Stanzi v Vandenberg

Stanzi as a Junior in '09 through the 4 OOC games:

130 pass attempts
80 completions
61.5% completion percentage
978 total yards (244.5 yards per game)
8 TDs
5 INTs

At a comparable juncture in his career, Vandenberg, also a JR, through the OOC slate this year:

129 pass attempts
81 completions
62.8% completion percentage
1095 total yards (273.8 yards per game)
10 TDs
1 INT

This is a better comparison. Pretty dang close except for the INTs. So as of right now Vandy looks to make better decisions with the football in his hands.

Pretty comparable through their first four starts, but you have to remember Stanzi wasn't actually a first year player in 2009. He saw action in every game in 2008 and took over the starting position in week 4 or 5...and started a bowl game. He had way more game experience than Vandenberg does this year.

For some reason I have a sense that Vandenberg is just getting warmed up. I mentioned in a thread before the season started that he seems to have intangibles and confidence that he can get the job done in the clutch. Let's face it, he didn't let us down in crunch time at Iowa State...he played well and may have been a drop away from pulling that game out. Pitt, well, that speaks for itself. Stanzi certainly put in some clutch performances in 2009, but for the most part, he was the reason why we were in that position due to his stupid decisions to throw the ball in double and triple cover, or simply late. Certainly, Vandy has had his moments of throwing a ball he shouldn't, but he appears to be in charge and knows where the ball should go, much more than Stanzi in 2008 and 2009.

It's B10 season now and the stakes go up...but the pedigree and potential for Vandenberg hasn't been diminished, it has actually gone up exponentially. He is who many of us thought he was. A front runner for first team B10 QB...and offensive player of the year. Wilson simply has played no one so to compare his numbers is really difficult. Robinson has faded in the B10 season as teams can contain their running game, and force him to beat them with his arm. I don't think he can do it, but time will tell. I like our guy in this race.

Just watch as JVB gets better and better. Guys... he is good now and is only going to get better. Start backing him now, he is good.

James has only had six starts. He will blow Rick away with a little more experience. The difference in interceptions is big!

Love both Stanzi and Vandenberg, but come talk to me when Vandenberg wins a BCS bowl game.

Well, it's kind of a team game and if this defense somehow morphs into the 2009 unit, well, I think he would win a BCS bowl game. Right now, our defense isn't anywhere near that level.

I'd be more focused on our offensive production in comparing him to Stanzi...especially with the game on the line.

I'll always regard Stanzi as one of the greatest Hawkeye leader in my 31 years... as a player and even more as a person..led us to one of the most memorable seasons in my lifetime

Just watch as JVB gets better and better. Guys... he is good now and is only going to get better. Start backing him now, he is good.

Yeah, what struck me was that Vandenberg even had a pretty bad game against ISU ... and it was still a 200+ yard outing.

Furthermore, given that it was his first time starting in the rivalry game ... I have no doubt that he had some nerves. Way to many balls were either coming out a tad early OR were floating on him.

Now, as the season progresses, he'll continue to improve with regard to the timing of his throws AND reducing the number of floaters.

As that happens, he'll be picking teams apart. And, as that happens, opposing teams will stack the box less against us ... and as the OL-play improves its consistency ... I think that our running game will REALLY start to take-off!

For those who cannot tell ... I'm kinda amped about the potential of this O!

If JVB can improve in along the same trendline as Stanzi, he's going to be one of the best ever in black and gold. But that's a big if. I would argue Stanzi's level of improvement was the biggest we've ever had in a QB at Iowa.

Stanzi
2007: Bad enough to never push JC6 for playing time. We can assume he looked horrible then?
2008: Battled with JC6 for starting role to start year. Won job. Was pretty bad for about half the year after that. Got hot hand starting with PSU. Scorched Gophers and S. Carolina to end the year.
2009: Was pretty great at times, but inconsitent and prone to dumb interceptions. Overall I would take 2009 Stanzi most years if you offered me the chance.
2010: Was pretty much great. Outstanding comp %, TD/INT ratio. One of the best statistical seasons in Iowa history. Regressed in 2-min drill though. Overall, a great QB year.

The Mandenberg
2009: Inconsistent, but showed flashes of brillance out of the bullpen. Armstrength was great even back then.
2010: I know he got some garbage time, but basically a DNP here.
2011: Still looked very inconsistent through about 2.7 games. Then looked phenominal down the strech against Pitt and all game vs. ULM. I'd like to see him do it against a good defense but the tools have always been there and the head may be coming around. I'm still not going to count on him being all-world in the B1G, but it is in the realm of possibility. We also haven't seen him perform well on the road this year, but small sample size there.
2012: ???. If he can improve like the Manzi, he's going to be awesome. Unfortunately the other pieces of the passing game may take a step back to neutralize this a bit.

the problem with comparing them is that there 2 totally different types of people and players. what made stanzi great was his ability to shrug of every play. he had a very short term memory. plus his leadership was top notch with this program. you could tell that the team just had a different attitude when he wasn't injured. vandy is still trying to find his stride. I haven't seen the leadership yet out of him and its still up for grabs if he is able to handle mental set backs. time will tell though. There is no doubt that vandy will have more impressive numbers. my only question is will he have the swagger and confidence and leadership ability that stanzi had.

2012: ???. If he can improve like the Manzi, he's going to be awesome. Unfortunately the other pieces of the passing game may take a step back to neutralize this a bit.

Sure, we'll be losing an absolutely tremendous WR in McNutt.

However, on the flip side, at this juncture I'd be pretty surprised if Riley Reiff left early. And, getting Reiff back at LT in 2012 will be pretty huge for the O.

TE play has struggled a tad ... and I'd chalk that up largely due to inexperience. Fortunately, Derby and Fiedorowicz continue to make up ground. Furthermore, Hamilton is a VERY promising talent and will squarely be in the picture come the '12 season. While we'll definitely miss a tremendous WR like Marv ... the TEs will likely step up and partially fill the void.

Getting back to the bit about Reiff ... even with the departures of Gettis, Zusevics, and Orne ... provided that Reiff returns, the OL very well could pick up right where it left off. Here are some reasons that support this contention:
- Reiff and Ferentz are obvious anchors of the OL
- MacMillan and Tobin both have starting experience
- MacMillan has the potential to be a "star"
- Scherff has received quality game reps and will be adequately experienced
- Scherff has the potential to be a "star"
- Heiar is an awfully solid guy and he'll be coming "online" for the '12 season
- Van Sloten and Boffeli both are high-quality guys who have seen game reps ... they're both good enough to start
- Donnal has done enough to get on the depth chart ... and also he's already gotten his feet wet on the field.
- Blythe and Walsh are both quality guys ... and I've heard praise coming out from their teammates during camp about their promise

Anyhow, that's some NICE depth ... and definitely there is plenty of talent and experience there!

To complement the aforementioned depth and talent on the OL ... we'll also have McCall returning ... and that's in addition to whatever talented RB recruit jumps aboard in the '12 recruiting class (and I predict that Iowa will land 1 or 2 of such high quality guys). Thus, between Iowa's new found "depth" at RB and quality on the OL ... I honestly believe that the running game will make substantial strides.

Who then wouldn't be excited with the big chunks of yardage that Vandenberg could gain out of play-action then? He's impressive as it is when he's picking apart secondaries out of shotgun ... and his ability to hit the big-play only goes up when opposing teams need to worry more about our running game!

Lastly, there's the fact that we still return 2 guys out of a very productive and confident trio. Both Keenan Davis and Tin-Man are improving before our very eyes through each and every game. More importantly, they're also become more comfortable and confident football players too ... and that will only help them get that much better.

And, lest we not forget, we'll still have Shumpert, Grant, and Hillyer ready to step up for us next year ... all of whom I've heard pretty positive things about! And, on top of that, we've already landed a really promising WR in Wilson in the '12 recruiting class ... and I'm willing to bet that we'll land a few more before it's all said and done!

My point being ... as good as the 2011 O might end up being ... the 2012 O could still end up being EVEN BETTER!!!

Last edited:
the problem with comparing them is that there 2 totally different types of people and players. what made stanzi great was his ability to shrug of every play. he had a very short term memory. plus his leadership was top notch with this program. you could tell that the team just had a different attitude when he wasn't injured. vandy is still trying to find his stride. I haven't seen the leadership yet out of him and its still up for grabs if he is able to handle mental set backs. time will tell though. There is no doubt that vandy will have more impressive numbers. my only question is will he have the swagger and confidence and leadership ability that stanzi had.

C'mon, you can't tell leadership qualities just by watching the guy play football on TV. You have no idea what's going on in the locker room.

Homer, a lot depends on RR in my mind. Losing both tackles and a guard is usually bad thing for the passing game, even with good talent coming up. And losing the best receiver in school history is going to hurt no matter how you slice it.

I'm not saying we definitely will take a step back, but there are enough ???'s that's it's possible. But if things do break the right way with RR and development, then maybe.

C'mon, you can't tell leadership qualities just by watching the guy play football on TV. You have no idea what's going on in the locker room.

I agree. This is a very subjective idea that many people just assume to be the truth. Was a Stanzi a great leader? He may have been, but to hear some fans talk it's as if he's Alexander the Great, Tom Brady, and George Washington all rolled into one.

I seem to remember watching him fail horribly in the clutch repeatedly in 2010. He was an objective failure as a leader in those final "drives." Perhaps some of you repress those images the same way a victim of childhood abuse sometimes will.

Latest posts