Spring Position Outlook: Wide Receiver

Not many people have mentioned Ronald Nash, but it looks like he could be the next surprise on the roster. He had some good offers there, and is coming into a spot where he can make a difference. 21 catches in 1 game, impressive.

Not many people have mentioned Ronald Nash, but it looks like he could be the next surprise on the roster. He had some good offers there, and is coming into a spot where he can make a difference. 21 catches in 1 game, impressive.

I'm hoping there's good weather next friday for the Spring Practice at Valley West. Last year had great weather and was fun to watch. It's been a bit cooler this year to date so hopefully 2 weeks make a difference.

With a QB like CJ... get some of these guys onto the field...and THROW IT TO THEM.

Do it early, do it often. Give our Big Ten opponents something to think about and build some confidence in the young WRs.

Yes I hope for good weather too. I think one of the lesser appreciated receivers will make a lot of catches in the open spring practice, and later the spring game.

I'm hoping a couple of the young guys really step up. Be it Scheel, Falconer or Ogwu. I think Smith and Vandeberg will be leaned on heavily but at least 2 of those other 3 need to become players. I just have little to no faith that McCaron will have much of an impact. I think he'll just be in there on the heavy one wr sets as a blocker and that's about it like last yr. Not to mention TEs.. I'm sure Kittle will be great but he'll be a marked man out there too. He won't sneak up on anyone this year. So whether it's Outsey, Wisnewski or a freshman there's questions there too...

I'm hoping a couple of the young guys really step up. Be it Scheel, Falconer or Ogwu. I think Smith and Vandeberg will be leaned on heavily but at least 2 of those other 3 need to become players. I just have little to no faith that McCaron will have much of an impact. I think he'll just be in there on the heavy one wr sets as a blocker and that's about it like last yr. Not to mention TEs.. I'm sure Kittle will be great but he'll be a marked man out there too. He won't sneak up on anyone this year. So whether it's Outsey, Wisnewski or a freshman there's questions there too...

How awesome would it be if those guys all turned into studs and we had CJ throwing to them?

Anymore Wes Welkers out there? I always thought a Wes Welker type would be great to have on the team. Super quick with acceleration to find space & just sit down in space when needed as a safety net.

I suppose the QB & WR have to really be on the same page which often in College they may be limited to reading one side of the field or a couple reads. But, having a guy like that, that can find holes & get 12 catches a game would be so effective to put pressure on the D & move the chains.

Too bad they couldn't always find someone on the roster to play this role in the offense. Are you hearing me Greg Davis? Find this guy or manufacture it!!

Anymore Wes Welkers out there? I always thought a Wes Welker type would be great to have on the team. Super quick with acceleration to find space & just sit down in space when needed as a safety net.

I suppose the QB & WR have to really be on the same page which often in College they may be limited to reading one side of the field or a couple reads. But, having a guy like that, that can find holes & get 12 catches a game would be so effective to put pressure on the D & move the chains.

Too bad they couldn't always find someone on the roster to play this role in the offense. Are you hearing me Greg Davis? Find this guy or manufacture it!!
I think he's a product of the offense he was in as much as anything. What he did/could do in his prime is teachable. I think Parker would be a great fit for running quick routes out of the slot similar to that style. But again is it what Iowa likes to do? Not really...

Riley McCarron is the same size as Welker and was the state 100 meter champ while at Wahlert. I would think he could fill that role if it is available in this offense.

I think he's a product of the offense he was in as much as anything. What he did/could do in his prime is teachable. I think Parker would be a great fit for running quick routes out of the slot similar to that style. But again is it what Iowa likes to do? Not really...

The thing is, I wonder--especially seeing T Smith's pro-day 40 time--why we don't see more of GDs "horizontal" and "outside" passing stratagem. It's pretty low-risk, even for KF, and all it takes is one lane of daylight.

I get that Powell went down with a deep breath, but Parker seems to have a little more ability to stay on his feet, and he certainly has the speed needed.

We have one receiver returning with real experience, and he's a possession guy (a real good one).
And we're Iowa.
So I'm worried.

All I want to change in offensive play calling is to throw it deep once per quarter, just 4 times a game. Whether a high percentage are complete or not, it would really open up the run game and short passing game by getting the safeties out of the box. Keep the opposing team's DBs honest.

All I want to change in offensive play calling is to throw it deep once per quarter, just 4 times a game. Whether a high percentage are complete or not, it would really open up the run game and short passing game by getting the safeties out of the box. Keep the opposing team's DBs honest.

Precisely, if you hit one per game that is big, get a PI call and that helps, and if you get a 2nd deep catch that is 3 big plays per game we are not used to seeing (reference the CJ to TSMith 85 yard bomb in Big Champ Game).

Riley McCarron is the same size as Welker and was the state 100 meter champ while at Wahlert. I would think he could fill that role if it is available in this offense.

I thought McCarron would be used as a possession type receiver but Vandeberg just gobbled up that role along with TEs.

But I still think McCarron can be used well to get 20+ catches or about 2 big ones per game, short or long, as he has the speed. He sure had that great route and catch against ISU.

I hope CJ and McCarron are getting that same link that CJ has with Vandeberg

If CJ stays healthy we will see if they can try more 40+ yard passes per game and hit on a higher efficiency.

That groin injury/hernia had to really bother his deep throwing motion.

Let these young receivers run some underneath and deep combo routes, let CJ read it and throw darts.