Story: How Hawkeyes Match Up with Purdue from Recruiting Standpoint

I'm also gonna go out on a limb here and say Matt Painter has been more successful than Fran within the Big Ten (like not even close) and either and/or better and deeper runs than Fran when getting into the NCAA tourney the past let's say 6 seasons. Anyone look it up?! I have not....

I'm also gonna go out on a limb here and say Matt Painter has been more successful than Fran within the Big Ten (like not even close) and either and/or better and deeper runs than Fran when getting into the NCAA tourney the past let's say 6 seasons. Anyone look it up?! I have not....
I think it's somewhere in this thread...

Seriously????? Pick his worst year and dwell on that. Never mind he was very successful most seasons before that..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/matt-painter-1.html

Seriously? Painter was trending down ... yes, I admit he has done a great job of rebounding, but look at this

year 5 = 29 wins
year 6 = 26 wins
year 7 = 22 wins
year 8 = 16 wins
year 9 = 15 wins

That's 5 years of less wins than the previous year. Here's an article from 2014 about Painter on the hot seat. See if this sounds familiar.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/3/10/5492454/matt-painter-on-the-hot-seat

It is hard to believe we are at this point, just three seasons after he had a team ranked in the top 10 regularly for two straight seasons, but that is the nature of college basketball. It is especially true in the Big Ten, where every team is incredibly well coached and many teams have the same level of talent or better than our Boilermakers. Coach Painter is getting paid like a top coach and he has been one of the most successful coaches in this league. His 2014 recruiting class is his third straight that is rated in the top 20 nationally, making his roster next season the most talented top to bottom of his tenure. This season was also a major step back, and the youth at many positions cannot be used as an excuse any longer.

Actually, I take that back. This season was a disaster that will probably be put out of its misery some time Thursday afternoon by Ohio State. The Buckeyes are the only team in the Big Ten with an all-time winning record over Purdue and it is born out of a recent stretch where they have won 23 of the last 29 meetings. Since starting the season 13-5 and 3-2 in Big Ten play Purdue has gone a dismal 2-11 and has managed to look worse every week. It has lost in overtime on a last second shot. It has lost in double overtime. It has given up 70+points to one of the worst scoring teams in the nation in a loss. It has lost eight straight away from Mackey Arena and three in a row in Mackey. In the last three games Purdue has only looked good once: against Indiana.

There is no valid excuse for this team to look this bad. Purdue has nine players on the roster that were rated as a 4-star commit by at least one service, but it still got swept by Northwestern, which is embarrassing. It had more talent than half the league according to recruiting services and finished dead last.

Seriously? Painter was trending down ... yes, I admit he has done a great job of rebounding, but look at this

year 5 = 29 wins
year 6 = 26 wins
year 7 = 22 wins
year 8 = 16 wins
year 9 = 15 wins

That's 5 years of less wins than the previous year. Here's an article from 2014 about Painter on the hot seat. See if this sounds familiar.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/3/10/5492454/matt-painter-on-the-hot-seat

It is hard to believe we are at this point, just three seasons after he had a team ranked in the top 10 regularly for two straight seasons, but that is the nature of college basketball. It is especially true in the Big Ten, where every team is incredibly well coached and many teams have the same level of talent or better than our Boilermakers. Coach Painter is getting paid like a top coach and he has been one of the most successful coaches in this league. His 2014 recruiting class is his third straight that is rated in the top 20 nationally, making his roster next season the most talented top to bottom of his tenure. This season was also a major step back, and the youth at many positions cannot be used as an excuse any longer.

Actually, I take that back. This season was a disaster that will probably be put out of its misery some time Thursday afternoon by Ohio State. The Buckeyes are the only team in the Big Ten with an all-time winning record over Purdue and it is born out of a recent stretch where they have won 23 of the last 29 meetings. Since starting the season 13-5 and 3-2 in Big Ten play Purdue has gone a dismal 2-11 and has managed to look worse every week. It has lost in overtime on a last second shot. It has lost in double overtime. It has given up 70+points to one of the worst scoring teams in the nation in a loss. It has lost eight straight away from Mackey Arena and three in a row in Mackey. In the last three games Purdue has only looked good once: against Indiana.

There is no valid excuse for this team to look this bad. Purdue has nine players on the roster that were rated as a 4-star commit by at least one service, but it still got swept by Northwestern, which is embarrassing. It had more talent than half the league according to recruiting services and finished dead last.

I can see and agree with why this guy feels this way. For a long long time Purdue has been a basketball school with a history of high success. Not so much Iowa since Lute left (high success).

We have had marginal success a few times under Mr. Davis but no other coach has brought consistent results since. Maybe Fran has finally turned the corner. He had some good wins this year but also some ugly losses. I hope he keeps trending upward from this point. If everyone returns there is no reason we shouldn’t be as good next year if not even better. The real test will come in two years when next years seniors move on. If Fran can put together two solid seasons after this year then I think he will have passed through a threshold that will turn into a reload environment.

I certainly hope that happens for what true Hawkeye fan wouldn’t want that except for a few who will have to eat crow. I’ll eat crown in exchange for a yearly successful basketball program. I do have to be cautious and not over exuberant bout this past year as several sports writers have stated that Iowa has had one of, if not the easiest big ten schedules in the conference. Next season is expected to be much tougher. Let’s see what Fran can do with next years schedule. That will be huge as far as the true direction the program is taking.

I can see and agree with why this guy feels this way. For a long long time Purdue has been a basketball school with a history of high success. Not so much Iowa since Lute left (high success).

We have had marginal success a few times under Mr. Davis but no other coach has brought consistent results since. Maybe Fran has finally turned the corner. He had some good wins this year but also some ugly losses. I hope he keeps trending upward from this point. If everyone returns there is no reason we shouldn’t be as good next year if not even better. The real test will come in two years when next years seniors move on. If Fran can put together two solid seasons after this year then I think he will have passed through a threshold that will turn into a reload environment.

I certainly hope that happens for what true Hawkeye fan wouldn’t want that except for a few who will have to eat crow. I’ll eat crown in exchange for a yearly successful basketball program. I do have to be cautious and not over exuberant bout this past year as several sports writers have stated that Iowa has had one of, if not the easiest big ten schedules in the conference. Next season is expected to be much tougher. Let’s see what Fran can do with next years schedule. That will be huge as far as the true direction the program is taking.

I am not sure the corner has been turned here at Iowa either. I think next year with the combinations of veterans that are coming back (so far) and youngsters coming in, there is a chance for a good season. I agree another solid season will put the program on the road to success. However, not building on this season will be a downer IMO.

My point was, in most coaches' careers at a school, there comes a time to decide which way to go. At Purdue, which has a history of success as you mentioned, Painter trended down for 5 consecutive years and still was allowed to remain and turn it around. His earlier success helped shape that decision. Fran has not necessarily earned that cred, but he did trend up for 6 years (generally), took a 2 year downturn (as most point to bad recruiting classes), and seemed to turn the ship around. As you mentioned, let's see what Fran can do next season. :)

Latest posts