Spencer Petras

Honestly I don’t watch the NFL anymore and could care less how many former hawks are holding clipboards. Nor do I think any college coach is sitting there thinking I think we’ll pass on a Brad Banks because he won’t amount to shit at the next level. Our receivers are getting open too and Petras can’t hit them. Like I said I’ve seen this all before.
My point is I don't think
Honestly I don’t watch the NFL anymore and could care less how many former hawks are holding clipboards. Nor do I think any college coach is sitting there thinking I think we’ll pass on a Brad Banks because he won’t amount to shit at the next level. Our receivers are getting open too and Petras can’t hit them. Like I said I’ve seen this all before.
My point is I don't think Iowa's QB development has actually been that bad. Far more issues lie with poor recruiting and development at the WR and RB position along with an outdated, inconsistent run scheme (although this year's version has been much better).

Just saw a stat that Tampa Bay Bucs and I assume Brady have 22 straight incompletions on long passes, the TV stat read 'deep throws' but I am not sure what that means like >30 or >35 yards.

But that is friggin Tom Brady so let's hold off on the Petras' long bomb inefficiency up to now. Maybe deep post patterns where the receiver is running at an angle would let Petras gauge and lead the receiver better.

It would take Iowa 5 seasons to attempt 22 deep passes.

Brady is struggling in the Tampa system. They have no running game and teams are dropping their safeties deep. Throw in QB pressure and Brady can’t do anything.

It’s like the opposite of Iowa. Teams stack the box and dare Iowa to complete a pass longer than than 30 yards.

It would be easier for Iowa to complete these deep passes since they’re being dared to

He doesn't deserve slack. Who is responsible for recruiting Petras, and continuing to play him? The Ferentz boys that's who. Wisconsin will have petras curled up in a ball sucking his thumb by halftime.
You do realize, of course, that Ken O'Keefe recruited him (well, maybe I shouldn't add "of course"). Yes, the "continuing to play him" is all on Kirk and Brian. And he's making mistakes like a typical first year starter.

No need to panic with Petras, we'll just add the dual threat QB who entered the transfer portal from VT........who by the way had visited Iowa and was offered. At least he would be a replacement with some game experience :)

I hope it's an open competition next yr. Both the Padilla kid and Hogan have some pretty high pedigree coming out of HS. I have a tough time believing that either of them couldn't do what Petras has. Maybe they can't do the QB sneaks quite as well. But as far as running the offense and passing goes...

I think his main problem is when he went to the Peyton Manning camp they have him moving around so much in the pocket with his feet he never gets in a good position to drive the ball to his target

I also don’t think he looks comfortable. I think he is athletic enough but needs more confidence. I think they need to run more rollout/sprint out plays to allow him to move with the stupid pocket footwork but it also gives him the ability to throw or run. Also to build some confidence.

He started the game fine but went downhill fast. With how ivory and Goodson catch the ball we need to use them in the pass game as an extension of the run game.

All that said if he does not improve this week they have to get Padilla in for a few series. We could have another Stanzi/JC situation on our hands

I'm incredibly surprised and disappointed with Petras' lack of fundamentals in the pocket. And beyond the stereotypes, "he stares down receivers", "he isn't that fast or he's not that athletic", "he doesn't have a great pocket presence"... I want to specifically talk about his footwork and pre-throw mechanics. We've all heard a ton about his arm strength, which is awesome. But after watching these opening 6 games, it's obvious that he's gotten away with a naturally strong arm his entire life. I realize he played big time HS football and put up some amazing numbers. But he must have gotten away with poor footwork in HS too.

Watching him throw rocket passes low at receivers' feet, high over their heads, behind them, etc., it's clear that he doesn't have consistent footwork. And that's really surprising to me, because I assumed that Petras was a fundamentally sound passer. But his footwork is simply not there yet. And for a 3rd year program guy, that's been groomed for this role, that's really surprising to me.

I also think it is fair to say that he has had balls dropped which should have been caught. I also think it is fair to say that with the exception of a few younger QBs the Iowa play calling doesn’t always play to the strengths of the player.

the coaches want the QB to be able to do things he isn’t great at or well experienced at. Is it a possibility they are giving Petras too much? I think there were times Stanley’s junior year they did that. Do they need to dumb it down a little with easier reads and routes to build the confidence?

Listen...I know opinions are like assholes, everyone got one...but people need to just relax a little with Petras. He's 4-2...and we could have won the other two if our backs don't fumble twice at Purdue...and if we have a better game plan against NW. He wasn't the sole reason we lost those games.

He's played 6 games. Hell, I remember when Stanzi started his second year...we escaped UNI, he threw pick sixes in the next few games...and I think at one point he was leading the country in interceptions...yet our defense WON games for him early.

I rewatched the Nebraska game. He played really well early in that game...and he also made plays late. Not difficult plays mind you...but he got us to the point where we had a chance to go up two scores and ice the game. Let the kid grow up...cut him some slack.

If he was playing poorly all the time...i'd have a different take...but he's showing progress and has made some nice throws and decisions. Obviously...he's had a few poor series too...but he's starting to get more comfortable.

No need to panic with Petras, we'll just add the dual threat QB who entered the transfer portal from VT........who by the way had visited Iowa and was offered. At least he would be a replacement with some game experience :)

Collateral damage for Cordell Pemsl? :p

Agree/disagree.
Petras needs to relax back there and trust his O-line. Does seem like I saw panic in his eyes a few time.
Padilla should get some snaps, if for no other reason than if Petras got the vi rus, he'd be more ready.
Iowa receivers dropped 4 passes, 2 by Brandon Smith. Others were catchable, but slightly off target. Add those in and Petras was 22 for 32 and add 40 more passing yards also.
Just my opinion, but I think next year he will terrorize the rest of the league!
Go Hawks!

Listen...I know opinions are like assholes, everyone got one...but people need to just relax a little with Petras. He's 4-2...and we could have won the other two if our backs don't fumble twice at Purdue...and if we have a better game plan against NW. He wasn't the sole reason we lost those games.

He's played 6 games. Hell, I remember when Stanzi started his second year...we escaped UNI, he threw pick sixes in the next few games...and I think at one point he was leading the country in interceptions...yet our defense WON games for him early.

I rewatched the Nebraska game. He played really well early in that game...and he also made plays late. Not difficult plays mind you...but he got us to the point where we had a chance to go up two scores and ice the game. Let the kid grow up...cut him some slack.

If he was playing poorly all the time...i'd have a different take...but he's showing progress and has made some nice throws and decisions. Obviously...he's had a few poor series too...but he's starting to get more comfortable.
Yeah the thing about Petras to me is it feels like the winning is covering up for his play and how he's just plain looked overall. Flip that record to 2-4 with his stats and play having been the same what would we be saying? His play has honestly had little to do with our winning and losing. The team has won despite him not because of him. BF is fortunate that the winning has taken place frankly because that's not what folks should expect of a kid that's in yr 3 of the program. Sure it's 2020 no spring practice and all that's gone on with this crazy year and that's all 100% legit. But his fundamentals that IowaTeddy brought up are bad. He's all over the place accuracy wise. The best throws he's made are the strait sideways ones where it's a quick drop and fire without any reading going on. And the couple of jump balls to Brandon Smith those were perfect too (why we don't do more of those is beyond me) But any drop back or PA rolling out play he's had is a total crap shoot on if he'll make the right read to begin with and throw it on time and accurate.

Everyone was so hyped about that catch by Beyer (which was amazing by him) but it was a terrible throw to a wide open TE going up the seam. He hits him in stride and he'd have gained 20 plus more yards. The only reason I'm kinda railing on the kid is because we've seen 6 games now. We have a fairly large sample size of consistently inconsistent poor play. Folks were calling for Jake Christiensen to be benched earlier then 6 games if I'm not mistaken and that's because his issues one could tell weren't going to be corrected. I'm not so sure if Petras's can be but how much time is 'fair'?

I don't think what he's done this year entitles him to be entrenched as #1 going into next yr. I hope it's a strait up open competition and let's see where the chips fall if we can have something close to a more 'normal' off season of practice/spring ball. I'm pretty intrigued with Hogan but both Padilla and he had high credentials coming out so may the best man win it.

I cannot think of one good reason not to have competition for the QB spot this spring. I would wager that the coaches will make that clear. If Petras wins, he wins. The coaches will know who is the best bet.

Let's hope we see some improvement Saturday, might need it with Illinois on the rise. I honestly don't think I can say I have seen any improvement (other than less velocity on the ball) in the 6 games so far, which should be happening pretty rapidly from where he has started. Dropped balls are part of every QB's game, so cherry picking those out of his stats is cheating it. Everyone can see his accuracy is bad, including O'Keefe. I am certain that footwork and throwing mechanics are being worked on, as well as the psychological part of the game. If he cannot respond in one season it doesn't look good for his future. Hard to believe he broke Jared Goff's records, but high school is high school, and what you do at one level many time doesn't translate so great into the next level. All that said I still have much hope for him, he has size, he has some tools, and he's an Iowa QB.

Objectively…how does Petras compare to other B10 QB’s so far this season?
  • Petras QBR (107.7) is 13th in the B10.
  • Petras has 4 passing TDs / 5 INT. Every B10 QB ahead of him in the QBR has more or equal TD’s than INT
  • “first year starters” in the rankings:
    Mertz (WI-Fresh) is 3rd with a QBR of 150.3
    Tagovailoa (MD-Soph) is 4th with a QBR of 138.5
    Milton (MI-Jun) is 9th with a QBR of 124.6
    Petras (IA-Soph) is 13th with a QBR of 107.7
    McCaffrey (NE-Fresh) is 14th with a QBR of 107.6
Grading on the curve he would seem to be ‘below average’.
I hate to think this is the best we have.

source: https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../group/5/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

Last edited:

According to the PFF grading system.........YTD rankings:

Offense​

QB Spencer Petras: 115th of 128
RB Tyler Goodson: 81st of 170
WR Brandon Smith: 299th of 370
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette: 360th of 370
TE Shaun Beyer: 3rd of 157
TE Sam LaPorta: 40th of 157
C Tyler Linderbaum: 1st of 124
G Cole Banwart: 12th of 254
G Cody Ince: 45th of 254
T Alaric Jackson: 64th of 272
T Mark Kallenberger: 92nd of 272

One could make a case for his performance holding back some degree of performance of all skill positions including Goodson & Sargent who will likely face opponents now loading the box.

Here's to hoping we see improvement in our QB this weekend.

• Petras has 4 passing TDs / 5 INT. Every B10 QB ahead of him in the QBR has more or equal TD’s than INT

source: https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../group/5/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc
Yet, there are only three QBs ahead of him in wins.

A couple of thoughts. Stats can provide an incomplete picture. Milton has been... a QB who has been pulled because he can't win games.

According to the PFF grading system.........YTD rankings:

Offense​

QB Spencer Petras: 115th of 128
RB Tyler Goodson: 81st of 170
WR Brandon Smith: 299th of 370
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette: 360th of 370
TE Shaun Beyer: 3rd of 157
TE Sam LaPorta: 40th of 157
C Tyler Linderbaum: 1st of 124
G Cole Banwart: 12th of 254
G Cody Ince: 45th of 254
T Alaric Jackson: 64th of 272
T Mark Kallenberger: 92nd of 272

One could make a case for his performance holding back some degree of performance of all skill positions including Goodson & Sargent who will likely face opponents now loading the box.

Here's to hoping we see improvement in our QB this weekend.
He started poorly and had an excellent game. 3 TDs (four total previously), no INTs. He was a big part of the win today. I STILL agree with people that there should be an open competition for QB in the spring, but one can kinda see what the coaches were thinking today, right? 35 unanswered points, bitches. He may or may not be the guy of the future, but he played very well today. 5 wins in a row in conference isn't a walk in the park.