Stanley is a total choke artist.

Overall Nate has had some good games and some bad games. Saturday's was terrible. But I simply don't see the argument that you can't bench him. No one says he has to sit permanently. Just shut him down for the remainder of the game and bring him back the next week.

RBs cough up the ball...they come out.
WRs can't catch passes...they come out.
DBs blow assignments....next man in.
Repeated false starts on oline...next man in...well maybe not.

I simply don't see why a QB who is struggling to make even the simplest of throws is above coming out of the game. Is he the best QB on our roster? I'm guessing so. But I'll laugh if someone were to tell me that there wasn't a QB on the roster that couldn't have matched his performance on Saturday night. Sit him down. Next man in should get the chance to right the team and give him the reigns next game.

I was ok with seeing Mansell get a series in a game he was struggling at, but not benching him. Wait, did I see Mansell come in? I was drinking a lot.

This is just plain silly. The rain was horrible the first part of the game. Neither QB played well. McSorley finished 11 of 25 for 167 yards with one touchdown and one interception. He's considered the best QB in the Big 10. If Stanley or Ferentz calls a time out on the goal line, or if Fant realizes the ball is snapped, we probably get a TD, a win, he finishes with an almost identical stat line and we're all singing his praises for being able to "pull one out on a tough day".

I'll deal with the bad to have the good. If we win out this year, there's still a solid chance he leaves early and is drafted.

I know that HawkCentral is a competitor of HN but Mark Emmert's article "Hawkeyes' offensive line looks to rebound" provides quite a few examples where the offensive line let the team down as well. After reading that article, my opinion changed a little bit. Stanley wasn't the only player on offense that had a bad day. Bottom line is I hope the whole team learns from this experience and improves by game time in Lafayette.

Everyone should read this article. I agree with your post. The article certainly explains the problems created by weak O line play, as well as some pretty sophisticated defensive strategy by PSU. Football is a team game, with the QB being the most visible on the offensive side of the ball. Nate had a bad game. OK. But, it is almost never the case that you can pin a loss on a single player, even if it is the QB.

Everyone should read this article. I agree with your post. The article certainly explains the problems created by weak O line play, as well as some pretty sophisticated defensive strategy by PSU. Football is a team game, with the QB being the most visible on the offensive side of the ball. Nate had a bad game. OK. But, it is almost never the case that you can pin a loss on a single player, even if it is the QB.
I don't need to read an article to tell me the OL played bad. I could see that with my own 2 eyes. This OC coaching the OL and the OL coach playing OC needs to stop already. It isn't doing anyone any favors. Or get rid of the guy that's trying to coach the OL and have KF take over the job for the immediate future. The OL has been bad for awhile now. That needs to change.

I can only imagine how tough it was for the players on Saturday.

There are two types of fans. Those who root for the players. And those who root for the logo.

And we know which type started this thread.

This is just plain silly. The rain was horrible the first part of the game. Neither QB played well. McSorley finished 11 of 25 for 167 yards with one touchdown and one interception. He's considered the best QB in the Big 10. If Stanley or Ferentz calls a time out on the goal line, or if Fant realizes the ball is snapped, we probably get a TD, a win, he finishes with an almost identical stat line and we're all singing his praises for being able to "pull one out on a tough day".

I'll deal with the bad to have the good. If we win out this year, there's still a solid chance he leaves early and is drafted.

I disagree with this. I don't necessarily pin it on Stanley, but lets be real. Weather aside, the bulk of those incompletions weren't even close. I'm not saying the weather wasn't a factor, but there was obviously something wrong with him late in the game when he was throwing nothing but bounce passes to his receivers. As much as I hate to say it, I can get past the ball he over threw to a wide open Hockenson (I believe) that was an easy TD if he connects on the throw, but IMO the first half may have been the weather, but the second half had as much to do with him internally as it did the weather.

Again I'm not saying he should be riding pine the rest of the year, but at what point in a game do you have to step back and say I think we'd of been better off with someone else in there. I also firmly believe regardless of the INT being thrown on the second to last drive we should have been pounding the ball on the ground. The run game was emerging at that point and we didn't need to give them the ball back with 3+ minutes remaining. We could have pounded the ball and ran some clock.

I heard all week by every blogger and podcaster that Nates hand size compared to mcsorleys would be an advantage

anyone else remember that?:eek:

I don't need to read an article to tell me the OL played bad. I could see that with my own 2 eyes. This OC coaching the OL and the OL coach playing OC needs to stop already. It isn't doing anyone any favors. Or get rid of the guy that's trying to coach the OL and have KF take over the job for the immediate future. The OL has been bad for awhile now. That needs to change.

Opinions are like assholes. We all have one.

Bad game. He wasn’t the only reason Iowa lost and he’s only recently legal drinking age. Choke artist is harsh and unnecessary, IMO.

Disagree, well maybe not, but he was the huge reason Iowa lost this game, other person you can put blame on is the terrible OC to keep calling passing plays when his OC can't throw the ball into the ocean, that reason ALONE was the reason Iowa lost this game, even a slightly below average QB wins that game!

Justin Herbert (projected #1 pick) @ Arizona:
24/48 190 Yards 2TDs/ 1 INT (they got smoked)

Drew Lock (projected 1st rounder): vs Kentucky
15/27 165 Yards 0TDs

Will Grier (Heisman candidate) @ ISU
11/15 100 Yards 1TD/ 1 INT

Point being this kind of thing can happen. Nate had a horrible game on Saturday, and I think he’d be the first to admit it. He has a long ways to ago especially with pocket presence, decision making, and accuracy, but calling for Mansell is a stretch at this point given what NS has proven over the last two years.

Also not the first time stanley has stunk up the place he has more bad games than great gamea!

If you think Stanley is a first round draft pick after this year you are just plain crazy. Stop with the wind and rain crap too. The guy is good against shit teams and looks horrible against teams with a pulse with the amazing OSU performance as the lone exception. He has a long way to go unless receivers in the NFL start putting Stickum on their shoes!

Overall Nate has had some good games and some bad games. Saturday's was terrible. But I simply don't see the argument that you can't bench him. No one says he has to sit permanently. Just shut him down for the remainder of the game and bring him back the next week.

RBs cough up the ball...they come out.
WRs can't catch passes...they come out.
DBs blow assignments....next man in.
Repeated false starts on oline...next man in...well maybe not.

I simply don't see why a QB who is struggling to make even the simplest of throws is above coming out of the game. Is he the best QB on our roster? I'm guessing so. But I'll laugh if someone were to tell me that there wasn't a QB on the roster that couldn't have matched his performance on Saturday night. Sit him down. Next man in should get the chance to right the team and give him the reigns next game.

This is the most logical post on this thread.
Stanley is pry the best QB we have. And I don’t have a problem with him getting the start going forward. But Saturday he wasn’t going to get it done. It was obvious. Something wasn’t right. Maybe mansell comes in and stinks it up too. Who knows? But Stanley’s inability to complete the simplest of passes crippled our offense as PSU could then focus on stopping the run. Essentially taking away both aspects of the game.

There was even a justifiable reason to pull him and save his confidence when he hurt his thumb. Put in mansell and then say that Stanley wasn’t able to go back.

Long post summary. If you aren’t benefiting OUR team, you shouldn’t be on the field.

This is the most logical post on this thread.
Stanley is pry the best QB we have. And I don’t have a problem with him getting the start going forward. But Saturday he wasn’t going to get it done. It was obvious. Something wasn’t right. Maybe mansell comes in and stinks it up too. Who knows? But Stanley’s inability to complete the simplest of passes crippled our offense as PSU could then focus on stopping the run. Essentially taking away both aspects of the game.

There was even a justifiable reason to pull him and save his confidence when he hurt his thumb. Put in mansell and then say that Stanley wasn’t able to go back.

Long post summary. If you aren’t benefiting OUR team, you shouldn’t be on the field.

Therein lies the dilemma:

Stanley at this point most likely is in fact the best QB on the roster, so it's risky to pull him.

BUT

Stanley also routinely chokes in make or break moments, so it's risky to leave him in.

tenor.gif

I disagree with this. I don't necessarily pin it on Stanley, but lets be real. Weather aside, the bulk of those incompletions weren't even close. I'm not saying the weather wasn't a factor, but there was obviously something wrong with him late in the game when he was throwing nothing but bounce passes to his receivers. As much as I hate to say it, I can get past the ball he over threw to a wide open Hockenson (I believe) that was an easy TD if he connects on the throw, but IMO the first half may have been the weather, but the second half had as much to do with him internally as it did the weather.

Again I'm not saying he should be riding pine the rest of the year, but at what point in a game do you have to step back and say I think we'd of been better off with someone else in there. I also firmly believe regardless of the INT being thrown on the second to last drive we should have been pounding the ball on the ground. The run game was emerging at that point and we didn't need to give them the ball back with 3+ minutes remaining. We could have pounded the ball and ran some clock.

Did you miss the part where he damn near broke his hand on that helmet? He looked significantly better after getting it taped. I agree that there should have been a series or two with a different QB until he got that sorted though.

Latest posts