Story: How Hawkeyes Match Up with Purdue from Recruiting Standpoint

I'm surprised by the results prior to Painter. I didn't remember Purdue struggling so bad. Good job with the info. But you still gotta admit it's a hell of a lot easier to build at Purdue than it is Iowa. I thought I've heard somewhere that the state is pretty high up in producing D1 talent. Is that true?
Well, Jack Nunge was a Top 10 recruit in Indiana for the 2017 class if that tells us anything...

Also... I'm pretty sure the Purdue fans remember them struggling that bad.

They both had 2 NCAA appearances. One of those was an Elite 8 for Purdue. Every other statistic puts them on par with each other for the time period. Does a single Elite 8 appearance 6 years prior to Painter taking over really make that huge of a difference? o_O

I get it, you want to defend Fran so bad that you'll take the risk of convincing everybody on HN that you're delusional. I'm not saying Fran is a horrible coach; he's simply not in the same league as Painter. Please try to be more objective. :)
You keep changing the narrative to suit your point of view,I was under the impression we were discussing who had the easier starting point, not who’s the better coach at this point.like I stated earlier one team is still playing,sorry I got delusional and showed who had and still is the better overall program overall.can Fran keep the ship righted after a horrible season last year,only time will tell and thanks to barta he’s got plenty now so I guess I’ll keep supporting the hawks

Exactly. Painter in year 8 at Purdue was 16-18 (no tournament) and year 9 was 15-17 (no tournament). Then, he managed to turn it around (year 10 - 21-13 and NCAA Tournament and a 1st round loss to ... Cincinnati). There were many folks who wanted him gone in that stretch but the AD stuck with him.

Let's see what happens with Fran going forward.

Seriously????? Pick his worst year and dwell on that. Never mind he was very successful most seasons before that..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/matt-painter-1.html

You keep changing the narrative to suit your point of view,I was under the impression we were discussing who had the easier starting point, not who’s the better coach at this point.like I stated earlier one team is still playing,sorry I got delusional and showed who had and still is the better overall program overall.can Fran keep the ship righted after a horrible season last year,only time will tell and thanks to barta he’s got plenty now so I guess I’ll keep supporting the hawks
Are you intoxicated?

I’m surprised the overall numbers are as close as they are through 9 seasons for Paint/FM. PU is in a basketball state with many times the talent level of Iowa. I think I heard this year that PU now leads the B1G in total B1G regular season championships with 38. Painter came in his first year and won the B1G largely with a 5 man freshman class that included Robbie Hummel. You just can’t pull that off legally at Iowa.

The recruiting rankings may be similar but come on. Give the teams the eye test. PU has size and it’s not just height/length. Their guys are stacked. They have had MSU level strength. Beyond Kriener/Cook on Iowa’s Recent rosters, who is physically imposing like PU can be? RDM was imposing as a guard 5 years ago.

I want better. I’m frustrated w FM. But the B1G is just brutal. It’s harder when not in a place w advantages. Hoiberg is about to find that out. He will not win at NE the way he did at ISU.

First I’m delusional now I’m intoxicated, if that’s all you have left to make point,I guess the conversation is over have a good night
I asked that because your last post didn't make any sense. Maybe you can slow down next time so people can understand what you're trying to get across.

I asked that because your last post didn't make any sense. Maybe you can slow down next time so people can understand what you're trying to get across.
Now I’m also illiterate, the hits just keep coming sorry I got under your skin just trying to talk some basketball, I’m sure you’ll want to get in the last word, maybe something disparaging about my family upbringing

Now I’m also illiterate, the hits just keep coming sorry I got under your skin just trying to talk some basketball, I’m sure you’ll want to get in the last word, maybe something disparaging about my family upbringing
Listen, buddy. It's not my fault your sister abused you as a child. :(

This is a great thread! Thanks to tksirius for compiling the details. The 'first 9 years' of Painter/McCaffery is an interesting comparison. Considering that Iowa's program had fallen much farther than Purdue's when each coach took over, the difference is less than I expected. I do remember thinking at Painter's 8-9 year point that 'he's gone'. If Fran can put together a 2-4 year run of consecutive NCAA tourney teams (including this year) going forward, I think the pressure will be off him. Just 1 or 2 Sweet 16s and he can retire here. Assuming, of course, he can learn to control his temper better than most middle school kids.
Many of my Hawk friends don’t like Fran. Period. They would tolerate him with more NCAA success. But they just don’t like him.

His temper doesn’t bother me. I like most of his interviews. And I think he’s doing a decent job. Several of us have posted comparisons to Davis. They are comparable coaches...just different personalities.

Yeah. When all is said and done the entire university has been trying to keep the basketball team from being successful for decades. Some guys will make excuses for anything. You’re that guy.
It's not an excuse. It's a fact. If you knew more about it, you'd know more facts. After all, I didn't send invent "Win, graduate, do it the right way". Unless you think I did. There are guys that are stupid enough to believe anything. Are you that guy?

It's not an excuse. It's a fact. If you knew more about it, you'd know more facts. After all, I didn't send invent "Win, graduate, do it the right way". Unless you think I did. There are guys that are stupid enough to believe anything. Are you that guy?

So facts are facts when you use them as excuses, but facts are excuses when I do?

So facts are facts when you use them as excuses, but facts are excuses when I do?
You offered an OPINION that the Iowa basketball program was worse of than Purdue's...when the actual factual records said otherwise. When Fran took over - 4 BIG wins. When Painter took over - 3 BIG wins. You don't seem to grasp the definition of the word FACT.

I appreciate the delicate line you walked here Rob, but if the classes are technically similar as evaluated by the various rating services, doesn't it come down to coaching? As best I can see, that is the strongest variable out there that is not accounted for.
Abso-&*^%$*#-lutely!

Latest posts