STORY: Looking Ahead to Big Ten Basketball's '20-21 Season, How Iowa Fits In

When we started having these discussions during the year I said this. I think Iowa can be a contender but I do not think they have a legit chance to win this league without defense. In order to win a B1G championship you need to win on the road, and in order to win on the road (at a high enough %) you need defense. Defense travels as they say.

Iowa went 2-8 on the road in conference play this year with wins over 8-23 NW and 15-16 Minnesota. Two wins over teams with losing records.

I think Iowa is poised for a very good year if everyone returns and a very exciting team but I wouldn’t pick them to win the league given how poor their defense has been.

Now they can improve some on D for certain and I think they will. I think Joe T and Fredrick by virtue of going from Freshman to sophomores will improve. Topic for another conversation but Fredrick wasn’t near the defensive player he was hyped to be this year, but I do think he can be down the road. Garza you know is going to put in the work to keep improving on D. Wieskamp can get better with more strength and hopefully quickness.

So while the defense improves even if it improves close to thirty spots we’d still be near 70 in terms defensive efficiency. To me you can’t win the conference given that, regardless of how elite you are on offense.

One thing that really stood out to me in the article is how many of the commitmentds are coming from prep schools, academies or church related schools. That's the name of the game now I guess.

I did see a headline today, on twitter I think, that has us a pre season #9 in a way too early poll for next year.

Taking a peak at early NBA mock drafts, other than Xavier Tillman, doesn't everyone else come back? Given the current state that we are in, how do you improve your draft stock? I only single out Tillman because he is a grown up with kids.

There have been guys leaving early for the NBA who probably shouldn't for years. That's why I update this thing throughout the whole offseason. ;)

When we started having these discussions during the year I said this. I think Iowa can be a contender but I do not think they have a legit chance to win this league without defense. In order to win a B1G championship you need to win on the road, and in order to win on the road (at a high enough %) you need defense. Defense travels as they say.

Iowa went 2-8 on the road in conference play this year with wins over 8-23 NW and 15-16 Minnesota. Two wins over teams with losing records.

I think Iowa is poised for a very good year if everyone returns and a very exciting team but I wouldn’t pick them to win the league given how poor their defense has been.

Now they can improve some on D for certain and I think they will. I think Joe T and Fredrick by virtue of going from Freshman to sophomores will improve. Topic for another conversation but Fredrick wasn’t near the defensive player he was hyped to be this year, but I do think he can be down the road. Garza you know is going to put in the work to keep improving on D. Wieskamp can get better with more strength and hopefully quickness.

So while the defense improves even if it improves close to thirty spots we’d still be near 70 in terms defensive efficiency. To me you can’t win the conference given that, regardless of how elite you are on offense.

What were the defensive efficiency numbers before the Purdue road game? Low 80's? Under Fran Iowa will never be great defensively and I am okay with that. In my mind he understands how the game is played, by pushing pace and trying to increase the number of possessions. Imo, it unraveled Feb. 5th in West Layeffette, figure out why you went from the low 80's to the high 90's from that game on and next year could be very special.

What were the defensive efficiency numbers before the Purdue road game? Low 80's? Under Fran Iowa will never be great defensively and I am okay with that. In my mind he understands how the game is played, by pushing pace and trying to increase the number of possessions. Imo, it unraveled Feb. 5th in West Layeffette, figure out why you went from the low 80's to the high 90's from that game on and next year could be very special.
2015 we were 34 in adjusted defense. 2016 we were 30th. We are a far cry from that over the last three years.

I think Smith is gone from Maryland. So losing Smith and Cowan will be tough to overcome.

The linked article from 247 makes it seem as if Tillman is gone, which is something I recently speculated. MSU losing Winston and Tillman would be a massive hit.

I have a feeling both of Illinois guys return, leaving Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa as a potential top tier.

Caleb Wesson I think is gone at OSU and not sure if Carton returns. I see Michigan, MSU, Maryland, OSU, Purdue, Rutgers, and Indiana as tournament level teams. Minny depends on Oturu, and I’d lean that he goes. Penn State I don’t know, seemed like Stevens carried them.

Have to follow the departures and transfers as the offseason unfolds.

If JBo can and should increase the offensive efficiency and overall flow and spread of shooters on the court that can overcome some defensive lapses. If Nunge and Patrick can fill Kriener's and Pemsl's roles I think the hawks improve.

If JT can stay out of foul trouble and hold opposing point guards from penetrating and breaking down the hawk defense that will help and maybe Connor gets better at this.

Usually teams with really good or better man to man defenses win championships, except Boeheim's Syracuse teams.

Jon Rothstein has Iowa at #6 in his preseason rankings for next year. He’s always been pretty high on Fran and the Hawks.

I can already tell the expectations for Iowa are going to be through the roof if Luka comes back. That creates a different dynamic. I think the mental makeup of this group is strong and it will be challenged going from hunter to hunted.

I can already tell the expectations for Iowa are going to be through the roof if Luka comes back. That creates a different dynamic. I think the mental makeup of this group is strong and it will be challenged going from hunter to hunted.

Hope we don't perform like Iowa football does when the hype and expectations are that high.

If JBo can and should increase the offensive efficiency and overall flow and spread of shooters on the court that can overcome some defensive lapses. If Nunge and Patrick can fill Kriener's and Pemsl's roles I think the hawks improve.

If JT can stay out of foul trouble and hold opposing point guards from penetrating and breaking down the hawk defense that will help and maybe Connor gets better at this.

Usually teams with really good or better man to man defenses win championships, except Boeheim's Syracuse teams.
I think Joe T is a guy who could take a really big step forward next year. Had some great moments this year and seems to be a really hard worker.

As far as defense goes Iowa was forced to play zone on many occasions because they simply can’t defend pick and roll in man to man defense against most teams. I’m not sure I see that changing a whole lot next year.

I almost don’t want to be preseason favorites, as I think that will make it even more difficult (real or perceived).

A lot of it will end up coming down to B1G schedules. Wisconsin had a very manageable schedule this year which led them to the shared title.

Latest posts