Sporting News ranks the B1G coaches

Franklin ahead of Ferentz baffles me a little. Franklin has only beaten 4 teams with a winning record as a head coach. He's a great recruiter but so was Zook.

Franklin is a joke. Fitz pummeled his squad and so what did Franklin do? Well he canceled the remainder of the series, of course! Vandy also backed out of a scheduled trip to Columbus. Blamed it on realignment of the SEC, but I ain't buying it. It reminds me of when Mizzou scheduled Iowa back when we were awful and then as soon as we got good, boom, cancellation letter.

Fitz ought to be near the top and so should Ferentz. They are the two longest tenured guys in the conference (in an era where expectations are absurdly high for everyone and turnover is common) and sure, they aren't world beaters year in and year out, but based on what they have to work with, they're both damn good coaches who have fielded teams that while they sometimes come up short, are pretty competitive with just about everyone in the conference every week.

If this upcoming season is a very successful one for KF then maybe the tide is turning. If it is another 6-6 regular season then it should be his last I expect a positive impression after this next season and as always wish the best for the coaching staff, players, and Iowa fans.

As much as Iowans like to state we have such a disadvantage against schools like Mich and OSU, (recruiting, facilities, money, etc etc), imagine being at NU and having obvious disadvantages against *every* other B1G school.

Based upon that alone, Fitz deserves at least equal footing with KF.

I'd put Dantonio as #1, UM as #2...then 3-6 sort of jumbled. (KF, Fitz, Pelini, Kill).

I think the one thing the article may show is what some outside our boarders are thinking... if so, it doesn't help recruiting. Ferentz is Mr. Consistency. I can live with that.

Fact is Ferentz continues to get dinged because he is overpaid.

I would have KF #7 ahead of Franklin and Kill.

we do not know what we will get from Gary Anderson and Brady Hoke is on the verge of getting fired i say move KF up to 6th maybe even 5th.

How "over paid" is Ferentz now anyway? He's been passed over many times hasn't he? Saban is making almost double him. Is Ferentz still in the top 10? If a school like Iowa is to even remotely try and play with the big boys they have to pay their coaches and keep investing in the facilities. It's keeping up with the Joness. your either keeping up or falling behind. Iowa is at least trying. And it's not like they can't afford it. Those same fans crying about how much he's paid would be crying if they were paying less for someone not half as good yet could afford more. If they would have lost Ferentz to the NFL or fired him due to the expectation level of a vocal minority part of the fan base a few years ago I doubt many of us would like what we'd be seeing today. How many schools have had a smooth transition when having made a coaching change recently? Schools such as TN USC Michigan all took steps back and haven't exactly gotten back to where they'd like. Auburn is a mixed bag but going strait up now with what they've had happen between before hiring Chizek and now Malzon. Texas will be one to keep an eye on. Also time will tell with schools like Wisconsin PSU and even Arkansas...

By the time KF is at the end of his contract, he probably will be about 30+ in salary rank, about his avg in team ranking overall. See, it all works out.

I see him as about 5-6 in the B1G, maybe as high as 4. But I am a KF fan/apologist. Overall, I like how the guy rolls

How can a coach who never coached a game in the B1G be ranked that high? And Fitz #3? Kill has done nothing extraordinary at his time at Minnesota. Anderson had a good year at Wisc last year but not the resume of KF. BP speaks for himself. KF should be in the 4-7 range. Winning consistently at Iowa is much more difficult than doing it at tOSU/Mich/MSU and even tho KF isn't as good as those coaches doing what he has done over his entire career here is impressive. Joke article

The correct answer:

#1 Dantonio
#2 UM
#3 Andersen
#4 Ferentz
#5 Pelini
#6 Fitzgerald

I admire what Fitz does with one hand tied behind his back at Northwestern, but his all-time BIG record is 27-37 vs. 64-56 for Ferentz. C'mon.

p.s. Dantonio/UM are also #1-2 on the SleazeOMeter

How can you have Andersen that high after the LSU game the other night? I have never seen such a terrible QB unseat an incumbent that led his team to a 9-4 record the prior year.

Also, whar Melvin Gordon after halftime the other night?

Andersen was either drunk during the game or is an idiot.

Dumb article.

Seriously, I think Ferentz would win BIG at Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska. He has won 60% of his games at Iowa, very close to Hayden's winning percentage in a tougher league with Nebraska and Penn State in it.

I also think Pelini is a downright bad coach and Fitzgerald is overrated and does nothing but blow leads in the 4th quarter.

Hoke? What has he done?

Give me a break

Disagree. Ferentz is too risk-averse to win at those schools, even with all the talent and money he would have available to him. With his comfort zone, he is a perfect fit at a school where the fan-, and especially the donor base, view 8-4 and even 7-5 as a pretty good season.

In Columbus or Ann Arbor or even Lincoln, the expectations are higher.

How he is ranked, and by whom and during what year means nothing to me. My food tastes the same regardless. I have nothing further to add to this discussion.

From the article;

"Depending on whom you talk to, Ferentz is the most overpaid coach in the game or a guy who earns every nickel considering what he’s working with. Since I don’t begrudge any coach making market value, I’ll focus on the field: since the Orange Bowl season of 2009 (where he cashed in with a 10-year deal), Ferentz’s teams are 27-24, 15-17 in the Big Ten and 4-11 vs. ranked teams."

Yes he has some what struggled in the past five years but you have to take his entire body of work into consideration. Now if we bomb this season it's not going to pretty for him. I will still stick with my 10-2 prediction IF he makes necessary corrections and IF we can avoid major injuries to key players.

I noticed that Wisconsin has the same advantage as we do with having all the Big Boys off of their Big Ten schedule this year. Let's hope their QB doesn't get his game together before they come into Iowa City. He looked terrible in the second half against LSU.

How can you have Andersen that high after the LSU game the other night? I have never seen such a terrible QB unseat an incumbent that led his team to a 9-4 record the prior year.

Also, whar Melvin Gordon after halftime the other night?

Andersen was either drunk during the game or is an idiot.

FYI Sporting News Article was written 4 months ago in May.

Melvin Gordon in case you missed it got a hip flexor late in first half and his play had to be limited.

Latest posts