Sporting News ranks the B1G coaches

FYI Sporting News Article was written 4 months ago in May.

Melvin Gordon in case you missed it got a hip flexor late in first half and his play had to be limited.

FYI, I was responding to Billso, whom I quoted.

He posted his list with Andersen at #3 at 1:43 PM on Monday September 1st.

Although I'm not a Ferentz hater, I have noticed the downfall of the program over the last few years and have held him accountable. That being said, that article is absolute ****. Kill above Ferentz? Anybody who puts Kill above Ferentz should be shot in the face with a large caliber bullet. Then somebody should go to Taco Bell and eat two Crunchwrap supremes. Three and a half hours later that person should hunker over the corpse and unleash hell upon the dead body.

My exact thoughts, gohawkz....

:rolleyes:

This is the worst article I have read in years. How many of those 1-8 coaches have won national coach of the year, won multiple big 10 championships, won a bcs bowl game, had 4 top 10 final national rankings, won multiple big 10 coach of the year, etc etc. And of the few that have done that much in the big 10 how many of those teams play felons on their roster, play dirty, are recruiting cheaters and such. As far as being an all around good coach that wins games, runs a classy program, and graduates players coach Ferentz is #1.

Very well said, Hawknick....

Wow. The thing I take away from his "analysis" is how his criteria changes from coach to coach... For some he values their past history... Others their recent history.... Others for what they'll maybe do in the future... Does anyone think Fitzgerald is 3rd on this list and an elite coach in the country?? I think he's good don't get me wrong but geez. And even that's not as crazy as putting Franklin right behind him. Ok so he won some games at Vandy how does that compare to Ferentzs resume? Not to mention Hoke and Kill... So Ferentzs record since the Orange bowl (how many other coaches on this list have been to one let alone two) is what drags him down?... I'm sorry Franklin has yet to do ANYTHING yet and this writer thinks he's that good blows my mind.... Maybe he will be eventually maybe not. But thats a prediction based on what school he's at now not his coaching so much. I'd like to see a list of how many NFL players have come out of each coaches programs... Without knowing I'm guessing Ferentz is maybe behind Meyer depending on how far back you go but that'd be it.

LIKE.....

It's kind of funny that you think Kirk is no. 9, that you decry the idea that he'd do better at another program with recruiting advantages, but seem to think it's perfectly reasonable that James Franklin is a better B1G coach even though he's never coached a B1G game. How's that not speculation?

Sound reasoning, Sam....

Iowa went 8-4 last year when guys like you were predicting much worse. That is an observation too. Iowa defeated Michigan and Nebraska, two teams that were ranked in the Top 25 at the beginning of the year.

I'll stick by Ferentz; Iowa is going to be very good this year, in his sixteenth year as the Iowa coach.

Why don't you relax big fellah and enjoy the ride. Taking shots at Ferentz after an 8-4 season rings hollow.

Chillax and enjoy the ride, Alright.....

By the time KF is at the end of his contract, he probably will be about 30+ in salary rank, about his avg in team ranking overall. See, it all works out.

I see him as about 5-6 in the B1G, maybe as high as 4. But I am a KF fan/apologist. Overall, I like how the guy rolls

I feel the same way, HW.....

From the article;

"Depending on whom you talk to, Ferentz is the most overpaid coach in the game or a guy who earns every nickel considering what he’s working with. Since I don’t begrudge any coach making market value, I’ll focus on the field: since the Orange Bowl season of 2009 (where he cashed in with a 10-year deal), Ferentz’s teams are 27-24, 15-17 in the Big Ten and 4-11 vs. ranked teams."

Yes he has some what struggled in the past five years but you have to take his entire body of work into consideration. Now if we bomb this season it's not going to pretty for him. I will still stick with my 10-2 prediction IF he makes necessary corrections and IF we can avoid major injuries to key players.

I noticed that Wisconsin has the same advantage as we do with having all the Big Boys off of their Big Ten schedule this year. Let's hope their QB doesn't get his game together before they come into Iowa City. He looked terrible in the second half against LSU.

Kirk is the third best coach at Iowa, approaching Hayden as time goes on. Forest Evashevski was the very best with two Rose Bowl wins and the Hawks finishing number one in 1958 by the Football Writers Association of America. They finished number two in the other polls behind LSU. He and Woody Hayes hated each other, coming to blows at the preseason conference meeting.....

Jack: If you don't quit making good sense with your posts, you will undoubtedly be banned from this board. The pressure is now directly on you...

Several coaches on that list are unproven in the Big Ten and seem to be given extra credit for coaching successes at lower levels.

When things go Ferentz' way (players develop beyond their recruiting rankings, don't get hurt, and stay out of trouble), success happens and he looks like a genius.

But as we've all seen, success like this can be fleeting, and when the wheels start to come off Capt. Kirk has no backup plan. He can rebuild a program much better than he can maintain one.

Having said that, I'd put Kirk at 4th or 5th on that list.

Latest posts