Stars Matter

ISUhawk

The first round was chalked full of 4 and five stars. Stars matter people. Yeah we have good three star players but they take time to develop and most of them don't pan out. The reason blue bloods stay blue bloods is because of the freaks they get. All that, "I'd rather take a 2 star with a worth ethic than a 4*" crap is a joke. All of these dudes have work ethics. Just a random venting...

Allen Trieu
‏@AllenTrieu
11h11 hours ago
Final 1st Round tally: 5-stars (7), 4-star (15), 3-star (3), 2-star (4), NR (2). South (13), Midlands (6), Midwest (5), West (5), East (2).

Be careful making broad generalizations with one year's worth of data.

More 4* than 5* drafted in the first round, and more 2* than 3*. If stars were the ONLY thing that mattered it would be a perfectly linear distribution. It's not.

2014 First Round picks:
5* - 3
4* - 15
3* - 9
2* - 1
NR - 1

What you're seeing is correlation, not causation.

Be careful making broad generalizations with one year's worth of data.

More 4* than 5* drafted in the first round, and more 2* than 3*. If stars were the ONLY thing that mattered it would be a perfectly linear distribution. It's not.

2014 First Round picks:
5* - 3
4* - 15
3* - 9
2* - 1
NR - 1

What you're seeing is correlation, not causation.

Bob Sanders.

Talent matters. Stars are a little subjective.

5 star kids obviously are far better than a 2 star. A low 4 star is negligibly better than a mid to upper 3 star, if at all...depending on many things. Of course if your roster is 80% 4-5 stars, attrition is less of an issue (see bluebloods)

Talent always matters, but there are many factors that matter as much...fit, attitude, attrition, depth, etc.

We continue to win and limit attrition...talent will improve.

The first round was chalked full of 4 and five stars. Stars matter people. Yeah we have good three star players but they take time to develop and most of them don't pan out. The reason blue bloods stay blue bloods is because of the freaks they get. All that, "I'd rather take a 2 star with a worth ethic than a 4*" crap is a joke. All of these dudes have work ethics. Just a random venting...

Allen Trieu
‏@AllenTrieu
11h11 hours ago
Final 1st Round tally: 5-stars (7), 4-star (15), 3-star (3), 2-star (4), NR (2). South (13), Midlands (6), Midwest (5), West (5), East (2).

Then why didn't we play OSU in the Big Ten Championship game?

Of course talent matters. Whether it's the proven talent or a 4 or 5* or the undeveloped talent of carefully selected under the radar 2s or 3s it matters if you want to keep a program winning ballgames. If one wishes for Iowa to get to the next level or at least sniff a stellar season more than once every 5-6 years the Hawks need to have a recruiting coordinator/staff with no coaching duties. Don't many other programs have that, meaning a coordinator who does nothing but recruiting?

Starz matter, but lets be blunt about this, after the 5* and 4* recruits, the services are pretty sh!tty. It is easy to rate the top 500 kids each year, heck you just look at who the big boys are recruiting, look at tape and you can see they are a cut above everyone else. So that is why I get psyched when Iowa signs a 4* kid, as they are looked at being one of the top kids around. Most of the time those rating are deserved and that is why so many are drafted.

It is the 3* and especially the 2* kids that all the services such at rating. This is where Iowa has been very very good at. They "hit" on these kids much more often than 99% of staffs out there. That is why if Iowa could just consistently bring in 5 or 6 of these really top kids a year, along with their success at 3* kids, they would really put together an impressive run I think.

Look how many underclass men came out, no intentions of getting a degree which is sad because we all know there's no guarantees that you will make it.Being drafted only gets you a try out.

Look how many underclass men came out, no intentions of getting a degree which is sad because we all know there's no guarantees that you will make it.Being drafted only gets you a try out.

they can always go back to school if they think they have a high probability of getting 2-3 years worth of NFL money. If they dont they go back to school I hope on their own dime, get a degree and start regular life.

Starz matter, but lets be blunt about this, after the 5* and 4* recruits, the services are pretty sh!tty. It is easy to rate the top 500 kids each year, heck you just look at who the big boys are recruiting, look at tape and you can see they are a cut above everyone else. So that is why I get psyched when Iowa signs a 4* kid, as they are looked at being one of the top kids around. Most of the time those rating are deserved and that is why so many are drafted.

It is the 3* and especially the 2* kids that all the services such at rating. This is where Iowa has been very very good at. They "hit" on these kids much more often than 99% of staffs out there. That is why if Iowa could just consistently bring in 5 or 6 of these really top kids a year, along with their success at 3* kids, they would really put together an impressive run I think.

This analysis is spot on.. I would also say that where recruiting talent makes a significant difference on the field is in depth. It is much easier to plug a 4-star underclassman into your lineup when the injury bug hits then it is to rely on younger players that are 2-stars and haven't had time to develop.

All Kurt needs to do is offer the 4* & 5* players and sit back. We'd be 14-0 by now if he had done that. Instead he's crootin' stoopid 2-3* players and it's obvious he don't wanna win.

they can always go back to school if they think they have a high probability of getting 2-3 years worth of NFL money. If they dont they go back to school I hope on their own dime, get a degree and start regular life.

Yes you're right they can go back and get their degree but what percentage of players do.

All Kurt needs to do is offer the 4* & 5* players and sit back. We'd be 14-0 by now if he had done that. Instead he's crootin' stoopid 2-3* players and it's obvious he don't wanna win.

His name is "Kirk" ... "(NEW)Kirk", to be exact! Show a li'l reespect after goin' 12-0, regular!

OP's avatar is the best QB in the NFL who had no D-1 offers out of high school and only got a look from Cal b/c the TE at his community college was getting looked at.

Troll.

Latest posts