State of Michigan State Basketball

WinOneThisCentury

I was bored as hell last night, so I rewatched the MSU game from Saturday. What the hell happened to MSU's recruiting prowess. Langford and Henry are the real deal...really good players...but I wouldn't say either can really carry a team on their own. We complain about Bohannon's defense...but MSU's Loyer is a huge, huge step down from Bohannon at both ends of the floor. I know Watts was sick, but where are the 5 star recruits?

Name one big they have that you would take over Nunge, or Murray (a freshman)...and if Frederick was healthy...neither of those guys are starters? I mean, they got Hauser via transfer and all their bigs are not what I would call offensive threats. It's kind of shocking to be honest. Brown appears to be a potential upper tier player...but he's been really inconsistent.

It's weird to look at that roster and compare it to the past 15 to 20 years where they annually have strong, physical bigs who wear you down and have offensive skills. Their guards have ALWAYS worn us out and where typically, their athleticism just kills us.

Don't get me wrong...I've really enjoyed watching them...it's just different.

Iowa fans have been pointing at MSU's PG play for years with envy and for the most part, they are correct, but look at who's he's rolling out there right now? I can't help but think of Lil Lick every single time I watch them play.

I was bored as hell last night, so I rewatched the MSU game from Saturday. What the hell happened to MSU's recruiting prowess. Langford and Henry are the real deal...really good players...but I wouldn't say either can really carry a team on their own. We complain about Bohannon's defense...but MSU's Loyer is a huge, huge step down from Bohannon at both ends of the floor. I know Watts was sick, but where are the 5 star recruits?

Name one big they have that you would take over Nunge, or Murray (a freshman)...and if Frederick was healthy...neither of those guys are starters? I mean, they got Hauser via transfer and all their bigs are not what I would call offensive threats. It's kind of shocking to be honest. Brown appears to be a potential upper tier player...but he's been really inconsistent.

It's weird to look at that roster and compare it to the past 15 to 20 years where they annually have strong, physical bigs who wear you down and have offensive skills. Their guards have ALWAYS worn us out and where typically, their athleticism just kills us.

Don't get me wrong...I've really enjoyed watching them...it's just different.
What’s happened to all of the big boys? NC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and others are all well below historical standards. One of Duke’s star recruits just quit.

What’s happened to all of the big boys? NC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and others are all well below historical standards. One of Duke’s star recruits just quit.
What's weird is how it happened overnight. Aren't their rosters generally 4 and 5 stars from top to bottom?

I've been wondering this most of the year. If this class of 4-5 stars just aren't that elite or if it has anything to do with not having crowds. All of those home games are much easier for teams coming into play them this year with no crowds. I think a combination of both and like seeing it.

For the blue bloods, recruiting the 4 and 5 star studs has become a true "two-edged" sword. They come in as freshmen, play 1 or 2 years, and then off to the pros.

There is no continuity in a program when that happens. It is like you are a hamster on a wheel, always working to find new recruits. It destroyed Iowa State....there best players all left the program.

My honest opinion is they're dependent on blue chip freshmen that struggled to develop due to Covid. It's the perfect storm that opened the doors for teams with experienced upperclassmen and high retention levels.

I honestly feel Izzo and many of the coaches of some of these blue blood teams are "punting" this year. I mean they are playing the games but I don't know if they are all into it. Maybe because they don't have all the ingredients they want for their teams but sees like they just want to play game for experience. Like Izzo looked completely defeated.

They and the other teams will be back. Izzo is missing a couple type players, though, that they usually have on roster.

I am starting to wonder if this year is an anomaly or we are seeing the beginning of a seismic shift in college basketball. It may mean nothing more than Gonzaga, Villanova and Virginia are becoming the new blue bloods or can it mean we are heading toward the p-word(parity). I am rooting for the latter.

Duke, Carolina and MSU may be down for the count. With no successor to replace the aging, legendary coach, they can easily end up being just another middle-of-the pack p6 program. Kansas and Kentucky have the "younger" coaches, but how stable are they really?

What's weird is how it happened overnight. Aren't their rosters generally 4 and 5 stars from top to bottom?
Not so weird when you look at all the one-and-dones they recruit. You miss on one of them, your fall-back is recruited by someone else and the next thing you know you've got a good team but not a great team.

I am starting to wonder if this year is an anomaly or we are seeing the beginning of a seismic shift in college basketball. It may mean nothing more than Gonzaga, Villanova and Virginia are becoming the new blue bloods or can it mean we are heading toward the p-word(parity). I am rooting for the latter.

Duke, Carolina and MSU may be down for the count. With no successor to replace the aging, legendary coach, they can easily end up being just another middle-of-the pack p6 program. Kansas and Kentucky have the "younger" coaches, but how stable are they really?
Bill Self, Kansas - 58
John Calipari, Kentucky - 62
Mike Krzyzewski, Duke - 74
Roy Williams, North Carolina - 70
Tom Izzo, Michigan State - 66
Mark Few, Gonzaga - 58
Jay Wright, Villanova - 59
Tony Bennett, Virginia (the youngest) - 51

Are they really that much "younger"? And what about Fran - 61?

And in my own defense, I'm younger than three of these guys.

Bill Self, Kansas - 58
Mark Few, Gonzaga - 58

lol, I am only a minute or 2 younger than you are. I don't know what to tell you. I can give you the cliche bullshit like: "60 is the new 50", "Fran is a young 61" . Unlike college football...I think we are heading toward parity in college basketball. Not going to complain because I am a Iowa fan and it makes Final Four(s) and National Championship(s) realistic to root for.

Bill Self, Kansas - 58
Mark Few, Gonzaga - 58

My oh my how the years have flown.

I remember Caipari being that young whipper snapper who nearly had UMASS in the final four and was getting into confrontations with other coaches at post game pressers.

Another name to add to the list, though he no longer coaches a blue blood.

Rick Pitino, 66.

Latest posts