Spiking the ball in the 1st half

Maroons19

I continue to believe this was incredibly stupid clock management and completely wasted a down at the end of the first half deep in NW territory. I sure would have liked to have one more play to run before having to settle for the fieldgoal. That 4 points we potentially left off the board turned out to be big. No reason to spike in that situation - 2 timeouts - deep in NW territory, clocked stopped for the teams to set up, etc. Just dumb. Come to think of it, do we even have the ability for the QB to call a play from the line of scrimmage in a hurry up situation? We just came out of a timeout on a 4th down play, so how do we seriously not have the next play called coming out of it? Is it that hard to call two plays in the huddle in the college game?

Why would you expect the staff to learn how to run a 2 minute drill after 11 years of not running it well???

The coaches need to have a serious pow wow and figure some things out. I can not believe that this Iowa staff has been this bad in almost all aspects of coaching this year. Spike the ball with 2 timeouts? Worse off not even using them?

Yes - they even cut to Kirk and he was signaling for the O to spike it.

But really it took a total team effort to mess it up - if Reisner just cuts OB, no need to do either (spike it or call time out) - he basically gained 1 extra yard.

If he was fighting for the pylon, or if he made a cut back to gain 5-10 yards, I can see it. I hate to rag on kids who are fighting hard. Really probably more the coaching on the 2 minute drill - even though DJK did allright at the end of the game getting OB.

Reisner not getting out of bounds was stupid, I agree. But I continue to wonder if these things are discussed by the staff. We just came out of a timeout. How does Reisner not know to get out of bound. Either the coaches told him and he just got caught up in the moment, or no one told him so the thought never entered his mind. The latter is unexcusable, but how else can we continue to explain the stupid clock management.

I continue to believe this was incredibly stupid clock management and completely wasted a down at the end of the first half deep in NW territory. I sure would have liked to have one more play to run before having to settle for the fieldgoal. That 4 points we potentially left off the board turned out to be big. No reason to spike in that situation - 2 timeouts - deep in NW territory, clocked stopped for the teams to set up, etc. Just dumb. Come to think of it, do we even have the ability for the QB to call a play from the line of scrimmage in a hurry up situation? We just came out of a timeout on a 4th down play, so how do we seriously not have the next play called coming out of it? Is it that hard to call two plays in the huddle in the college game?

I would of thought that after the ineptness of the 2 minute drill the past several weeks that something like this would not have occurred either. The 7 points was crucial at that point and obviously for the game.

Time outs left on clock...unbelievable...But...then there was the second half. Of which for the most part, the 2-minute drill was so-so. It could of been better, but then at least we had that "shot" at the endzone (even if we should of been just throwing for the first down..

Yep - it completely baffles me how this coaching staff can be so idiotic when it comes to clock management. For those that were thinking that Ferentz was covering for someone in the Wisconsin game with the poor clock management, look no further than the camera shot of Ferentz motioning to spike the ball yesterday. Ridiculous.

I would of thought that after the ineptness of the 2 minute drill the past several weeks that something like this would not have occurred either. The 7 points was crucial at that point and obviously for the game.

Time outs left on clock...unbelievable...But...then there was the second half. Of which for the most part, the 2-minute drill was so-so. It could of been better, but then at least we had that "shot" at the endzone (even if we should of been just throwing for the first down..

I wouldn't say the second half was so-so. Why do we have Robinson running a route in the middle of the field five yards short of the first down? And then Stanzi actually throws the ball to him. Looked exactly like the Wisconsin game.

Also - why on the last play do we have everyone running to the end zone? There was time to get a first down and spike it yet we have three guys that have their routes in the end zone. I don't get it.

I just dont see why in this day and age we can't signal a play ready or have another play called instead of spiking the ball after a first down. But yes, having 2 timeouts on the board at the end of the first half while giving away a down was disgusting though. Horrible.

Very, very bad clock management. Reisner not getting out of bounds was not a problem at all. Not with two time outs in your pocket, and a clock stoppage for a first down mark.

The fact that Iowa, and basically KF, cannot figure the two minute drill out, is an indication of the kind of detail that has not been addressed all year, starting with special teams play on down.

My suggestion to the coaching staff? Drown your egos and bring in Tom Moore (former Offensive Coordinator Indianapolis Colts, current Offensive Consultant Colts, Iowa '58), and let him break down the formulaic patterns for you. I've heard Peyton Manning discuss the need for mental preparation and the observance of formulaic patterns in doing this... there is no one better running the two minute offense in the NFL right now, and he learned everything he knows from Tom Moore.

Use your resources.

this ineptitude with clock management is probably what's causing me to doubt this coaching staff..love Ferentz but how do you not correct this after 12 years ? as a head coach..Tate's magical pass to Holloway was ad libbing a bad clock management by Ferentz lest we forget

The fact that Iowa, and basically KF, cannot figure the two minute drill out, is an indication of the kind of detail that has not been addressed all year, starting with special teams play on down.

I think after the Wisconsin game, they realized they should have spiked the ball at the end of the game. At that point they went back to practice and really worked hard on it. They didn't get to spike it during the Indiana game and Kirk seeing that another half was close to ending without a spike, he had Stanzi do it just to show everyone what they had learned. I have to admit, Stanzi's form was perfect.

On a serious note, it is a complete joke that this team continues to have no idea how to manage the clock and run a two minute drill. Let's not forget the Capital One bowl where they were bailed out by a great pass and catch as the clock ran out with timeouts left.

I think after the Wisconsin game, they realized they should have spiked the ball at the end of the game. At that point they went back to practice and really worked hard on it. They didn't get to spike it during the Indiana game and Kirk seeing that another half was close to ending without a spike, he had Stanzi do it just to show everyone what they had learned. I have to admit, Stanzi's form was perfect.

Whats depressing is that you are joking but it might actually be true.

You're not used to that by now? It's part of The System(TM)

Latest posts