Stormin--Impressions on Brust

rockbreaker

I know you have a bit of a rapport with Ben. It had appeared to me that Iowa had a good chance of picking him back up. How do you think this latest incident affects Iowa's chances?

I am sure the spank will chime in....i would give it a ZERO chance. Time to move on, Brust and Larson are not Hawkeyes and will not be going forward.

what "Incident"?

Quick version:

1) Players were granted release from Iowa
2) Numerous other big 10 schools showed interest
3) The players and families were unaware that a rule is in place that they would have to pay their own way to go to another big 10 school, even after Iowa released them from the LOIs---they were allegedly not happy with Iowa.
4) The "rule" is not an Iowa rule, rather a big 10 conf. rule
5) This lack of communication between Barta and the Brust/Larson families has allegedly led to some unhappy feelings.

The ship has sailed....so be it.

Quick version:

1) Players were granted release from Iowa
2) Numerous other big 10 schools showed interest
3) The players and families were unaware that a rule is in place that they would have to pay their own way to go to another big 10 school, even after Iowa released them from the LOIs---they were allegedly not happy with Iowa.
4) The "rule" is not an Iowa rule, rather a big 10 conf. rule
5) This lack of communication between Barta and the Brust/Larson families has allegedly led to some unhappy feelings.

The ship has sailed....so be it.

You forgot:
6) The other big ten institutions that were recruiting him conveniently forgot to tell him of the rule also.

Soo, let me get this straight: It is Iowa's job to fully inform a recruit wanting out of his LOI of all of his options and the consequences for each potential option. I have known about that rule for a while, and it isn't that big a secret. That this would give them something to be ****** at IOWA about is astounding! Perhaps we should provide academic planning for students at their new institutions as well...as a sign that there were no hard feelings. Perhaps we should go ahead and pick up the scholarships of Larson and Brust wherever they end up as a consolation. Give me a break! They were allowed to break their LOI and the university was gracious in doing so, and it sounds, from all accounts, like FM was a class act about the entire business. That it was never discussed "well, what if I want to go to OSU or Wisconsin" isn't any fault of the coaches and the university. If they want to play it that way, it is a them problem, and goes to their character.

Almost sounds as if they're using this rule as an easy excuse to totally write Iowa off...so be it, the MVC's a decent conference.

Oh crap...does UNI have schollies to play with???

I am thinking a couple of spoiled brats. So if they go somewhere and the coach gets fired after the first year...are they going to quit again? Man up guys and honor your loi as you will be stars at iowa

What I don't understand is why were other Big 10 coachs recruiting them? They didn't know the transfer rules either or maybe they weren't recruiting them? Just message board gossip

Personally I don't think the ship has sailed as some of you have implied. I can see why he would be upset if he thinks he was misled. (Not saying he was misled for those of you that might jump on this statement). However, Brust seems like a pretty level headed kid. While it may sour him on Iowa initially, my guess is he doesn't hold it against Coach McCaffery. In the long run, if his relationship is best with Coach Caff, then not choosing Iowa over this would be cutting off his nose to spite his face. He seems more logical than that.

What I do not understand is what they are mad at Iowa about. Would they not have asked to be let our of their LOI if they knew the rules? Is Iowa not going to reoffer a scholarship? What can they really be mad about?

What I do not understand is what they are mad at Iowa about. Would they not have asked to be let our of their LOI if they knew the rules? Is Iowa not going to reoffer a scholarship? What can they really be mad about?

Maybe they just wanted to be mad again!?!?

:D

Long and short of it, it look much better for Iowa to regain Brust's re-commit a week ago than now. However, there's still time... Ben is going to be making a decision soon. Besides going to DePaul (not saying he would), Iowa is going to be one of the closest schools to Chicago, something that his family likes.

Overall, there was just a ton of miscommunication when this all went down. I think getting information and getting "good" information has been an issue with the release/recruitment over the past month or so.

Again, I'm not giving up hope that Ben ends up at Iowa. He is a huge Hawkeye fan, so that will linger in his mind.

Who knows, they could even just end up footing the bill at another Big Ten school.

We'll know soon one way or another.

I am glad to here that you at least think Iowa has a chance Stormin. I was really looking forward to this kid playing for the Hawks.

Long and short of it, it look much better for Iowa to regain Brust's re-commit a week ago than now. However, there's still time... Ben is going to be making a decision soon. Besides going to DePaul (not saying he would), Iowa is going to be one of the closest schools to Chicago, something that his family likes.

Overall, there was just a ton of miscommunication when this all went down. I think getting information and getting "good" information has been an issue with the release/recruitment over the past month or so.

Again, I'm not giving up hope that Ben ends up at Iowa. He is a huge Hawkeye fan, so that will linger in his mind.

Who knows, they could even just end up footing the bill at another Big Ten school.

We'll know soon one way or another.

He gone.

This whole misunderstanding and supposed anger makes no sense.

How can you be mad about something now that was no different than the day they signed their letters of intent, whenever that was. The minute they signed those LOIs, they could not accept a scholarship from another BT school. So maybe they should be mad at Lickliter as well for not telling them so back then.

How can they honestly answer the question - If I had known about this rule, I wouldn't have asked for my release? There's no logic to their supposed anger. If their answer would be - I wouldn't have asked for my release, then re-commit. If their answer would be - it wouldn't have made any difference, then go on. They seem to want it both ways, but it's not possible. Therefore, their anger is misplaced and contrived.

If they want to come to Iowa, fine, if they don't, fine.

As far as the other BT schools, do we know they were contemplating scholarship offers, or simply "recruiting" them to come to the school, without any discussion of scholarships?

I think its totally nuts to think that Cody Larson or Ben Brust would be "happier" with Iowa IF Fran sat across from either of them when they asked for their release and he said, "Oh, by the way, you won't be able to get a scholarship at another Big Ten School..."

Iowa is the fall guy here because the news isn't good news re: attending another Big Ten school on scholarship. Its not that different from the "does this shirt make me look fat" question...

Latest posts