Starting to believe Fran about Oglesby

golfingwags

When he has space the kid can flat out shoot the ball.....

His 2nd half today alone makes me excited for next year.

He's just still getting used to the speed of the game at the B10 level. When teams have big leads they let up a bit and the game slows down a little and you can see his true shooting ability. The potential is there, and he will get used to the speed of play as he gets more experience.

Ya I remember seeing him do it a couple times this year. Light it up when its pretty much over. Its a mental thing, theres no pressure.

Overall he did step it up these last few games. He can play, hopefully we see more of it next year consistently throughout games.

He's just still getting used to the speed of the game at the B10 level. When teams have big leads they let up a bit and the game slows down a little and you can see his true shooting ability. The potential is there, and he will get used to the speed of play as he gets more experience.

This. And even on a lot of his misses this year, they're in and out. That suggests he has a very good stroke, and is just barely off on those shots. Once he gains more confidence in his shot, he could be an elite shooter in the conference. Perhaps not elite player, but I do like his passing ability an awful lot. Pretty good court vision.

I am just trying to be positive about something today.

I understand that both games he scored 20ish in were blowouts and we didn't have a great chance...but I would rather him score 20 on 5-6 3 pt shooting than 8 on 1-6 3 pt shooting in those games when the opportunities are there.

He IS a freshman and will hopefully it will translate into more the next 3 years.

This. And even on a lot of his misses this year, they're in and out. That suggests he has a very good stroke, and is just barely off on those shots. Once he gains more confidence in his shot, he could be an elite shooter in the conference. Perhaps not elite player, but I do like his passing ability an awful lot. Pretty good court vision.

I noticed his passing to. This makes me excited for next year. I know some of ya'll don't agree. But this year we have had a couple players that are just a turnover waiting to happen. Brommer I don't even think should of been out there. Cartwright may have a good play or two but then comes back with a walk or a bad pass almost every time(except the last illinois game).

Don't know if ya'll all have seen the video, I found it last week. But Woodbury is an excellent passer also. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRHW0qq1-10"]Iowa Hawkeye Commit Adam Woodbury (7 Ft 1 - '12 ESPNU Top 50) - YouTube[/ame]
Gesell can straight up ball. This video is just 1 game of highlights and its him going against Marcus Paige and he takes it to him!!!! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I8A6exE7Fw"]Mike Gesell (Iowa Commit) - YouTube[/ame]

Those were are to biggest area of needs and those two should fill in nicely. We've struggled all year with 7 footers. Mccabe did a good job but could only do so much. I know I was questioning Woodbury's strength. But I'm going to take it back. All I've been reading is how he gets double and triple teamed and I'm sure he gets hacked alot. Making me think he'll be ready for big 10 basketball.

With all that said. I think we'll have an all around solid team next year. No real weak spots. I think we'll have a team full of people that can get it done in all areas of the game.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that Woody's hook is too low. A lot of BIG big men can swat that away.

Its really quick though. He's got pretty quick moves. He knows what he wants to do and does it with no hesitation. If its really a problem I'm sure Fran addresses it before the season starts

Its really quick though. He's got pretty quick moves. He knows what he wants to do and does it with no hesitation. If its really a problem I'm sure Fran addresses it before the season starts

That's the thing with a hook. If it is quick it is really hard to anticipate. You also put a lot of space between the ball and the man with your body. Adam is a lefty too, and that is extra hard to defend because you aren't used to the ball coming from hand. Though Adam seems to be able to use either hand so there is another advantage for him.