Steve Alford

people don't understand the hate for Alford... it's not really hits mediocrity as b-ball coach.

It's the fact that he is one of the most high and mighty, spoiled d-bags in the history of coaching.

I predicted he would make a final 4 in his first 5 years at UCLA. He's succeeded at every stop.

Granted he's lacked success in the NCAA tourney but I think he will be able to get more talent than ever at UCLA and I'm sure each year of tourney experience is one to learn from.

I also have them in the round of 16. I was surprised how well he did with UCLA. Thought it would be a World Class Disaster.

Instead he wins the Pac 12 Championship beating Arizona, and his son is a player. Passes well and has a good three......

:rolleyes:

It's the fact that he is one of the most high and mighty, spoiled d-bags in the history of coaching.
And his sticky, too. That attitude stayed with Iowa Fandom. I mean, have you read some of the posters on this site?

No wait, that's why Mr. Davis was let to.

So maybe that's why Alford was hired ... a perfect match with the vocal high and mighty fanbase.

Todd Lickliter nurtured an established Horizon league power for a few years, that actually went to another level after he left. Missouri State didn't make much noise before or after Alford's tenure.

I'll agree that the hate is deeper than wins and losses. My bigger point, however, is that Alford appears to be a pretty decent basketball coach that didn't have great success here. I'll leave open what, if anything, should be drawn from that.

Alford is a good coach and an even better game coach. Alford is a also a more accomplished coach than Fran. Posters want to keep going down this road and bringing up the past and can't move on, hey more power to them.

I predicted he would make a final 4 in his first 5 years at UCLA. He's succeeded at every stop.

Granted he's lacked success in the NCAA tourney but I think he will be able to get more talent than ever at UCLA and I'm sure each year of tourney experience is one to learn from.

I have them in the sweet 16 this year.
I can think of an exception.

Alford is a good coach and an even better game coach. Alford is a also a more accomplished coach than Fran. Posters want to keep going down this road and bringing up the past and can't move on, hey more power to them.

Alford was average as a Iowa coach... this entire thread has become bizarre beyond belief...

That's not why people don't like Alford.

I know so many people that have dealt with him in real life.

He is a grade A piece of S**** If you had any knowledge of this guy in reality trust me you wouldn't be even remotely defending him.

i can't agree with this at all. i think his history of ncaa fails proves this out.

Alford was average as a Iowa coach... this entire thread has become bizarre beyond belief...

That's not why people don't like Alford.

I know so many people that have dealt with him in real life.

He is a grade A piece of S**** If you had any knowledge of this guy in reality trust me you wouldn't be even remotely defending him.

That may very well be the case but the results speak for themselves and in my opinion he's proven himself as a darn good coach.

61-67 at Iowa conference record.... 1-3 in the NCAA... 1-3 in the NIT at Iowa.

That's darn good?

I don't have or want to put the time and energy for the debate and looking up his stats...

But I know he's taken 4 teams to the dance. Won the Big ten tourney, PAC 12 tourney.

I'm willing to bet his overall record has a pretty high winning percentage.

I acknowledged earlier in this thread he hasn't had success in the big dance.

But it seems you want to pull out a few select stats to make your case.

I don't have or want to put the time and energy for the debate and looking up his stats...

But I know he's taken 4 teams to the dance. Won the Big ten tourney, PAC 12 tourney.

You could post whatever stats you want - there is nothing there to show how great he is... he is average plain and simple.

And in the end I only care what he did at Iowa- and 85% of the people I know don't have fond memories of him.

The majority of his overall record has been built up in weak conferences. Alford isn't a terrible major conference coach, but he's not anything special, either.

Latest posts