STEVEN PEARL

ICHAWK

OK, I have seen too many stupid post's trying to compare John Lickliter to Steven Pearl.

Steven Pearl is 6'5 232 pounds

Here is his high school bio:

Led the U.S. to a gold medal at the 2006 Maccabi Games in Sydney, Australia ... An all-state and All-PrepXtra selection by the Knoxville News Sentinel ... Averaged 21.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists as a senior at West High School ... Shot 49 percent from the field in his final prep season ... Helped lead Nicolet High School in Milwaukee, Wis., to three conference championships ... Coached by Gary Petko at West HS.

He is heads and toes above John Lickliter on the talent scale.

PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE THE TWO PLAYERS ANYMORE.... I AM TIRED OF READING DUMB POST'S ABOUT BRUCE PLAYING HIS SON.

First of all, nobody was making a comparison in talent. They were merely making a comparison of the situations. Both coaches were forced to play there sons based on circumstances surrounding losing players. How much time was Pearl getting before the three players were kicked of the team???

OK, I have seen too many stupid post's trying to compare John Lickliter to Steven Pearl.

Steven Pearl is 6'5 232 pounds

Here is his high school bio:

Led the U.S. to a gold medal at the 2006 Maccabi Games in Sydney, Australia ... An all-state and All-PrepXtra selection by the Knoxville News Sentinel ... Averaged 21.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists as a senior at West High School ... Shot 49 percent from the field in his final prep season ... Helped lead Nicolet High School in Milwaukee, Wis., to three conference championships ... Coached by Gary Petko at West HS.

He is heads and toes above John Lickliter on the talent scale.

PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE THE TWO PLAYERS ANYMORE.... I AM TIRED OF READING DUMB POST'S ABOUT BRUCE PLAYING HIS SON.
I never compared the players. I compared the situations. Steven Pearl played a total of 21 minutes through the first 13 games of the season. There were 6 games where he did not play at all. He started averaging over 10 minutes a game starting with the Kansas game through their last game. Circumstances changed and they needed him to play more. That is all that I pointed out. Since Tennessee is winning, no one is saying he is taking a spot from someone else who should be playing or that he is playing too many minutes. Would he have been on the team if his dad was not the coach?

I never compared the players. I compared the situations. Steven Pearl played a total of 21 minutes through the first 13 games of the season. There were 6 games where he did not play at all. He started averaging over 10 minutes a game starting with the Kansas game through their last game. Circumstances changed and they needed him to play more. That is all that I pointed out. Since Tennessee is winning, no one is saying he is taking a spot from someone else who should be playing or that he is playing too many minutes. Would he have been on the team if his dad was not the coach?

What, Read his high school bio.... He appears to have been a pretty darn good player. Look I have no idea how many teams offered him a scholly out of high school.

He however appears to be WAY more qualified to play than John Lickliter.

Look I don't care that John plays 5 minutes a game. Iowa is not that good so those 5 minutes are meaningless anyway.

However I would have to say Steven Pearl appears to be WAY, WAY more qualified to play than John Lickliter.

If you don't understand that concept I don't know what to say.

The situation is not really the same.

What, Read his high school bio.... He appears to have been a pretty darn good player. Look I have no idea how many teams offered him a scholly out of high school.

Look I don't care that John plays 5 minutes a game. Iowa is not that good so those 5 minutes are meaningless anyway.

However I would have to say Steven Pearl appears to be WAY, WAY more qualified to play than John Lickliter.

Again, either you are not reading the post entirely or you are missing the point. N O B O D Y said that John was better than Steven they were just comparing the situations. Stephen W O U L D N O T be playing had three players not been suspended. He is playing out of N E C E S S I T Y ! ! ! Just like John Lickliter!!!

Last edited:

I don't deny that Steven Pearl may have been more qualified and a better player than John L. I mentioned his stats and HS qualifications in my first post about him. That's not the point. He wasn't playing much at all until the circumstances changed. It appears Pearl has been a contributor in some games as well. That is a good thing for Tennessee.

I was comparing the situations of the teams and how an unexpected event changed the team and how (and who) it plays. Since Tennessee is winning and Steven Pearl seems to be helping, I don't think there is an outcry from the fan base that is was favoritism. Maybe Pearl would have played more anyway, but his playing time jumped right when Tyler Smith was suspended and then booted.

Again, either you are not reading the post entirely or you are missing the point. N O B O D Y said that John was better than Steven they were just comparing the situations. Stephen W O U L D N O T be playing had three players not been suspended. He is playing out of N E C E S S I T Y ! ! ! Just like John Lickliter!!!

Necessity? I think we have more than 4 players on the team so we don't need him to make 5.

Again, either you are not reading the post entirely or you are missing the point. N O B O D Y said that John was better than Steven they were just comparing the situations. Stephen W O U L D N O T be playing had three players not been suspended. He is playing out of N E C E S S I T Y ! ! !

I have just felt I have seen some stances that appear like people are stating because one team plays a walk on it shows it's OK for Iowa to do this.

The degree in the talent level between walk on's is night and day. That is my point.

Look I don't mind John getting 3-5 minutes a game MAX.

However I do agree with others that John does not have to play at all if Cully goes to the bench. Matt can dribble the ball up the court just as well as John if not better if a team actually chooses to press.

So in theory John does not need to come in at PG.

Do you get that point? I am not mad John is in but you can also spin it by saying there is zero reason John needs to play.

1. Gatens PG
2. Bawinkle
3. May
4. Fuller
5. Cole

There that line up would be fine too.

So, who else on the team plays PG when Payne sits?

All the point guard has to do is dribble the ball into the front court. Is it always necessary that a player with PG next to their name in the program be on the court? So in answer to your question. Anyone that can dribble.

Cougs can dribble. So can Wink. Would that be OK with you? I think there may be slightly more responsibility in playing the PG than dribbling. I may be wrong, but I have been before.

So, who else on the team plays PG when Payne sits?

See my post. Matt Gatens could bring the ball up the court. What is funny is Gatens is not a great ball handler but he is a better ball handler than John Lickliter especially when a team chooses to slap a press on.

I think people are too locked into positions. I see the offense as a 3 guard offense where all three perimiter players should be able to handle the ball/penetrate.

John really doesn't have to spell Cully. Just because John is short does not mean he is a PG.

Matt Gatens should be able to run the offense and bring the ball up the court. Hell he does it sometimes even when Cully is in the game.

See my post. Matt Gatens could bring the ball up the court. What is funny is Gatens is not a great ball handler but he is a better ball handler than John Lickliter especially when a team chooses to slap a press on.

I think people are too locked into positions. I see the offense as a 3 guard offense where all three perimiter players should be able to handle the ball/penetrate.

John really doesn't have to spell Cully. Just because John is short does not mean he is a PG.

Matt Gatens should be able to run the offense and bring the ball up the court. Hell he does it sometimes even when Cully is in the game.
I wouldn't mind seeing if this would work. My biggest criticism of Coach L is the lack of flexibility. It may work, but there may be a reason they don't want to do this.

Cougs can dribble. So can Wink. Would that be OK with you? I think there may be slightly more responsibility in playing the PG than dribbling. I may be wrong, but I have been before.

Do you watch the games? Matt Gatens a few times this year has brought the ball up the court and started the offense WHEN CULLY PAYNE WAS IN THE GAME!

So just slide everyone down and have Matt at PG if Cully needs a break.

Look I don't care that John plays 3-5 minutes but it is absolutely ridiculos for people to not understand that there is no reason that John has to play at all. You don't have to have PG by your name in the program to play point.

Bawinkle can't dribble at all. I would rather have John Lickliter handling the ball than him.

Sorry, Matt Gatens is not a better ball handler than John Lickliter. John actually handles and passes the ball pretty well!

Sorry, Matt Gatens is not a better ball handler than John Lickliter. John actually handles and passes the ball pretty well!

Just wow. wow. you can be done posting now or you should edit that before everyone sees it. You just went negative in the credibility department.

Do you watch the games? Matt Gatens a few times this year has brought the ball up the court and started the offense WHEN CULLY PAYNE WAS IN THE GAME!

So just slide everyone down and have Matt at PG if Cully needs a break.

Look I don't care that John plays 3-5 minutes but it is absolutely ridiculos for people to not understand that there is no reason that John has to play at all. You don't have to have PG by your name in the program to play point.

Bawinkle can't dribble at all. I would rather have John Lickliter handling the ball than him.
I watch the games. Gatens does this after missed shots when Payne is not in position to get the ball or is closely guarded, no doubt about it. However, you do know it's a bit different than being the guy to bring it up after made shots when there is man pressure or a zone press, right? It's also a bit unfair to have someone play PG who doesn't practice there on a regular basis. I would agree that maybe someone else should be practicing at PG in case something happens.

By the way, did you watch the MSU-Illinois game where their 3rd string PG played because Lucas was hurt? They tried Chris Allen as well as Lucious at the PG for most of the game, but they were tired and ineffective at some times in the game, so Izzo brought in the walk on. It happens to many teams, even the best in the conference.

Maybe you should do the same when you put up posts that say "all the point guard has to do is bring the ball up court"

Please enlighten me as to what else is absolutely necessary to play point guard. That someone else on the team can not perform the same function.

Just wow. wow. you can be done posting now or you should edit that before everyone sees it. You just went negative in the credibility department.

I will firmly stand by my statement and take it a step further when I say he is the best ball handler on the team. Does not make him a good player or a big 10 player for that matter, but he clearly is the best ball handler. Don't let your desire for Todd Lickliter to be let go as coach cloud your judgement!!!