Stoops wants sons to go to Iowa....

if they end up playing football. Good article, shows how he still has a special place for Iowa in his heart! Sorry if this was posted already. Go Hawks!

~ Viva Los Hawkeyes!

Stoops: I don’t want to coach my sons | OU Sports

That's interesting. I like the part where he said he doesn't know where he'll be. I see him coaching at Iowa when KF leaves. I really do. Now as far as sons, KF has done it twice, but I'm sure it's a little different with QB than OL.

That's interesting. I like the part where he said he doesn't know where he'll be. I see him coaching at Iowa when KF leaves. I really do. Now as far as sons, KF has done it twice, but I'm sure it's a little different with QB than OL.

Stoops is only 5 years younger than Ferentz. I guess if Kirk gets out of his contract early to go to the NFL (which I don't think will happen), maybe Stoops would come here. However, if Ferentz coaches here till 2020, I doubt we would go for Stoops.

If Ferentz ever left Iowa for the NFL, he'd be out of his friggin' mind. He has Iowa by the balls with $3+ million a year through like 2017. Win or lose a game, he can sleep well at night. Iowa's mentality is "just get to a bowl game" no matter what bowl it is ... and we should have no problem doing that. In the NFL, you screw up, make the wrong decision at coordinator or have some bonehead incompetent QB (like most teams), you're done in 3-5 years. The odds would be against him. Stay at Iowa and hopefully get a Rose Bowl (and a Rose Bowl win for cryin' out loud) and he'll ride off into the sunset possibly with a greater legacy than Hayden Fry (not saying it will happen, but it could).

Yeah, ask Dan and Cody Hawkins how well that works. It ain't intramurals.

Unless his sons are 4 or 5 star caliber recruits, I can see why he would rather they go to another school to have a better shot at playing time. Good to see he thinks so highly of Iowa though.

Unless his sons are 4 or 5 star caliber recruits, I can see why he would rather they go to another school to have a better shot at playing time. Good to see he thinks so highly of Iowa though.

He said even if they were the best recruits in the country, he'd rather they go play for Mike at Arizona or go to Iowa. He just seems REALLY uncomfortable with the idea of coaching them.

I can see QB being the most uncomfortable position to coach your son at, but other positions make sense. It seems to have worked well for Ferentz at Iowa

I can see QB being the most uncomfortable position to coach your son at, but other positions make sense. It seems to have worked well for Ferentz at Iowa

I'd imagine that any offensive skill position would be extremely difficult. OL is relatively easy, because those guys are practically annonymous. But skill players get a lot of attention anyway, without the added fact that they're the coach's kid.

he is under enough scrutiny at OK with such high expectations and if he adds the drama of playing his sons on his team, then that adds more distractions from fans/alumn/regents etc about favoritism, human interest articles about coaching sons, etc. It is just safer for a coach at any level over junior high or a smaller high school to opt for his sons to not play for him.

Yea, coaching your son as a QB is much different. So much attention is on the QB & when things go wrong, you know what happens. You can't hide your QB so much, but you can hide O-lineman.

That ship sailed long ago. Never happen.

Great article. Bob Stoops is a loyal man. Once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye. Stating that even if his kids are the top recruits in the country, he wants his kids to come to IOWA. He shows us the great respect he has for the Hawkeyes obviously believes we are an elite program that deserves top recruits. You Stay Classy Bob!

His twin boys are 11, 7 years from now Ferentz will be 62, BS will be 57, both guys could very likely still be coaching. Ferentz youngest would be in college at that time. Bet money Mike will be long gone from Arizona and B.Stoops will be coaching the Dallas Cowboys.:D

So what I'm saying is there is a good chance his kids could be hawks.

Latest posts