Spring Practice Report - Via DJK's FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks have to get off their lazy azzes and look it up.

finna = "fixin' to" or "going to"

It's urban slang.

And for those who complain about "why don't others speak normally" ... depending on where you live and your educational background, NORMAL is genuinely a relative term.

I have plenty of friends in the equivalent of Appalachia in maritime Canada ... and you'd probably have even more difficulty understanding them.

Heck, I urge people to read Pat Conroy's book "The Water is Wide" and read the dialect written there really quickly and see how well you can understand it.

Awwww how cute!!!! The old man coming to the rescue of his boyfriend! You guys are ADORABLE!!!

Oh, snap. You "pwned" me with that fireball of a comeback, Trav.
I love the constant ghey references, too. That is a hallmark of high intelliegence.

How about folks grow up here a little bit and appreciate the good news that DJK was sharing, eh?

Are we not all (for the most part) Hawk fans?

It's great news ... it sounds like the Iowa passing game will be capable of firing on all cylinders.

Of course, to temper enthusiasm ... the Iowa WRs are facing off against a group of safeties this spring who have yet to see a collegiate start ... so there's no small wonder that DJK is feeling kinda good about the Iowa passing attack.

I remember how stoked BOTH the Illini players and fans were about how good the Illini were looking at camp prior to the 2009 season ... and it turned out that part of the reason why the Illini O looked so good was because the Illini D was simply that bad (at least in the secondary).

Of course, there's no way that I'm finna put the Iowa D in the same category as the Illini D ... however, we should certainly be wary about overstating our passing game.

How old are you Vintage? Seriously. 12 year old avatar. Following people around on a message board. Find a hobby. Shuffleboard or something. I'm done wasting my time with you, and you probably have a lot less time left than I do. I suggest using it more wisely.

Folks have to get off their lazy azzes and look it up.

finna = "fixin' to" or "going to"

It's urban slang.

And for those who complain about "why don't others speak normally" ... depending on where you live and your educational background, NORMAL is genuinely a relative term.

I have plenty of friends in the equivalent of Appalachia in maritime Canada ... and you'd probably have even more difficulty understanding them.

Heck, I urge people to read Pat Conroy's book "The Water is Wide" and read the dialect written there really quickly and see how well you can understand it.

Thats because a lot of people in a rural state like Iowa, don't get out enough to understand these things.

I love all the replies. I was just being smart, and all of you take it literal. I'm not old, I'm 26. I don't live in a small town, I was raised there. If being from a small town mean that you want to sound intelligent, then sign me up to live in a small town.

Small town Iowa: Love it or Leave it!

How old are you Vintage? Seriously. 12 year old avatar. Following people around on a message board. Find a hobby. Shuffleboard or something. I'm done wasting my time with you, and you probably have a lot less time left than I do. I suggest using it more wisely.

I have a hobby: antagonizing you and laffing at your juvenile meathead responses.
You never disappoint!

Thats because a lot of people in a rural state like Iowa, don't get out enough to understand these things.

Precisely. However, that's not a bad thing. I could have lived my entire life without understanding what those types of things mean and be perfectly fine with it. Just not the way my life worked out.

Last edited:
I love all the replies. I was just being smart, and all of you take it literal. I'm not old, I'm 26. I don't live in a small town, I was raised there. If being from a small town mean that you want to sound intelligent, then sign me up to live in a small town.

Small town Iowa: Love it or Leave it!

Actually being from a small town would probably make you more likely to be unintelligent.

I'll gladly leave it.

iowahawkeyes89 and Travisam -

One issue here that you're not necessarily acknowledging is that there are even MORE folks who grow up in urban areas who rarely, if ever, even get out of their own neighborhood (let alone, their own city). Thus, they comprise a population that is every bit as isolated/insulated and ignorant as the rural folks who you're referencing.

The "ideal" of the urban environment is that there is a much greater diversity of folks there. However, the problem with the urban environment is that when you actually go to where people live ... the ethnicities cluster together. Frankly, there isn't nearly as much mixing in cities as there ought to be. And, in many cities, the very lack of mixing is what has fueled ethnic riots (e.g. some of the riots in the past in LA, Detroit, an Cincinnati, but to name a few).

And, while the "country bumpkins" might not get out of the rural locales as frequently as some might like. The flip side is that the public schools in the rural midwest are absolutely LIGHT YEARS ahead of most big-city schools (irrespective of whether they are private or public). I've heard on MANY, MANY occasions about how the "Ivy's love midwesterners" ... and it's not because they're supposedly so ignorant either!

iowahawkeyes89 and Travisam -

One issue here that you're not necessarily acknowledging is that there are even MORE folks who grow up in urban areas who rarely, if ever, even get out of their own neighborhood (let alone, their own city). Thus, they comprise a population that is every bit as isolated/insulated and ignorant as the rural folks who you're referencing.

The "ideal" of the urban environment is that there is a much greater diversity of folks there. However, the problem with the urban environment is that when you actually go to where people live ... the ethnicities cluster together. Frankly, there isn't nearly as much mixing in cities as there ought to be. And, in many cities, the very lack of mixing is what has fueled ethnic riots (e.g. some of the riots in the past in LA, Detroit, an Cincinnati, but to name a few).

And, while the "country bumpkins" might not get out of the rural locales as frequently as some might like. The flip side is that the public schools in the rural midwest are absolutely LIGHT YEARS ahead of most big-city schools (irrespective of whether they are private or public). I've heard on MANY, MANY occasions about how the "Ivy's love midwesterners" ... and it's not because they're supposedly so ignorant either!

You're wrong, a huge metropolitan city has a lot more to offer as far as diversity and being exposed to different things than people who live in a farm town with 20 other white people.

They may be ignorant to a small populated farm town in Iowa, but they're less ignorant to a lot of other things than Joe Smith from Anamosa, IA.

Ivy's love smart people, regardless of where they come from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts