Stanford...

You do realize he walked on at Stanford too. Both offered walk on spots he chose Stanford.

Commence with the bellyaching though.

Yes, I know the history of his offers. Definitely a kid we could have used on our defensive line.

3 TEs worked decent against OSU. No more 3 TE sets against Wisky = embarrassing offensive performance. Common sense says run the 3 TE set more, a lot more. When your TEs are also your best pass catchers and most dangerous threats, why the hell now use them. Oh, that's not the "iowa" way, I forgot.

"Scracth where it itches" Hmmm Haven't I heard that before somewhere?

Is efficient.

Very impressive.

No, this isn't an invitation to bash our seemingly inefficient offense....but they are definitely a team to emulate. Solid defense...power offense... disciplined...not flashy, a lot like my Hawks...Circa early/mid 00's

Now...begin...

Basically, Stanford messed up the College Football Suicide Pool for anyone (like me) who hadn't used Oregon yet.

And we would be doing the same thing with our terrible coach and scheme if we had the players. We just don't have them (across the board) like we should.

Stanford knows what it is, I wish we did. They embrace the huge OL, multiple TE, run the ball down your throat, play action offense. We are all over the place, Ferentz wants a power running game, but he brings in a coordinator who wants to run hurry up no huddle spread offense, we have no clear vision for what kind of team we want to be. We do a lot of things, but do none of them exceptionally well.

This X 1,893,465........This is the correct answer.....and more than likely this will be KF's downfall. I almost think KF would have been better off finding his OC in the NFL. A Cam Cameron type floating around somewhere grabbing him off a bad staff.

Stanford knows what it is, I wish we did. They embrace the huge OL, multiple TE, run the ball down your throat, play action offense. We are all over the place, Ferentz wants a power running game, but he brings in a coordinator who wants to run hurry up no huddle spread offense, we have no clear vision for what kind of team we want to be. We do a lot of things, but do none of them exceptionally well.

We knew exactly what we were, then we had down years, fans bitched and moaned, and we scrapped what we were by getting rid of all our coaches and changing all our schemes/identity. We were what Stanford is, but we had down years, so now we are no huddle/ no one knows.... We asked for it, we got it.

Yes, I know the history of his offers. Definitely a kid we could have used on our defensive line.
Sorry I don't remember anyone complaining about us not recruiting him at the time. I guess hindsight allows one to bellyache without having a strong point. Well done.

That sight of the Stanford O-line with like 9 guys shoulder to shoulder,some on all fours, was awesome. So glad they hung on to win. KF would have loved this game...it validates his whole philosophy...same with Kill, Dantonio and Wisky.

I am very impressed by Stanford's offense, a very complex running game highlighted by great blocking and very patient runners. There was a play where they picked up 4th and 1 where they had 9 guys blocking, sent the FB right at the snap to get the backside pursuit and pulled the guard, the RB was very patient and picked up 4 yards. Most team send everything right at the middle and hope to push the runner past the marker. Stanford plays SMART power football and is confident enough to go for 4th and 1 up 14 in the 2nd Quarter.

Stanford controls both the offensive and defensive lines of scrimmage.... Iowa does neither. Stanford has a pass defense... Iowa doesn't. There you go. As a side note: when Iowa's defense is subpar as it is this year, the offense, IMO, has to pick up, but Ferentz still insists on a game manager's offense.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with the power football style .... it's just that with whatever style we attempt we still do not score enough points - basically this comes from the game management skills of our coach, and offensive play calling and also talent.

Stanford is 51st in the nation in score 31.4 and Iowa is 84th in the nation in scoring 25 pts.

Iowa's forever never ending problem is the inability to score points - especially in conference play.

Latest posts