Story: A New Era on Horizon for Hawkeye Basketball

Good take. With the transfer option...I'd look for a solid 6' 5" guard that can move, guard, and penetrate. Don't need posts.

A couple of people in other threads have said to prepare for mass transfers this off-season.

Can't see it. My guess is that Fran was straight with our underclassmen reserves, which in itself is commendable, and they knew the situation going into the season. My guess is that he will be just as straight with them in post season exit interviews.

Maybe someone leaves. But it wouldn't be because Fran wasn't honest with them. If anything, I think the opposite is what causes many players to transfer.

Athletes like Patrick and the twins, along with guys like JW are the future.
Very impressed with Patrick after Nunge went down. He is way better than his older brother, and better than what I saw of him in high school.

With no Garza to feed in the post any longer, I wouldn't mind seeing Patrick get his brother's starting spot.

Sleeper of the program? Kris Murray.

Reminds me very much of the day after the 1989 Hawks lost a double OT game to NC State.
(Ironically, after beating Rutgers in the first round)

Marble, Armstrong, Horton...all seniors. Gone.

Truly an end of a spectacular (if under-achieving) 3-year era.

Iowa needs a defensive stopper about 6'6 or so but Perkins might fit the bill. A natural ball handler would be great but pg's are hard to find. Ulis might work out for that. Kris will be huge especially if he has the shooting and guard skills they say he has. If CJ and Wiesy come back we have basically a more balanced team than last year. I'm seeing more T/O's but a very fast team that could really give teams fits on the press. No doom and gloom from me, unless there is a mass exit. I doubt that anyone leaves because of playing time, they will all play. The need at back up center will exist unless the young Englishman can get himself into the shape needed to play at the D1 level. If he does he plays the role that Nunge did this year. Spelling him and playing D. The real key is Joe T playing under control or Ulis pushing him for the job. A lot depends on Joe W if we have a need for shooters. The kid coming in has a reputation as a shooter.

Iowa needs a defensive stopper about 6'6 or so but Perkins might fit the bill. A natural ball handler would be great but pg's are hard to find. Ulis might work out for that. Kris will be huge especially if he has the shooting and guard skills they say he has. If CJ and Wiesy come back we have basically a more balanced team than last year. I'm seeing more T/O's but a very fast team that could really give teams fits on the press. No doom and gloom from me, unless there is a mass exit. I doubt that anyone leaves because of playing time, they will all play. The need at back up center will exist unless the young Englishman can get himself into the shape needed to play at the D1 level. If he does he plays the role that Nunge did this year. Spelling him and playing D. The real key is Joe T playing under control or Ulis pushing him for the job. A lot depends on Joe W if we have a need for shooters. The kid coming in has a reputation as a shooter.
I'm not sure, but Keegan M. might be able to handle the 5. Yes, he needs to put on some muscle, but his defense [IMHO] is just as good, if not better than Luka's.
Connor McC's presence is just a mystery. His damn near 4 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio is unprecedented and almost historic. But he's no help on offense if 2 or 3 teammates can't throw the ball into the ocean on any given day.

Good take. With the transfer option...I'd look for a solid 6' 5" guard that can move, guard, and penetrate. Don't need posts.

There are some big post players in the Big 10 so it might be nice to have another big body to put around the basket.

It is interesting and a lot of these mid-majors are upsetting teams without having the big guy but instead like Oregon a lot of speed quickness and just good players

Reminds me very much of the day after the 1989 Hawks lost a double OT game to NC State.
(Ironically, after beating Rutgers in the first round)

Marble, Armstrong, Horton...all seniors. Gone.

Truly an end of a spectacular (if under-achieving) 3-year era.

Well those guys got to an Elite game game and one basket from a final four.

I think that 1989 team had the really really good freshman Ray Thompson who was big, smooth, but also an academic bust when Iowa had really high grade standards (maybe the same standards now or maybe they have been lowered a bit).

Nice review of the players. I thought at the midpoint of this year that this was one of Fran's best, deepest benches. The cupboard is not bare if Nunge comes back healthy and especially if JoeW and CJ are both there hitting jumpers.

By the way, I can't remember why Kris Murray didnt play as much. Was he just not as ready as Keegan or was PMac just ahead of him?

Nice review of the players. I thought at the midpoint of this year that this was one of Fran's best, deepest benches. The cupboard is not bare if Nunge comes back healthy and especially if JoeW and CJ are both there hitting jumpers.

By the way, I can't remember why Kris Murray didnt play as much. Was he just not as ready as Keegan or was PMac just ahead of him?
Just not enough minutes to go around. Kris will be on the court next year a lot I have a feeling. The Murrays are gonna be thunder and lightning in 2 years.

Latest posts