Storming the field?

Especially since its artificial turf it will get messssssy

Maybe they want the fans to keep off the field so they don't step in the dog dump. The UI's draconian overreaction (or whoever is responsible for
"security" of the stadium, because goodness knows, fans on the field is a top priority security threat) has now created 2 issues when before there were none.

oh really? Like who, and what did they say exactly? Cuz it seems really strange that a 18-22 year old kid would complain about people rushing the field after a big win (which is one of the great traditions of college football).

I've known and interacted with dozens of current and former Hawks (bball and football) in the 15 years I've lived in IC. I've never come across one that "enjoys" it when the fans rush the field. Some are indifferent, but most would rather just get off the field safely. More than a few mentioned there were concerned for their own safety or recalled incidences in which they were just trying to get to the locker room and had to plow through fans who were jumping on them and pounding their shoulder pads not caring/realizing the players had injuries which were aggravated by this.

I've also had more than one say they've had to throw or shove people out of the way to get to where they are going.

The reality is, out of everything that could happen with hundreds or thousands of fans on the field after a game virtually all of them are bad.

Iowa was decent in that stretch. That included the timmy d and tavian teams.

They never beat any of the top teams at home.

94 and 98 teams were terrible.

In 95 PSU rolled us.

In 96 Northwestern (when they were good) won 40-13.

In 96 top ranked OSU beat us 38-26.

There were basically no huge wins at Kinnick during that era.

Last edited:
oh really? Like who, and what did they say exactly? Cuz it seems really strange that a 18-22 year old kid would complain about people rushing the field after a big win (which is one of the great traditions of college football).
I've known and interacted with dozens of current and former Hawks (bball and football) in the 15 years I've lived in IC. I've never come across one that "enjoys" it when the fans rush the field. Some are indifferent, but most would rather just get off the field safely. More than a few mentioned there were concerned for their own safety or recalled incidences in which they were just trying to get to the locker room and had to plow through fans who were jumping on them and pounding their shoulder pads not caring/realizing the players had injuries which were aggravated by this.I've also had more than one say they've had to throw or shove people out of the way to get to where they are going.The reality is, out of everything that could happen with hundreds or thousands of fans on the field after a game virtually all of them are bad.

I call total bs on this. at least the players point of view. have you ever been apart of a team when the crowd has rushed the field. its an amazing feeling to know that what you just accomplished is recognised and that it is a big deal. I find it really really hard to believe and almost impossible to believe that after a huge win that players are concerned about getting back to the locker room right away.

its a great tradition and shows players and recruits how much we care about this program and its players.

Really? For storming the field?

It was indeed disappointing Saturday to see people being grabbed, laid down on the turf and handcuffed for rushing the field like dangerous criminals These were middle age, celebrating, Hawkeye fans who did not appear drunk or unruly. Security even had dogs! The sea of people approaching the field headed back to the stands after witnessing security quickly making examples out of a few. Really, do they have to put them on the ground and empty their pockets? Weren't there recruits at the game? Has anyone seen signs on the bottom row stating that if you cross the rail out of accidental excitement you will be arrested? I haven't and I guess I'm getting tired of their crack down attitude on fans coming to Kinnick to just enjoy a football Saturday. It's like they want you to show up with wallets wide open, sit down, shut up and then quietly go home after the game is over. Oh yes, and make sure your check is in the mail for next season tickets please. Arrest the few problem people but let fans be fans!

Thank God we didnt. Good teams dont storm the field after every victory against a ranked team

Good teams also don't lose to the Golden Gophers. You are delusional if you refuse to celebrate a win because you want to act like you've been there before.

Last time I checked, the players have celebrated right along with the fans on the field.

As long as we are anecdotally saying "players don't like it," then I will join the other side by saying that the quoted material is what I have observed as well. The players look anything but frightened/concerned when amidst the sea of fandom.

I would really like to know what Jon thinks on this matter. also itd be interesting to know what happend to the people who rushed the field after they got handcuffd and searched, did they get a huge fine or did they get let loose. Did that guy at the Indiana game really influence the crack down. that happened inbetween the 3rd and 4th qrtr, people rushing the field against michigan did it because it was a huge emotional win, which hawk fans have been doing this for years. One guy cant really be the cause for how strict the cops are now.

Latest posts