Stellar year for Hawk stats

How in the hell did Bohannon never have 10 boards in his 37 year career just out of sheer random luck?

One would think in over 1,000 games played he'd have had one wild game where he grabbed 10 rebounds for whatever reason against Upper Northwest Pouhkeepsie State CC.
Umm, there's a few reasons. Small, slow, weak, away from the basket, defensively weak, not aggressive defensively. That's all I have.

Another interesting stat that is about to pop up is having 3 active players in the 1000-point club at the same time. Payton Sandfort is sitting at 990 and chances are Sunday against the Illini he will join the club. This doesn't happen very often.

Several years ago, it was the DM Register I think, wrote an article on this subject and how rare it is. I don't remember all the details, but it went something like this. Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong and Ed Horton might have been the first time it happened.

Were Luka, Joe W and JBo all in the club at the same time? Maybe so and this might have been when the article was written.

I've been wracking my feeble brain trying to remember if there were any other times? If so, maybe others can help with this. There have been plenty of times when there have been two active players but not three.

So, when Payton joins, let's enjoy it. I'm guessing all three won't be with the team next year so it could be a very short window where we have this rare phenomenon.
How about Hoerner, Brunner, Haluska? Perhaps Adam didn't get there til his final year after the other two graduated.

Another interesting stat that is about to pop up is having 3 active players in the 1000-point club at the same time. Payton Sandfort is sitting at 990 and chances are Sunday against the Illini he will join the club. This doesn't happen very often.

Several years ago, it was the DM Register I think, wrote an article on this subject and how rare it is. I don't remember all the details, but it went something like this. Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong and Ed Horton might have been the first time it happened.

Were Luka, Joe W and JBo all in the club at the same time? Maybe so and this might have been when the article was written.

I've been wracking my feeble brain trying to remember if there were any other times? If so, maybe others can help with this. There have been plenty of times when there have been two active players but not three.

So, when Payton joins, let's enjoy it. I'm guessing all three won't be with the team next year so it could be a very short window where we have this rare phenomenon.
Where do you think Py will not be on the team next season? He's not going anywhere until he's pretty confident he's a first-round pick. That jump into the first round would probably require numbers more like Keegan Murray. I'm thinking Py is going to be like a 22/8/5. Love to see Py explode in the next few games and go into next season with some national attention and AA conversation.​

Where do you think Py will not be on the team next season? He's not going anywhere until he's pretty confident he's a first-round pick. That jump into the first round would probably require numbers more like Keegan Murray. I'm thinking Py is going to be like a 22/8/5. Love to see Py explode in the next few games and go into next season with some national attention and AA conversation.​

I am assuming PY, assume you mean Payton, is coming back. I agree with you that he would be well served coming back for a stellar senior season.

He has greatly improved his game this year and has been coming along like gangbusters in recent weeks, hence his first triple double. He seems more relaxed in his shooting and that shows in his game. But he also has improved his D, rebounding, passing, leadership, everything really. So, what if he goes to the NBA combine and he's told his game is ready. I believe he has NBA potential and when you can shoot like him you've got a shot. In this day and age in college athletics, no telling what might happen. That's all I'm saying.

Acie was close to a (non-traditional) triple-double several times. His highest block game was 9 and got 8 5 times. He also had 9 steals in a game.

Connor was the closest I could find to being close to a triple double multiple times. He had 7-7-13, 17-10-5, 8-8-9.

I thought of Keegan, but his high assist game was 4, which he did once. I thought of Andre Woolridge but couldn't find any single game stats.

Of course several years from now, if I was brainstorming for triple-double guys, I probably wouldn't think of Payton, so I'm sure there are guys I'm not thinking of or someone that could've had the potential to have that random game where it all came together.
Yeah Keegan wasn't much of a distributer they didn't work through him like that even though he's always been capable of passing. Woolridge woulda been my guess he or Gamble. But that senior yr of Wooldridges he was pretty close to a one man team it seemed like when he lead league in pts and assists. Guy Rucker was like our #2 guy that yr and he was a true freshman. I figured Andre woulda been close to getting triple doubles too but he must not have been

It almost has to be a midsize peremiter player, right? At least if you are using RBs, assists, and points. Big guys aren't going to get 10 assists and a true point like Woolridge or BJ aint gonna get 10 boards.

The other think about CC is that she plays more minutes than just about any college player I can remember. She is more like a forward point position wise as she is a very tall PG and so she usually plans a bigger gal on D so she is under the hoop for defensive rebounds.

Jokic would like a word. Then again, Jokic is probably more of a unicorn than Caitlin Clark.

Woolridge seems like the kind of player who could occasionally pull down double-digit boards. I played against him a few times at the FH back in the day, he seemed like a good dude. Acie Earl would occasionally drop in and play, as well, but he would never venture inside the 3-pt line. I suppose it wouldn't be much fun for him to just dunk on little dudes' heads left and right.

Both the Iowa men's and women's programs lend themselves to great statistical accomplishments as they both play up-tempo with lots of possessions per game. Iowa has had great players across both of those programs, but the stat-friendly style has certainly helped the women win 6 of the last 7 POY awards (I am counting CC's inevitable award for this year). The only one this missed in that stretch was Clark's freshman year, and she probably should have won it.

The men have also had a great run of POY and 1st team All-B1G under McCafferey.

Where do you think Py will not be on the team next season? He's not going anywhere until he's pretty confident he's a first-round pick. That jump into the firstwith two outstanding round would probably require numbers more like Keegan Murray. I'm thinking Py is going to be like a 22/8/5. Love to see Py explode in the next few games and go into next season with some national attention and AA conversation.​

Peyton most likely wants to play with Pryce

Looks like a deadly team of snipers next season

Dix, Payton, Pryce and the freshman, Cooper Koch all launching from beyond the arc with an improved Freeman and Trajo in the front court,
things look quite promising next season

This rebuilding year has become a pleasant surprise

Last edited:

Dix, Payton, Pryce and the freshman, Cooper Koch all launching from beyond the arc with an improved Freeman and Trajo in the front court,

You got that right, Duke. I think the men’s team was not followed by many of the HN posters. Game threads were slim. I am convinced they missed a really interesting year with some outstanding play, and, of course, some big disappointments. I was at every home game, which gives you a real look at the team not always seen on tv. As a fan, I am not just focused on wins or tourney placements. I just love watching college basketball. BTW, Illinois lost to Purdue at Illinois tonight. Good game. But only on Pisscock. I did watch it. If we can beat Illinois, this team will again finish in the conference above expectations. Go Hawks!

I'll throw one out that is a bit obscure, but his game was always doing the little things - Bill Jones.

He was the kind of player that probably came close a few times to 10-10-10. Nothing dynamic, but a solid all-around type of player that was surrounded by scorers.

I'll throw one out that is a bit obscure, but his game was always doing the little things - Bill Jones.

He was the kind of player that probably came close a few times to 10-10-10. Nothing dynamic, but a solid all-around type of player that was surrounded by scorers.

Are you referring to Clarence William Bill Jones

They went to the Dance 4 years in a row With Bill Jones

He played for a while with the New Jersey Nets

:cool:

It won't happen, but if Fran somehow gets this team full of youngesters and average Joe's into the tourney, he should at least be in the convo for COY. This has been one of his best coaching jobs of his career, IMHO. The fact that we are on the bubble and folks on this board are excited is amazing, and I will be fine if we host a game or two at Carver for the NIT.

Next year, two things I have heard consistently.

Perk is likely to be back. He is not good enough for the NBA and likely just under the radar such that a Blue Blood won't write him a big check to transfer. He is guaranteed to start at Iowa, loves the team, and is likely to run it back.

A lot of people who know BB are penciling Koch in as a starter next season. He has a mature game and might be a plug and play starter who can score in a lot of ways.

If both of these things are true, what a luxury to be able to bring guys like Harding and Pryce S. off the bench. Hopefully, Fran can also find one quality forward in the portal to provide depth. This team has the potential to be very good next season. Ending this year strong would be a great way to kick that off.

I like the way McCaffery plays his bench for extended period of the first half each game. I cussed it earlier in the year where it may have cost us a game or 3 but it has paid off for the long run. Making the most of what we have, player development, and even defensive improvement is noticeable this year. Could be McCaffery's best coaching year at Iowa.

I like the way McCaffery plays his bench for extended period of the first half each game. I cussed it earlier in the year where it may have cost us a game or 3 but it has paid off for the long run. Making the most of what we have, player development, and even defensive improvement is noticeable this year. Could be McCaffery's best coaching year at Iowa.
I get your point, but I don't see why he has to play all four bench guys at once. That cost us a big lead in the first half against NW.

I bet Ryan Bowen got close to a few 5x5s. Those are even rarer than triple doubles, only 22 in NBA history (Hakeem has 6 of those, AK47 the only other player with multiple at 3)

Latest posts