Stanzi time?

Orton is a stop gap to try to win the West division this year (which isn't going to happen). He is a free agent after the season. They could bring him back to challenge Cassell during training camp. They aren't going to keep both Orton and Cassell. Either way, Stanzi doesn't see the any significant time. The writing is on the wall as Palko has played horribly the past two games and still Stanzi didn't see the field.

There was ALOT of talk at the beginning of the year about Stanzi looking good during training camp and when they broke camp. However, I have read more negative comments regarding Stanzi than positive as the season has progressed.

I realize he IS a rookie and a "project." The labor delay didn't help him any. However, I would venture to guess that he isn't on the roster next year. KC will definitely draft a QB in the 1st round as they will draft in the top 10. There will be many quality QB's at their picking spot to choose from.

Orton is a stop gap to try to win the West division this year (which isn't going to happen). He is a free agent after the season. They could bring him back to challenge Cassell during training camp. They aren't going to keep both Orton and Cassell. Either way, Stanzi doesn't see the any significant time. The writing is on the wall as Palko has played horribly the past two games and still Stanzi didn't see the field.There was ALOT of talk at the beginning of the year about Stanzi looking good during training camp and when they broke camp. However, I have read more negative comments regarding Stanzi than positive as the season has progressed. I realize he IS a rookie and a "project." The labor delay didn't help him any. However, I would venture to guess that he isn't on the roster next year. KC will definitely draft a QB in the 1st round as they will draft in the top 10. There will be many quality QB's at their picking spot to choose from.
Yeah this is actually pretty wrong. First of all they will not draft a Qb first round as they just drafted stanzi last year and secondly they need many more things before they need a Qb. Stanzi will be there next year.

They drafted Stanzi in the 5th round. He was a project pick. Stanzi will be viewed as a sunk cost and will not be factored into next years draft.

Taken directly out of the KC Star, written by Sam Mellinger:

"Tyler Palko has shown himself to be so bad the Chiefs can’t expect to make any real judgments on the rest of the roster. Ricky Stanzi is so inept the coaches haven’t even considered playing him the last two weeks."

Don't think we will be seeing Stanzi anytime soon.

Until something like that comes from the coaches, it means nothing more than the comments on here do. That guy is doing nothing more than saying "he isn't playing so he must be worse" when obviously a lot more goes into it than that.

Kyle Orton Not Suiting Up And Ricky Stanzi's Injured Ankle Spells Trouble For Kansas City Chiefs - SB Nation Kansas City

As others have said, if Stanzi was that bad he would get cut for a journeyman veteran. He may not be ready to start, but he is LIGHTYEARS better than Palko.

Last edited:
They drafted Stanzi in the 5th round....He is at best, a project. The Chiefs have no other option but to grab one of four legit QB's in the top 10.

Orton choked. He should have waited a week and then he could have been starting for a team that had a real shot.

Orton choked. He should have waited a week and then he could have been starting for a team that had a real shot.

Curious how Orton choked, did he have a say who picked him up on waivers, just asking cause I don't know. If so, could be due from how much he makes if he's picked up on waivers, that team (Chiefs) owe him the rest of his one year deal, I think around 2.4 million. If he went the free agent route, ya the Bears could pick him up for 1 million, to me that's not choking, espicially if you think you're not going to be around next year, to me that was a good financial decision?

Rookies are used in emergencies. Palko may be bad, but he isn't a throwing multiple pick 6's per game and he isn't injured. Now that Orton's there, Orton is 2nd in command. It's that simple, he got 40% of the snaps in practice this week. Rookie late-rounders aren't used as an alternative until absolutely necessary.

Curious how Orton choked, did he have a say who picked him up on waivers, just asking cause I don't know. If so, could be due from how much he makes if he's picked up on waivers, that team (Chiefs) owe him the rest of his one year deal, I think around 2.4 million. If he went the free agent route, ya the Bears could pick him up for 1 million, to me that's not choking, espicially if you think you're not going to be around next
year, to me that was a good
financial decision?

he had no choice. in fact both kc and chicago were in the bid to take him off waivers. Orton even indicated that he preferred going back to chicago. he was at the mercy of the team that bid to take him off waivers that had the worse win/loss record, which was kc.

Taken directly out of the KC Star, written by Sam Mellinger:

"Tyler Palko has shown himself to be so bad the Chiefs can’t expect to make any real judgments on the rest of the roster. Ricky Stanzi is so inept the coaches haven’t even considered playing him the last two weeks."

Don't think we will be seeing Stanzi anytime soon.

/thread

good point.. none really. it was mentioned on local Denver TV sportscast two weeks ago.

Colorado -
To be clear, I didn't request a source to be a jerk and call you out. I was just curious as I heard an interview of Orton on KC sports radio in which he was asked whether he said anything about preferring to go to Chicago; he said any rumors were false as no one asked him about it. I was just curious if Orton was being deceitful.

good point.. none really. it was mentioned on local Denver TV sportscast two weeks ago.
Colorado -To be clear, I didn't request a source to be a jerk and call you out. I was just curious as I heard an interview of Orton on KC sports radio in which he was asked whether he said anything about preferring to go to Chicago; he said any rumors were false as no one asked him about it. I was just curious if Orton was being deceitful.

np. I wouldn't call Denver media always credible per se. I think the media sometimes likes to make the news rather than report it. It was definitely not a direct interview. I like Orton, and wanted to see him succeed in Denver. He has been thrown into some big spotlights, and for the most part handled himself pretty well. it will be interesting to see how that last game of the season plays out, and how the media will try to play it up.

2 reasons to pick up Orton.

1. He can fill them in on Denver's game plan. They play in the last week, and if they can somehow get into contention in the division then this info could be very valuable.
2. They have to play the team (Chicago) that would have likely picked him up off the waiver wire this week. It does not matter if he wanted to play there or not. It was not his choice where he went unless he cleared waivers, which he didn't, and wouldn't have even if KC passed on him.

I cannot imagine they have any desire to replace Cassel with him.

Last edited: