Spring Practice Report - Via DJK's FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aka "you hurt my feelings"

Back up your silly statement with some statistics. Otherwise, you're guilty of talking out your azz.

(I'm not from a small town, and I'm not from Iowa...although I wish I was. A/K/A, no hurt feelings here.)

You're wrong, a huge metropolitan city has a lot more to offer as far as diversity and being exposed to different things than people who live in a farm town with 20 other white people.

They may be ignorant to a small populated farm town in Iowa, but they're less ignorant to a lot of other things than Joe Smith from Anamosa, IA.

Ivy's love smart people, regardless of where they come from.

iowahawkeyes89 -

Since when is saying "you're wrong" a viable arguing point?

First off, I agree that large metro areas CAN offer a lot with regard to diversity. However, my point WAS NOT that cities didn't have that to offer. My statement is that cities still produce FAR MORE insulated/isolated folks than rural areas do.

As but a simple point of evidence, Chicago State University serves south Chicago ... and it largely serves a black populace that often NEVER leaves the immediate area!

If you've ever visited Los Angeles ... despite all the great places that are within LA ... it's crazy the absolute LACK of community that exists there. There are many, many places there that you can clearly delineate simply by the ethnicity of the folks there. My sister once went to Korea-town to a specific liquor store in order to surprise her boyfriend at the time with a particular type of regional liquor. She is white ... and due to that fact alone, many cars stopped by her asking her if she was pawning sex just because, due to their experience, the only white gals there were prostitutes. Again ... an instance of lack of mixing.

Of course, it depends where you are. I found there to be a STARK difference between how blacks viewed whites in poor neighborhoods in LA versus poor neighborhoods in Austin, TX or even Houston. And, part of that also has to deal with the aforementioned "mixing" I had mentioned. Heck, even south Chicago, which surprised me concerning how little mixing there was there ... the blacks viewed whites quite differently than then did in LA.

Just remember, just because a city might offer such opportunity ... it doesn't mean that such opportunities are always exploited by the local populace.

iowahawkeyes89 -

While a lot of prejudice is due to ignorance ... simply experiencing diversity is NOT a silver bullet that necessarily frees folks from their ignorance. The ignorant mind still has to be willing to be open to change. Sometimes it takes a seemingly "impossible" event to force people to change their minds. For instance, many of friends, due to their own cultural "baggage" had long argued with me that they felt that they'd never see a black president in their life-time. I then quickly quipped that that "Obama-guy" who excited so many folks in the Democratic primary would likely pretty easily carry Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota if he were to ever run for president. I further quipped that it would be MUCH less likely for us to see a female president and even LESS likely for us to see a black female president.

Anyhow, my friends simply laughed me off ... not believing me. Years later I was obviously proven correct ... and it took the election of Obama to jolt my friends into the reality that white people really would help to vote a black man into office.

And yes, there are plenty of ignorant bigots out there who yap about "gheys" too ... who won't be freed from those shackles until possibly one of their kids gets the courage to come out of the closet. Of course, unfortunately for the child ... experiencing diversity doesn't imply change. It might just be that the bigot will simply disown their kid ....

Last edited:
You're wrong, a huge metropolitan city has a lot more to offer as far as diversity and being exposed to different things than people who live in a farm town with 20 other white people.

They may be ignorant to a small populated farm town in Iowa, but they're less ignorant to a lot of other things than Joe Smith from Anamosa, IA.

Ivy's love smart people, regardless of where they come from.

WTF, you're from Cedar Rapids. Homer is right. I wouldn't consider the TC's to be huge, but people are definitely cocooned in their own communities here.

Anyways, I love the fact that there almost seems to be a competition brewing between the backfield and the wideouts. I would love it if they both try to push each other. Then if Stanzi does, in fact, become the "Manzi" it could be a heck of a ride.

Anyways, I love the fact that there almost seems to be a competition brewing between the backfield and the wideouts. I would love it if they both try to push each other. Then if Stanzi does, in fact, become the "Manzi" it could be a heck of a ride.

Yeah, it will be fun to see which unit can end up being more productive for us ... the WRs or the RBs. I'm also curious about the TEs ... DJK needs to address that in his next entry.

Actually being from a small town would probably make you more likely to be unintelligent.

I'll gladly leave it.

For those of us from a small town, we would appreciate it if you did. No reason small town kids can't be intelligent, or understand social upbringings of those from large cities. Small town doesn't equal naive, and if you grew up in the ghetto, you could be naive to what was happening in the same city just blocks away if you never left your little slice of heaven.

For those of us from a small town, we would appreciate it if you did. No reason small town kids can't be intelligent, or understand social upbringings of those from large cities. Small town doesn't equal naive, and if you grew up in the ghetto, you could be naive to what was happening in the same city just blocks away if you never left your little slice of heaven.

Dead on farmer. I grew up and helped my grandfather on his farm as a child. Then grew up and lived in NYC, Toronto and many other large cities. People from the city who never leave the city are just as culpable for their ignorance as someone who never leaves the small town. One is not better or worse than the other.

True.
And since American society has been so flooded with all forms of media for so long, the argument that small towns are isolated or lacking in diversity is invalid.
Anyone with a computer, TV, and mail/newspaper del'y is equally in touch with the world, irrespective of local population density.

True.
And since American society has been so flooded with all forms of media for so long, the argument that small towns are isolated or lacking in diversity is invalid.
Anyone with a computer, TV, and mail/newspaper del'y is equally in touch with the world, irrespective of local population density.

Of course, just because the information is out there doesn't mean that either urban OR rural folks are parsing it with a critical eye ....

Of course, just because the information is out there doesn't mean that either urban OR rural folks are parsing it with a critical eye ....

Of course not, but the simple fact of routine info availability automatically negates the "small = isolated" statement. That just doesn't hold water in 2010, and it hasn't for decades.

Is your move to Lincoln all done yet??:)

So much arrogance and ******** in this thread. Really glad I wasted part of my life reading this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts