Stokes & Carter

hawkIhoops

Carter has been mentioned more often in recent weeks, but he has quite a few solid offers. Stokes, per Rivals, only has offers from Iowa, TCU and UNLV and visited TCU this past weekend. Obviously biased here, but I would think playing in the big ten would trump playing in the Mountain Worst, especially for TCU. UNLV has a solid program, good fanbase and the Rebel mystique.

Any intel out there on whether or not we are in the running for Stokes? Not many kids on the "offered" list that haven't commtted, but there is always more going on behind the scenes. ( I hope)

TCU and UNLV both have a pretty big upside compared to Iowa at this point, with TCU moving to the Big East and UNLV having lot's of history coupled with the appeal of being in Las Vegas.

I think the players that Fran brings in for 2011 are not going to be names we're hearing the most at this point.

TCU will be in the Big East next year, or in 2 years. That's a pretty solid conference too.

Yes, that is a solid conference. What has TCU done in the Mountain West in basketball that would make anyone think they'll be anything other than a doormat in the Big East? Is it the 1-15 conference record this year or the losing records in all but 1 season in the last decade?

Yes, that is a solid conference. What has TCU done in the Mountain West in basketball that would make anyone think they'll be anything other than a doormat in the Big East? Is it the 1-15 conference record this year or the losing records in all but 1 season in the last decade?

exactly.

Obviously that doesn't matter to him. Im guessing what matters more is playing many games out East where his family can watch him more often.

door mat in B10 v. door mat in Big East. Play closer to home? I'd say it's even, and if you don't think more recruits could come to TCU now that they will be in the big east, perhaps.

Bingo. TCU at least had a chance in the Mountain West to maybe do something once in a while. They have no hope in the Big East. TCU is going to compete with UConn, Pitt, Villanova, Marquette, ND, Georgetown, Louisville, St. John's, etc.? :p

door mat in B10 v. door mat in Big East. Play closer to home? I'd say it's even, and if you don't think more recruits could come to TCU now that they will be in the big east, perhaps.

We weren't the doormat of the B1G but we were close enough to the door mat being one away from the bottom. That said, we will never be that close again under coach McCaffery. Never. I will wager anyone on that, and I am not a gambling man.

I forgot about the big east move, but still, have you seen a TCU home game? You can hear cell phones going off over TV the place is so empty. To play 1-2 games per year close to home doesn't seem like a good trade off for playing 16 in front 3,000 fans in a cattle barn of an arena. TCU is the definition of a football school, thus the move to big east. They should fare well on the gridirion, but will get destroyed in hoops.

He's from New York with is not far from UCONN, St Johns, Rutgers, Providence, Seton Hall, Pitt, Gtown... etc. I bet his parents and friends will travel the short trips often.

When talking about playing close to home, you realize that Big East teams only play three opponents twice a year, don't you. That doesn't translate into away games at all of those places every year.

Last edited:

I can't believe I have to defend Iowa basketball compared to TCU to a supposed Iowa fan.

TCU has made the tournament once in the last two decades, has 5 tournament wins all time with no sweet sixteen appearances.

So you're absolutely right, Iowa and TCU are pretty similar programs:rolleyes:

You could play for a team that would have every game they play (pretty much) on TV around the world with the Big Ten Network. The Big East doesn't have that.

I agree that going to TCU is silly, but I'm just making a point as to why he might be looking at them. Also is he still set to visit Iowa?

I can't believe I have to defend Iowa basketball compared to TCU to a supposed Iowa fan.

TCU has made the tournament once in the last two decades, has 5 tournament wins all time with no sweet sixteen appearances.

So you're absolutely right, Iowa and TCU are pretty similar programs:rolleyes:

In basketball recruiting, 'what have you done for me lately' plays a big role.

The Duke's, UNC's, KU's, UConn's, etc of the world will always be near the top.

But, for everyone else, like Iowa and TCU, recent history plays a role. The last time Iowa was a VERY relevant team in the national championship hunt was in 1987. None of the recruits Iowa is talking to know that. TCU? Cannot remember when they were ever relevant in hoops.

And, honestly, Iowa and TCU (on paper) are very similar. In fact, the Horned Frogs have actually won more games than Iowa in the last four seasons combined (aka the amount of seasons played during current HS senior scholastic careers)

In basketball recruiting, 'what have you done for me lately' plays a big role.

The Duke's, UNC's, KU's, UConn's, etc of the world will always be near the top.

But, for everyone else, like Iowa and TCU, recent history plays a role. The last time Iowa was a VERY relevant team in the national championship hunt was in 1987. None of the recruits Iowa is talking to know that. TCU? Cannot remember when they were ever relevant in hoops.

And, honestly, Iowa and TCU (on paper) are very similar. In fact, the Horned Frogs have actually won more games than Iowa in the last four seasons combined (aka the amount of seasons played during current HS senior scholastic careers)

What have you done for me lately? You realize TCU went 1-15 THIS YEAR in the Mountain West right? 5-11 in 2009/10. 5-11 2008/9, and 6-10 in 2007/8 in the Mountain West. Apparantly I can't stress that enough considering you thought it was a good idea to compare Iowa and TCU's overall records when one team plays in the Big 10 and the other plays in the Mountain West.

If I'm a recruit and I have to choose between a program who has made multiple NCAA tournament appearances in the last decade in a major conference or a program that has a hard time finishing above .500 in a mediocre at best mid-major conference that will be moving to one of the best major conferences, it's really not that hard of a decision.

Latest posts