Sporting News ranks the B1G coaches

I honestly thought Sporting News folded. Are they worse or equal to bleacherreport.?

Dumb article.

Seriously, I think Ferentz would win BIG at Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska. He has won 60% of his games at Iowa, very close to Hayden's winning percentage in a tougher league with Nebraska and Penn State in it.

I also think Pelini is a downright bad coach and Fitzgerald is overrated and does nothing but blow leads in the 4th quarter.

Hoke? What has he done?

Give me a break

Dumb article.

Seriously, I think Ferentz would win BIG at Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska. He has won 60% of his games at Iowa, very close to Hayden's winning percentage in a tougher league with Nebraska and Penn State in it.

I also think Pelini is a downright bad coach and Fitzgerald is overrated and does nothing but blow leads in the 4th quarter.

Hoke? What has he done?

Give me a break

Very good synopsis. They actually had Jerry Kill ahead of Ferentz, that is strange. 2012 was an out of the norm year. If KF had his best coaches with him at OSU, Mich or PSU he would be awesome.

He would still putz away one game a year with some goofy decision but he would be winning big 10 championships.

Although I'm not a Ferentz hater, I have noticed the downfall of the program over the last few years and have held him accountable. That being said, that article is absolute ****. Kill above Ferentz? Anybody who puts Kill above Ferentz should be shot in the face with a large caliber bullet. Then somebody should go to Taco Bell and eat two Crunchwrap supremes. Three and a half hours later that person should hunker over the corpse and unleash hell upon the dead body.

I realize Kirk deserves some of his criticizms, and I know this is subjective, but seriously...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...rk-dantonio-james-franklin-brady-hoke#slide/1

I'd say No. 9 is about right. Ferentz does a mediocre job considering his tenure and seeming job stability in Iowa City. But that apparently is enough for the major part of the Hawkeye fan base. For those who are butthurt about this, who would you put him ahead of on this list? Srsly.

This is the worst article I have read in years. How many of those 1-8 coaches have won national coach of the year, won multiple big 10 championships, won a bcs bowl game, had 4 top 10 final national rankings, won multiple big 10 coach of the year, etc etc. And of the few that have done that much in the big 10 how many of those teams play felons on their roster, play dirty, are recruiting cheaters and such. As far as being an all around good coach that wins games, runs a classy program, and graduates players coach Ferentz is #1.

I'd say No. 9 is about right. Ferentz does a mediocre job considering his tenure and seeming job stability in Iowa City. But that apparently is enough for the major part of the Hawkeye fan base. For those who are butthurt about this, who would you put him ahead of on this list? Srsly.

Certainly Kill, probably Pelini and possibly Hoke. The latter two based on their ratio of talent + name-brand to performance. It's tough to accept how ho-hum the program really is and infuriating to lose 1 or 2 games to lesser opponents, every year, but there's never any excuse for Michigan and Nebraska to win fewer than 8 or 9 games.

Based on those things you expect from a coach -- motivation, winning strategy, personnel fits the scheme, utilizing talent, adaptation, attacking opponent's weaknesses, player development -- there's no way he's better than the top 5. He does ok with what he has to work with and somewhere around 6th-7th (out of 14) is about the consistent ceiling for his peformance.

Although I'm not a Ferentz hater, I have noticed the downfall of the program over the last few years and have held him accountable. That being said, that article is absolute ****. Kill above Ferentz? Anybody who puts Kill above Ferentz should be shot in the face with a large caliber bullet. Then somebody should go to Taco Bell and eat two Crunchwrap supremes. Three and a half hours later that person should hunker over the corpse and unleash hell upon the dead body.

Sounds like you've put some serious thought into your methods.:eek:

Lol @ Kill, Hoke, Pelini.

Also.. everyone is ok with Fitz @ #3? What has Fitz done?

****, Andersen and Franklin aren't really proven yet either.

Just an article, but it certainly gave me a giggle.

Wow. The thing I take away from his "analysis" is how his criteria changes from coach to coach... For some he values their past history... Others their recent history.... Others for what they'll maybe do in the future... Does anyone think Fitzgerald is 3rd on this list and an elite coach in the country?? I think he's good don't get me wrong but geez. And even that's not as crazy as putting Franklin right behind him. Ok so he won some games at Vandy how does that compare to Ferentzs resume? Not to mention Hoke and Kill... So Ferentzs record since the Orange bowl (how many other coaches on this list have been to one let alone two) is what drags him down?... I'm sorry Franklin has yet to do ANYTHING yet and this writer thinks he's that good blows my mind.... Maybe he will be eventually maybe not. But thats a prediction based on what school he's at now not his coaching so much. I'd like to see a list of how many NFL players have come out of each coaches programs... Without knowing I'm guessing Ferentz is maybe behind Meyer depending on how far back you go but that'd be it.

I was going to rate the top 10 sports news organizations, but after much thought, I determined that none of them are worth ranking.

Dumb article.

Hoke? What has he done?

Give me a break

Speculation, only, and my guess is he'd do about the same as he does at Iowa. Ferentz simply does not have the "killer" instinct to be a great coach at a football powerhouse. He regularly gets out-coached by other HCs in the upper half of the B1G, including the purple Patty. Nothing makes me think he'd do any better at a place like Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State or Nebby.

Speculation, only, and my guess is he'd do about the same as he does at Iowa. Ferentz simply does not have the "killer" instinct to be a great coach at a football powerhouse. He regularly gets out-coached by other HCs in the upper half of the B1G, including the purple Patty. Nothing makes me think he'd do any better at a place like Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State or Nebby.

Because Ferentz beating and out coaching Pelini last yr doesn't count?? Doesn't Ferentz have a winning record against Michigan? NW and OSU we've struggled with for sure I'll give you that. But seriously if Ferentz was at OSU I think he'd do just fine there. He's way more of a players coach then many think. If he could get the pick of the litter in recruiting year in and year out he'd own the BIG. Kids not only love him but respect him. Why is it so so many of the former Hawks that are now in the NFL or even retired come back as often as they do? It's not for the weather... I doubt former OSU Michigan Nebby or MSU players have the same relationship with their school and coaches that Ferentz and Iowa does. Having the chance to attend their coaches clinic a couple weeks ago allowed me the chance to see that up close.

Who would I have him ahead of? Depends on the criteria for the list.

Is it projection for the next few seasons (appears to be the criteria for Franklin and Anderson and likely Kill)? I think we can all agree that with the shape of the program, the future looks pretty bright.

If it's the immediate past (mentions KirFer's 2012 record) then look at Dantonio's 2012 disappointment or Fitz's fall last season.

If it's overall career success (appears to be the criteria for Kill, Anderson, Pelini, Meyer,), I'd say KirFer's stacks up pretty well.

If it's the ability to do more with less (appears to be the criteria for Fitz), then let's not forget KirFer and that moniker have been synonymous for much of his career.

If the ranking is because KirFer has under produced, then let's drop Hoke down the list too.

What's that? Loses games he shouldn't? Ok... Let's drop Bo down the list as well.

So, yeah... There could be a reshuffle of the list.

It's kind of funny that you think Kirk is no. 9, that you decry the idea that he'd do better at another program with recruiting advantages, but seem to think it's perfectly reasonable that James Franklin is a better B1G coach even though he's never coached a B1G game. How's that not speculation?

Latest posts