5-7 nationally feels high to me. Part of it is that I need to see this team consistently play good team D. If they can, then sure. Otherwise Top 15-20 feels closer to me. The Big Ten is difficult.

The 1986-87 team is the only Iowa team in my lifetime that was legit Top 10 material. No other team has reached those types of ratings... And stayed there through end of the year. Maybe the 92-93 team could have done it but we'll never know.

Will this year be different? I hope so.
Agreed. Until this team proves they can play better defense I don’t think they can live up to that kind of hype.

It appears Michigan is going to be a turnstile with Juwan Howard at the helm.

Hoiberg is going to be pissed if someone gets more transfers than him.

I don’t think that’s really a sustainable way to build a program but maybe it will work out for him. If Livers returns they should be pretty formidable next year.

Hoiberg is going to be pissed if someone gets more transfers than him.

I don’t think that’s really a sustainable way to build a program but maybe it will work out for him. If Livers returns they should be pretty formidable next year.
It seemed to work pretty good for Eric Mussleman at Nevada.

Some coaches can thrive on transfers. Billy Tubbs thrived on JuCo transfers for over a decade at Oklahoma before the game caught up to him a bit.

Latest posts