Stadium Capacities

Surprised Nebby doesn't really have a decent tailgating scene. Wisconsin as reported above as well. Been by Lincoln Memorial when in town but not in it.

Nebbie's stadium is a hodge podge of decades of expansions that they did not bother to blend together. It feels like you are in 3 different stadiums depending on where you are. Parking sucks and there is no tailgate scene of any note. If you are a Nebbie fan it is sort of like Wrigley Field. Its a dump, but its our historically significant dump. But for being a rival team, I have always been treated well at Memorial Stadium by the bugeater fans.
Fans are great - I go to that game every time it's in Lincoln. This description is spot on. They have all these nice tunnels that the players walk through, but to get to those tunnels, you have to take fucking wood planks that are held up by scaffolding. The first time I did it, I was like "oh, they must be renovating" but then went back two years later that same jank ass scaffold was there.

Fans are great - I go to that game every time it's in Lincoln. This description is spot on. They have all these nice tunnels that the players walk through, but to get to those tunnels, you have to take fucking wood planks that are held up by scaffolding. The first time I did it, I was like "oh, they must be renovating" but then went back two years later that same jank ass scaffold was there.
Ha Ha! Good one!

Surprised Nebby doesn't really have a decent tailgating scene. Wisconsin as reported above as well. Been by Lincoln Memorial when in town but not in it.
Yeah I was surprised as well the first time I went.

nebraska isn’t conducive to a fun tailgating atmosphere and neither are their fans. Part of it is that Lincoln is most butthole, boring town there is in the B1G by far. I mean, even Champaign is more exciting because you have to dodge bullets, crack dealers, and viral infections. They at least have something they’re famous for. Say what you want about Iowa City, but for a town its size there’s some history, culture, and some nightlife. Lincoln is just an armpit out in the middle of some sand hills with absolutely zero redeeming qualities.

Their fans tend to be mostly 50 and 60 somethings on the non-affluent side, and there’s no real place to tailgate.

I remember the first time I went and in one of Nebraska’s lots about the size of the Myrtle lot in IC there were maybe 50 people tops and it was about 2-3 hours before game time. It was nothing but Ed and Freda standing around eating donuts and drinking coffee, and I think I saw a couple kids playing bags but that was it. For all the hype that gets made up about football in that town they don’t back it up whatsoever.

Nebbie built its stadium hemmed in by an interstate, a major highway, campus and downtown. Its a dumb location. I have had to park on the other side of downtown. Parking is terrible and tailgating is a joke. Its a big stadium with loud, knowledgeable and Midwestern nice fans, but overall its a dump and not a great football experience until you get to your seats.

Great Post.

My two cents (# time attended):

Illinois (6)-depsite a home-side renovation, rest of stadium is a dump. Cattle smells from the south. Decent tailgating areas.

Indiana (4)--brown county is beautiful. Stadium is meh, been renovated and enlarged (why!?) Trip to and from was more eventful than then venue.

Maryland (1)--meh. Metra was an easy ride to the stadium. Not much to brag about inside.

Michigan (1)--huge. Impressive. Professonal venue complete with ushers. Tight seating. Golf carts running around to assist. Well run.

Michigan State (1)--land grant school, so lot of area to cover to get to the stadium. OK venue. Saw the Stanzi win there.

Minnesota (3)--as mentioned, easy in and out. They sold beer before anyone else. Nice digs.

Nebby (0)--never been. Have driven past it on a motorcycle trip. Looks like a crowded neighborhood.

Northwestern (8)--I actually like it. It is what it is. I rode the train from Great Lakes to Central Street station, walked a few blocks. Bars galore before and after. My home away from Kinnick.

Ohio State (3)--impressive. Intense fans. Upper decks go straight up. Parking sucks. Rude students. Heiny-gate was beyond compare.

Penn State (1)--actually drove the 13 hours from IC to watch. Big place but meh. Old in most places and hard to get out after the game.

Purdue (3)--meh. Saw the Long/Everrett game in 1985. Nothing really stands out.

Rutgers (1)--double meh. Small, no tradition. Fans had zero connection to the B1G. Fun area as NYC looms as a tourist trip

Wisconsin (4)--stadium rocks. Town rocks. Favorite party town. Hats off the them.

Kinnick (dozens)--still my favorite spot. Although don't understand why the train isn't running. Can't imagine the nightmare of trying to park close to the stadium.
I was at that Long/Everett game in 1985. I think I was in Junior High. Amazing game.

I actually thought MSU was pretty cool. Not terrible seats in that place, compared to some (like mich)

I have mixed feelings about Cramp Randall. I lived in Madison for 15 years. Went to that stadium many times. Fans are passionate. Great atmosphere for Iowa vs. Wisky game. Having said that, some of their wildly drunk fans can be aggressive, if not violent. I've seen some things there. I also think some of the seats in Cramp Randall suck. Have you been in a seat in the top corner of the upper deck in November with the wind blowing? You can barely see the field from there, and it's windy. And it sways. And that jump around thing (IMHO) was cool 20 years ago. Having said that, they have great teams and win a lot. It's a tough venue because the team is good. I think Kinnick holds noise better (even if our team is QB challenged). Lastly, Madison is a great city for many reasons.

Latest posts