Stanford Band Suspended

bitmap

No mention of the 2016 Rose Bowl or Iowa but glad to see this:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-stanford-band-suspended-20161209-story.html

Mostly because of off field liability surrounding reports of substance abuse. I take it they don't care about the on field irreverence but the lawyers are using risk management as the driving force behind the suspension to protect Stanford from the actions of a bunch of hammered Standford musicians.

They could have suspended them through 2018 but did not so, unfortunately, they will be back.

Likely, many if not most of them will take this as a red badge of courage.

Question, if California's succession bill passes and the US government does nothing to stop it would that mean that teams from California could no longer compete in the NCAA? I for one would not miss any of those teams. Stanford being among the programs I would miss the least.

Their schtick has even gotten old to Stanford grads. You can't beat the same old drum about being "nonconformist and controversial" and get away with it anymore. Somehow this tradition of being complete tools is reflecting on the university now...so they are cracking down.

Honestly though, 100% of the problem is that the band is student-run. What on earth do you guys expect from a bunch of drunk and high 19 year-olds who 1) have been handed the keys to a marching band with no oversight, and 2) know that everyone expects something shocking out of them? Apparently all of you guys stayed in your dorm rooms on Saturday nights and went to bed at 8:30?

All they need to do is bring somebody on board to run it. People are acting like Stanford has no power in this thing.

Last edited:
Anybody else think the timing is quite ironic? I mean suspended right before a bowl game. Hmm. Seems pretty calculated to me.

They Jumped the Shark. It was inevitable. Particularly when Ted McGinley's kid joined the band. ;)

It is absolutely amazing to me that Stanford University allows this to go on. My hate for Stanford is deep after their display at the Rose Bowl. If the Iowa band took the field and mocked some group close to the hearts of Stanford, we would never hear the end of it. The excuse that "they are just students, chill out" just doesn't cut it. Forget Iowa; the Ohio State or Michigan bands perform in a respectful, professional way and still blend humor into many of their halftime shows. The Stanford band, on the other hand, is full of hate and disrespect and they show it repeatedly.

They operate under an arrogant, ridiculous and unfair double standard.

It is absolutely amazing to me that Stanford University allows this to go on. My hate for Stanford is deep after their display at the Rose Bowl. If the Iowa band took the field and mocked some group close to the hearts of Stanford, we would never hear the end of it. The excuse that "they are just students, chill out" just doesn't cut it. Forget Iowa; the Ohio State or Michigan bands perform in a respectful, professional way and still blend humor into many of their halftime shows. The Stanford band, on the other hand, is full of hate and disrespect and they show it repeatedly.

This. Having a creative, outside-the-box band is one thing. But what the Stanford band does is Coastal, I'm better-and-smarter-than-you Millenial superiority complex at its finest. You might go to Stanford and might be on your way to riches and success, but no amount of money will change the fact that you're a smug, arrogant douchebag that takes pleasure in belittling people. Even worse, they have to hide behind their band to send their message. I would love to see any one of those band geeks read the transcipt of their halftime performance face-to-face man-to-man looking Josey Jewell in the eyes. ****ing cowards.

I can't say I'm particularly insulted by them. The concept of the whole thing has become pretty stale and the raunchy humor way too obvious. The problem with being something of a bad joke and roving drinking party is at some point that is all you are.

Did anyone ever get turned down to be in the Stanford band? On what basis? In the midst of their "nonconformity," I'll bet they have some interesting "rules" for who gets in and who doesn't. I find their form of "nonconformity" to be about as "conforming" as it can be.

It's pretty bad when ESECPN, who loathes the BIG 10, diverts the broadcasting of the band's performance. That's telling.