Step Back From The Ledge

You knew because you thought it too. But you feel being an optimist makes you a “real” fan.
No, I can deal with a loss without reverting to weak, tired narratives.

Just say Iowa choked and move on. Or that we left our legs in Indianapolis. Or that we were overconfident. Don't start with the "we know our place", "little Ole Iowa", "it's who we are", ad nauseum. Its bullshit.

NO SHIT. THAT IS WHY WE ARE ON THE LEDGE. IT HAS BEEN THIRTY FUCKING FIVE YEARS BINCE WE HAVE HAD A TEAM THAT LOOKED LIKE IT BELONGED ON A NATIONAL STAGE. I WAS AT THE 25TH REUNION OF THE '87 TEAM AT AN IOWA GAME AND THAT WAS ALREADY TEN GOD DAMNED YEARS AGO.

I KNOW IOWA ISN'T GOING TO BE DUKE, BUT JUST FUCKING ONCE, JUST ONCE I WANT TO BE THAT OLD LADY FROM LOYOLA WATCHING THE TEAM I'VE CHEERED FOR MY WHOLE FUCKING LIFE BE ON THE BIG STAGE AND NOT SENT HOME LIKE SOME FUCKING CHUDS AT THE HANDS OF SOME SHIT ASS PROGRAM LIKE NORTHWESTERN STATE OR FUCKING RICHMOND. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? IS IT?

SORRY FOR CUSSING SO MUCH.
Man you must have really been pissed after the early Mr. Davis team lost that big halftime lead against UNLV and barely missed out on the final four. I know back then I took all the loses pretty bad. Now I slightly expect the crap to happen like I did today (see my posts earlier this week saying the only thing keeping Iowa from winning was a shitty shooting game) (plus they played worse defense today also)

Man you must have really been pissed after the early Mr. Davis team lost that big halftime lead against UNLV and barely missed out on the final four. I know back then I took all the loses pretty bad. Now I slightly expect the crap to happen like I did today (see my posts earlier this week saying the only thing keeping Iowa from winning was a shitty shooting game) (plus they played worse defense today also)
I remember crying as a young teenager when Iowa pooped that UNLV game down their legs.

I’m off the ledge. Can’t be so invested in Hawkeye sports. I’m 42. In basketball and football, each time they have a chance to do something special they don’t fail to disappoint. Save for the Orange Bowl. ‘06 and ‘22 B1G tournament titles are forever tarnished. It’sjust who Iowa is and always will be. Been that way my whole life.
Only 42, oh you missed the 1968 Coach Miller Sam Willilams led hawk Bball team play poorly at home to barely lose to Michigan to give up an outright Big 10 title, lose to Ohio St a few days later in a one game playoff to be the ONLY Big team to go to the NCAA's.

Then just 2 years later watch that great 1970 team play really well but have a crappy tip in by one of Jacksonville's giants knock them out of the Final Four. And Lute had his NCAA woes and early exits and big losses with Big titles on the line.

It has been a long journey and I have been wounded many times which is why today was just a disappointment and nothing else.

Dude, it's been like 35 years!! Fran's been at Iowa like 12 years. I don't think the fans are asking for too much! Seriously, do you?

And remember the hawks were a top team a lot from 1956 to 1970 and then from the late 1970s through most of Mr. Davis's time into the early 2000's. Not every year but most years. Alford had a couple really good teams, Lick no, Fran has had a few really good teams but he needs to vary his offense and defense or something in the NCAAs because it is not working

No, I can deal with a loss without reverting to weak, tired narratives.

Just say Iowa choked and move on. Or that we left our legs in Indianapolis. Or that we were overconfident. Don't start with the "we know our place", "little Ole Iowa", "it's who we are", ad nauseum. Its bullshit.

Or we were like Little Neno in Slumberland

The entire game

Last edited:
I've never come close to crying for an Iowa loss until today. I think its the 35 year thing...I was a believer. Should have known better.

My biggest "bawling as an adult over Iowa" was when I attended the 2015 B1G champ game in Indy.

I was a 3rd year student at Iowa when Iowa went to the final four. So, I've had that experience.

But once, just once in my lifetime, I wanted Iowa in the football playoffs.

Unfortunately this loss goes into the memory bank with the Louisville breaking Ronnie lester and causing us to not win a NC. And that collapse against Unlv that cost us a NC. And now, not even a dramatic loss in the 1st round by a team that should have gone way farther.

Top 3 losses.

Lol Fran did an amazing coaching job this year. Most of you we’re swinging from this team’s nut sack last week and saying Fran should be COY. Iowa will be good at basketball next year and for the foreseeable future. That’s going to be hard for a lot of you to deal with but I promise as Iowa fans we’ll all get through all the tournaments and All American’s and NBA players together guys.

Lol Fran did an amazing coaching job this year. Most of you we’re swinging from this team’s nut sack last week and saying Fran should be COY. Iowa will be good at basketball next year and for the foreseeable future. That’s going to be hard for a lot of you to deal with but I promise as Iowa fans we’ll all get through all the tournaments and All American’s and NBA players together guys.
I agree InGoodCo that they should be in contention again next year for an NCCA invite. Without Keegan, I would put them probably 7-12 seed.

With Keegan 4-8 seed.

But, I will say, recruiting could have been much better with a significant run. Hopefully we can get Koch's kid. I hear he is pretty good.

I agree InGoodCo that they should be in contention again next year for an NCCA invite. Without Keegan, I would put them probably 7-12 seed.

But, I will say, recruiting could have been much better with a significant run. Hopefully we can get Koch's kid. I hear he is pretty good.
I think it’s already done that, these recruits are a by product of the success he’s had from about 2015 on and it continues to grow. He’s playing with a much better caliber of athlete and player (think Ogelsby vs Sandfort or Jok/Moss vs Perkins or Uthoff vs Murray, Luka vs Woody etc) then he was recruiting 6 years ago. We’ve now had a NPOY 3 straight years and some serious highs in big spotlights. Give it a bit. Fran is recruiting some gems from the east coast. Things aren’t going to get worse, it’s only going to get better. Pryce Sandfort could very well commit. Lil Weezy and baby Fran still coming up. Iowa is gonna be good at basketball for a while my dudes, enjoy it. It sucks that March is what it is, one and done. Anything can happen, not like the NBA / but Iowa is spitting out good players and has been for a while. They’ll be top half of the conference next season. I’m going to enjoy that and continue to watch the program elevate. We have a better program now than 5 years ago imo and that’s at least some sort of progress for me. I certainly don’t want that to go away

Last edited:
Only 42, oh you missed the 1968 Coach Miller Sam Willilams led hawk Bball team play poorly at home to barely lose to Michigan to give up an outright Big 10 title, lose to Ohio St a few days later in a one game playoff to be the ONLY Big team to go to the NCAA's.

Then just 2 years later watch that great 1970 team play really well but have a crappy tip in by one of Jacksonville's giants knock them out of the Final Four. And Lute had his NCAA woes and early exits and big losses with Big titles on the line.

It has been a long journey and I have been wounded many times which is why today was just a disappointment and nothing else.
Pembroke Burrows III

My biggest "bawling as an adult over Iowa" was when I attended the 2015 B1G champ game in Indy.

I was a 3rd year student at Iowa when Iowa went to the final four. So, I've had that experience.

But once, just once in my lifetime, I wanted Iowa in the football playoffs.
Neither of those things (CFP, FF) is ever gonna happen. Easier if you just accept it.