Starting QB Tomorrow?

Well you had to envision Seth Myers saying it. Is that better. I just thought your premise that a coach would play a less talented QB, or one who couldn't dominate a spring game as kind of ridiculous. Ruduck looked pretty good in the spring too ya know and it's really hard to compare numbers the way the spring was an alternation fest. I'm going to go with the coach will play the guy who gives him the best chance to win and if that's Sokol...he plays him.

Rudock really didn't look much different than JVB in the Spring game. He had very similar stats as JVB in 2013. He averaged 6.0 yards per attempt (JVB had 5.8 ypa in 2013, 110th in the nation).

Just saw a picture on Hawkeyesports of one configuration of the OL. Scherff, Donnal, Blythe, Walsh, and Van Sloten. Me likey.

I like it to. There's a lot of competition on the line so whoever starts is going to be good. I thought they'd end up putting Donnal at LG to have a very big dominant left side. Not sure if Walsh is set at RG (all the guards are going to have to perform or get replaced.) Maybe they'll rotate some.

Where was that...I read a write up where he said if he is number 2 the he will still get a shot at the number 1...but I read it that he felt there was still a competition just that rudock was a little ahead.

I guess I read that wrong. He just listed Sokol as tied for 2nd, but his name was listed last. I guess I read that as him being third. Still it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up third.

Brilliant. Thanks for the input. I'll admit I'm going by what the media has been saying and the photos.

You should check out HawkeyeInsider.com, Rob Howe also made it sound as if Sokol was 3rd as well. Media seems to be changing its opinion but you seem to stick with Sokol.

You should check out HawkeyeInsider.com, Rob Howe also made it sound as if Sokol was 3rd as well. Media seems to be changing its opinion but you seem to stick with Sokol.

He's been rooting for Sokol all along and really has no reason for it outside of a single practice. Don't mention the fact the coaches see what the players are doing day in and day out. Nahh that doesn't make any sense.

What's funny to me is he's blasting Ferentz for saying there's a QB competition when he claims it has been Rudock all along, but if the decision were up to hwk23 it's clear he would have named Sokol the starter after a single practice. Little ironic don't ya think?

Anyways, I don't want to read too far into the practice photos, but I have seen many of Rudock with the #1's and recently there was a shot of Beathard with the 1's. Haven't seen any of Sokol as far as I know so maybe there's some truth to the rumor he's slipped back to 3rd. Ferentz and Davis both made it clear it would be easier to split reps between two guys than all three.

I've seen a few pictures of interceptions from practice. If they are all Sokols' perhaps he would slip down the ladder.

I've seen a few pictures of interceptions from practice. If they are all Sokols' perhaps he would slip down the ladder.

Perhaps he's trying to do too much. That would be an easy mistake to make when you're trying to seperate yourself in the middle of a qb competition. This is the Big Ten. It's not as easy to be a gunslinger here as it was in an Artichoke uniform. Lack of playmakers at WR can also hurt a QB who relies on making big plays. If the Hawks are struggling to find guys who can create seperation then tossing the ball up for grabs isn't the best strategy to employ as a QB.

Gonna be lots of rumors floating around at this point as people are getting antsy for answers and for football. I'm glad to hear it sounds like there is some seperation taking place. That's a good sign for the team, and it doesn't matter to me who the name on the back of the jersey is.

Last edited:
I just hope that the new starter hits the ground running. We really need that first game. Lynch struggled last year in his first game. This year with his and his lines' experience , they will score some points. I think Iowa may need 24 points to win this.

The decision for quarterback is going to be a mutual decision between Davis and Kirk. If it's a choice Kirk doesn't like GD will have argue for his choice but in the end they will agree on a QB.
It wouldn't surprise me to see two QB's play against NIU even though one QB is named the starter this weekend.

I expect Rudock is going to be the starter.

I am just glad that someone has separated from the pack. At this stage in the competition, I would have to think that 2 guys aren't regressing, but rather one is pulling away. I think this is a very good thing. Sometimes competition can really bring out the best in players.

Rudock will start but I'm sure you already know that. He's been getting all the 1st team snaps since the day after media day. Ironically, the day after KF said, "it's not like everybody is chasing Rudock, the next 20 practices are key." So I guess they decided in a few practices and not really 20. Seems like Rudock was always going to be the guy.

Sokol's the most talented QB, but we might not see him much. If Sokol plays there's a decent chance he will dominate like he did in the Spring game and that will lead to an unwanted QB controversy.

you know for a FACT he's been taking ALL the first team snaps? or are you just basing this off a few pictures you've seen online?

how do you know for a FACT sokol is the most talented QB? because he had a super awesome spring game?

i have honestly never seen someone place so much stock in a single spring game. its like someone only seeing JVB in the pitt game from 11 and saying he's a sure fire 1st round draft pick and then defending the hell out of his argument without any other information to go off of.

if sokol is your friend(or hell, you are sokol) then i applaud your loyalty to your friend. if you don't know him at all, then you're borderline creepy

The masons, Rockefellers and Knights Templar have all conspired to sabotage Sokol. If he became the starter, it would interfere with their plans for world domination.

The masons, Rockefellers and Knights Templar have all conspired to sabotage Sokol. If he became the starter, it would interfere with their plans for world domination.

I am glad somebody other than me on here knows the truth. Standing and clapping.

FreedComanche

I am just glad that someone has separated from the pack. At this stage in the competition, I would have to think that 2 guys aren't regressing, but rather one is pulling away. I think this is a very good thing. Sometimes competition can really bring out the best in players.

We will see if that's the case in game 1. You have no idea if that's true or not.

C'mon guys lighten up. We're all Hawk fans that want to see the best. None of us have seen any of these QBs take any game snaps and won't for 2 weeks and that truly includes the coaches. Let's see what happens and cheer for whoever's out there and let the coaches decide if the #2 guy can make more happen.
Todd Wenndt

Latest posts