Stellar year for Hawk stats

Seth53

A year to remember for sure.
Enjoy it folks. May be awhile before all the planets align like this again.....

1st triple double ever
(I've been watching/listening to Iowa BB since around 1970...to think of all the great players in those 54 years...this is truly monumental)

Krikke reaches #2000 career points
PMac reaches #1000 career points
Freeman sets freshman block record, surpassing Acie Earl
And if I'm correct, Freeman is close to the # of Iowa FR POW record as well.

Then of course there's CC......

Patrick became like only the 58th player in Iowa history to score 1000 points but it's likely cause Dad was just playing him even when there were better options.

Considering how much time Pat has missed over those 4 years, 1000 is pretty impressive.

How in the hell did Bohannon never have 10 boards in his 37 year career just out of sheer random luck?

One would think in over 1,000 games played he'd have had one wild game where he grabbed 10 rebounds for whatever reason against Upper Northwest Pouhkeepsie State CC.

Just looked, Bohannon had 7 rebounds in a game twice. Once against Minnesota and once against Indiana. Both in 2021.

My head scratcher is the younger Marble. Kid could score, dish and was tall enough to get boards. His dad was a candidate there too I guess.

CC gets triple doubles every other week. The men get one a century. Mindboggling.

So happy for Sanford.

My head scratcher is the younger Marble. Kid could score, dish and was tall enough to get boards. His dad was a candidate there too I guess.

CC gets triple doubles every other week. The men get one a century. Mindboggling.

So happy for Sanford.
He was the first one I thought of on guys who could have gotten one.

Just looked, Bohannon had 7 rebounds in a game twice. Once against Minnesota and once against Indiana. Both in 2021.
The sheer luck of getting 10 rebounds on a night where you also get 10 assists for a guy like Bohannon is really slim. I know you're joking but it really shows how tough a triple double is. It's rare to have a player that even has a chance to get one. Let alone someone like Clark who gets them all the time.

The CC phenomenon vs. the men reflect two facts. First-CC is really unparalleled in the history of WBB. Most of the credit goes to CC's simple greatness.

However, MBB has had much more athletic parity for a much longer period of time. Notwithstanding, I am shocked that Roy or Dev Marble, Big Bru or maybe Horner, or Acie never did it.

Acie was close to a (non-traditional) triple-double several times. His highest block game was 9 and got 8 5 times. He also had 9 steals in a game.

Connor was the closest I could find to being close to a triple double multiple times. He had 7-7-13, 17-10-5, 8-8-9.

I thought of Keegan, but his high assist game was 4, which he did once. I thought of Andre Woolridge but couldn't find any single game stats.

Of course several years from now, if I was brainstorming for triple-double guys, I probably wouldn't think of Payton, so I'm sure there are guys I'm not thinking of or someone that could've had the potential to have that random game where it all came together.

It almost has to be a midsize peremiter player, right? At least if you are using RBs, assists, and points. Big guys aren't going to get 10 assists and a true point like Woolridge or BJ aint gonna get 10 boards.

The other think about CC is that she plays more minutes than just about any college player I can remember. She is more like a forward point position wise as she is a very tall PG and so she usually plans a bigger gal on D so she is under the hoop for defensive rebounds.

The other think about CC is that she plays more minutes than just about any college player I can remember.
I was thinking about this with the Tom Davis era. I don't remember for sure, but I think with the substitution patterns, guys may not have played a lot of minutes. Lickliter's guys on the other hand... ;)

Acie was close to a (non-traditional) triple-double several times. His highest block game was 9 and got 8 5 times. He also had 9 steals in a game.

Connor was the closest I could find to being close to a triple double multiple times. He had 7-7-13, 17-10-5, 8-8-9.

I thought of Keegan, but his high assist game was 4, which he did once. I thought of Andre Woolridge but couldn't find any single game stats.

Of course several years from now, if I was brainstorming for triple-double guys, I probably wouldn't think of Payton, so I'm sure there are guys I'm not thinking of or someone that could've had the potential to have that random game where it all came together.
How perfectly "Connor" would it have been for him to get 10 rebounds and assists but fall short in the points category?

The most amazing thing about Sandfort's triple double is that he needed that 10th board and didn't look like he would get it. Then with 0.3 seconds left on a missed free throw, he does get it. That missed free throw then had to bounce just right but that is exactly what happened.

Another interesting stat that is about to pop up is having 3 active players in the 1000-point club at the same time. Payton Sandfort is sitting at 990 and chances are Sunday against the Illini he will join the club. This doesn't happen very often.

Several years ago, it was the DM Register I think, wrote an article on this subject and how rare it is. I don't remember all the details, but it went something like this. Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong and Ed Horton might have been the first time it happened.

Were Luka, Joe W and JBo all in the club at the same time? Maybe so and this might have been when the article was written.

I've been wracking my feeble brain trying to remember if there were any other times? If so, maybe others can help with this. There have been plenty of times when there have been two active players but not three.

So, when Payton joins, let's enjoy it. I'm guessing all three won't be with the team next year so it could be a very short window where we have this rare phenomenon.

Another interesting stat that is about to pop up is having 3 active players in the 1000-point club at the same time. Payton Sandfort is sitting at 990 and chances are Sunday against the Illini he will join the club. This doesn't happen very often.

Several years ago, it was the DM Register I think, wrote an article on this subject and how rare it is. I don't remember all the details, but it went something like this. Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong and Ed Horton might have been the first time it happened.

Were Luka, Joe W and JBo all in the club at the same time? Maybe so and this might have been when the article was written.

I've been wracking my feeble brain trying to remember if there were any other times? If so, maybe others can help with this. There have been plenty of times when there have been two active players but not three.

So, when Payton joins, let's enjoy it. I'm guessing all three won't be with the team next year so it could be a very short window where we have this rare phenomenon.
I was thinking of the Marble, White, Utoff, Jok days but they were all a year apart so a sophomore would have had to get it which is unlikely. As I type this, I think of Gatens, Marble and White. White would have been the best chance to get it as a sophomore because he was good as a freshman. I bet he was just short tho.

Patrick became like only the 58th player in Iowa history to score 1000 points.

I believe the announcer said when PMac hit that free throw to get to 1000 that he was the 53rd player in the club. Payton will be the 54th.

Latest posts