Stanzi takes the sack

RedHawk

Banned
In my opinion, we were going to march downfield and kick the field goal for the victory. Wisconson could not stop us. Then, Stanzi takes a sack and loses 17 yards...he was outside the tackles and had a ton of time to just throw it away. We were moving, had great field position and plenty of time. We didn't need a scramble, waste time, force the situation, play at that time. Nothing available, throw it away & line up again for a new shot. He had plenty of time to toss it away, just kept scrambling and looking, then down he went. That was a game killer. All that said...I thought it was an entertaining game. We were the better team. If we play attacking defense we win. If we play attacking offense we win. If our special teams would wake up we win. If the referees call any of the 100's of chops blocks/holding/interference etc. we win - felt like we were the visiting team. Our defense misses Norm bad. He knew when to stunt, when to blitz, when to use nicklebacks etc. How did no one on our defense expect a fake punt? I fully expected it, even the announcers on TV expected it. Our conservative strategy would say fair catch it and don't risk a fumble. Why did the entire defense run back like we were setting up a big return? Makes no sense to me. Strange game, hard hitting, hope we aren't too beat up. Wisconson was very talented. Arizona was talented. We should have smashed both of them, we were clearly the superior team. Strange game...

In my opinion, we were going to march downfield and kick the field goal for the victory. Wisconson could not stop us. Then, Stanzi takes a sack and loses 17 yards...he was outside the tackles and had a ton of time to just throw it away. We were moving, had great field position and plenty of time. We didn't need a scramble, waste time, force the situation, play at that time. Nothing available, throw it away & line up again for a new shot. He had plenty of time to toss it away, just kept scrambling and looking, then down he went. That was a game killer.

Are you talking about the last drive?

1. I'm pretty sure he only lost 11 because the next play was 2nd and 21.

2. He had to move outside the tackles shortly after surveying the field because Watt started to collapse the pocket through Zus. He can't throw the ball away inside the pocket unless he airmails it to a receiver, which due to the collapsed pocket, who knows if he could have stepped into a throw enough to "airmail" it?

3. If Watt doesn't make a great shoe-string grab of Stanzi's foot, Rick gets out of the pocket and has a chance to make a play, or more importantly, run out of bounds to stop the clock (and save our first timeout). I don't know where your reference to a ton of time to throw it away came from...

Maybe I'm mis-remembering because I was watching in a bar on a way too small TV and haven't watched the game a second time (and probably won't), but that's what it seemed like to me.

Stanzi very nearly got out of that, and against most DE's, he would have. I've got to give Watt credit on that one, he made a great play.

Stanzi had to get out of the pocket, it was collapsing and Watt made a shoe-string tackle. Tough break, but that didn't cost us the game, our poor special teams and clock management cost us this one! Stanzi did all he could to get us in positon, the coaches took over and did not allow Ricky and the team a shot to win the game!

I don't care if we miss a 54yd field goal i wouldnt be upset. We did not give ourselves a chance to win! That's all I want our coaching staff to take away from this game, realize that you need your TO's and don't panic when we get a 1st down, the clock stops!

Without knowing what play was called, I guess I assumed we were looking for quick hitting plays to move the ball in chunks into field goal position. He went thru all his reads, he could have dumped it then. He pulled ball down and started scrambling to avoid pressure and buy more time. He was outside the tackles while running back & wide for 10 yards or more. Just seemed like the play had broke down and at that time we didn't need anything desperate or forced. Strange game....we make tons of mental errors and executed poorly. Coaching didn't seem sharp and clock management was off at times. Here's my conspiracy theory: Big Ten decided Wisconson was the team to play in BCS title game. After Iowa, their schedule is easy and they win out. BCS game brings the league $20 million or some huge amount. Iowa had three super tough games and scary game at Northwestern left - chances of us winning out were not as good as Wisconson's. NCAA Football is a business first and foremost. :mad:Conference call: Iowa was told to play ball.

Re-watched the game tonite. Ricky was not scrambling long on that play, and usually he gets outside where there was no wiscy player in sight...Watt got him by a shoestring,and tripped him up with a great play. 9 outta 10 ricky gets around him and is running or passing with a lot of open field ahead.

Was bad decision by Stanzi not to throw the ball away there...but hey not the first time he has done it. And yes that was a major reason we didn't get in FG position...add 11 yards to the last first down we got...what are the odds we do another play with no TO's? They probably let the FG kicker try to win it from there.

In my opinion if you want to identify one play that lost the game it would be the fake punt. There is no excuse for not having anyone making sure the punter actually kicks the ball. That is fundamental football expecially at that time in the game with that score.

Was bad decision by Stanzi not to throw the ball away there...but hey not the first time he has done it. And yes that was a major reason we didn't get in FG position...add 11 yards to the last first down we got...what are the odds we do another play with no TO's? They probably let the FG kicker try to win it from there.

Dude he can't throw the ball away until he gets out of the pocket. The guy he had to get outside got just enough of him to bring him down.

Ricky did exactly what a QB should in that situation. His initial read wasn't there, he felt pressure, and he tried to get outside the pocket to buy more time.

As Jon likes to say "The other team has players too". Sometimes they make plays.

Last edited:

Latest posts